Fine tuning our route through Scotland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are working on a trip to the UK next summer. It will be our second trip as a family to the UK. On our previous trip, we went in December and spent time in London and in the New Forest area. It was a great trip & we are looking forward to going back.

Our current plan in something like this:
London 3 nights
train to York and pick up car
Yorkshire 3 nights, probably staying in Grassington
turn in car, possibly at Darlington, so we don't have to backtrack to York, train to Edinburgh
Edinburgh 3 nights,
pick up car at EDI
Scotland loop 4 nights with the last night in Glasgow before our flight out the next day.

Of course, it would be nice to have more time, but this is what we have to work with in between the kids' summer activities. I have a pretty good idea of how we're going to spend time before Scotland (many thanks to Morgana for her great info on Yorkshire.) What I'd really like is feedback for the loop we are thinking about in Scotland. We hope to see some castles near the route, do some short hikes, and just take in the scenery. We decided not to go too far north, with the idea that we'll be back some day to do northern Scotland and the isle of Skye. I've drawn out a route on a google maps, marking what we think are interesting castles, and sights. I'm not sure how to break up the nights apart from the final evening in Glasgow, and what the roads I have highlighted are really like.

Here's the link to my map:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...c.kdLV6aPf3R2g

Really appreciate any feedback and recommendations on where to spend the nights (leaning towards to different locations before Glasgow)
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 08:05 PM

Huh, interesting list of castles. Other than Inverary, most are not well known and you've missed the second most popular castle in Scotland. Edinburgh Castle is the most popular of course and Stirling Castle is second. You show driving right past it.

I can understand limiting your choices to the south given your limited time but you might want to consider Eilean Donan, Glamis and Blair which are among the 'top 10' so to speak. http://www.visitscotland.com/en-ca/s...ottish-castles

Alternatively, you could look at staying in castles which have been turned into hotels. http://www.celticcastles.com/castle-...list/scotland/
Most of course are not really castles but manor houses. Many built by merchants rather than nobility. There are some of the real thing however which were built for defense. Usually if it is called a Tower rather than a castle then it is the real thing, that is built for defense.

Why stay in an Edinburgh hotel when you could stay here instead. http://www.celticcastles.com/castles...r/default.aspx
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 08:40 PM

Perhaps Jennifer is planning to visit Edinburgh Castle during her stay there. No real need to do both Stirling and Edinburgh unless one has plenty of time.

Personally, I think your castle visits and other tourist stops are fine just not sure you'll have enough time for all of them. Save Eilean Donan, Blair and Glamis ( actually those are not my favorites, I prefer Dunnottar, Drum, Fraser,Craigievar and Crathes ) for your next trip. I'm not too fond of top ten lists anyway.

Sorry my iPad doesn't pick out your route very well. Others can more readily advise on the length and amount of time the trip will take. Off hand it does seem like a lot of sightseeing for what amounts to just three days if your last night is in Gladgow.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 08:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I can't open your link on my iPad so I don't know which castles you listed. I'll look when I get home later tonight. But Eilean Donan is simply a pretty photo op and otherwise is nothing to write home about. So if it isn't on your itinerary mores the better IMO.
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 10:00 PM

OK -- I'm home on my MacBook and when I click your link I need a gmail user name/password. So I can't help you.

Maybe write out a narrative telling us where you are going . . .
Old Nov 5th, 2014, 10:08 PM

This is so weird -- the thread list isn't being updates when a new post is added. I posted the above 8 minutes ago and it still hasn't topped your thread?????
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 01:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
janis, sounds like you've got a computer problem. The link opens fine for me and the thread is updated.

I do have to say that for me, this is castle overkill. I often feel that with the exception of the Tower of London, most castles blend into one in my memory, but maybe that's an age thing! Memories of ruins overlooking great scenery don't stick, but the scenery does. Staying overnight in a castle is OK once.
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 06:06 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I also think it's a bit castle-heavy (but I must admit to being less a castle lover than many. For the ruined ones, seen one... and for the places like Inverary, I tire of an excess of pikes arranged as sunbursts on the walls and dead animals looking down on me, so maybe not the best judge.)

I'm glad you include Kilmartin on your list, and in fact if you have an interest in historic sites, I might suggest you revise the first part of your trip and drive from Yorkshire to Edinburgh rather than taking the train. From the Dales, it would dead easy to visit Durham and the Northumberland coast en route to Edinburgh, keeping the trip more linear.

If you're attracted to historic sites, there's nothing to compare Durham Cathedral and castle (IMO as fabulous as York if not moreso.) You could visit Alnwick, and for dramatic castles, Bamburgh should win some sort of prize. Then just up the road, the Holy Isle (Lindisfarne) is about as historic a location in Britain as you can get, and beautiful to boot. Lindisfarne would provide an interesting context link to the West of Scotland, too.

You might also consider returning to Glasgow via Loch Fyne and the Cowal Peninsula, taking the ferry from Dunoon over to Gourock on the way back. Might take a little longer than going past Loch Lomond, but way less traffic and (IMO) no less scenic, maybe better because you're not constantly watching the car ahead of you.
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Janis, sorry the link isn't working for you. Our route takes us from Edinburgh to Glasgow. We'll go towards Duone Castle, Inchmahome Priory, and Drummond Castle. Then up to Glen Coe and back down the coast past Oban. Somewhere in that route, we'd backtrack to Kilchurn Castle. Past Oban to Kilmartin Glen then back up to Inveraray Castle. Finally south past Loch Lamond to Glasgow.

Yes, we will see Edinburgh Castle while we're in Edinburgh, and then we'll skip Stirling on our drive. We don't plan on seeing all of the castles, they're just ones we think might be interesting on the route we chose. The only two that are on the must see list are Duone (first real show our kids saw was Monty Python in London) and Drummond (mainly so I can see the gardens.)
Gardyloo, yes I would love to go to Northumberland. We originally had thought we'd drive up to Edinburgh, staying a few nights to see some of the places you mention. But, we had to cut that due to our time constraints. I think it merits its own future trip, and I could easily spend more time in Yorkshire.

Rubicund, yes, some of the ruined castles are mainly for the scenery! Plus the kids like the ruins more than the 'stately home' type.

While staying in a castle would be fun, it's probably too expensive. We need 2 rooms at most places, either a small hotel or b&b would be our preference.

Any suggestions for a stay on the coast? Oban seems obvious, but maybe there are smaller villages worth staying at? Besides the b&b we'd just need a pub to eat dinner at.
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 09:14 AM

Have some sort of gmail issue (weird . . .) I don't use gmail but must have signed up for it at some point and when I click on the link it says I need to sign in to gmail. But it might also be because I use google map classic.

But what you describe is a lovely itinerary. Doune, Inchmahome and Kilchurn are three of my favorites. Especially Inchmahome.

I personally don't think this is 'castle overkill' since Doune, Inchmahome and Kilchurn are all totally different.

I personally would not go out of my way to visit Inveraray though.
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 09:37 AM

Got it -- had to create a new gmail password and your map came up. Yes - a very nice route. For something different you might consider a short detour over the hill from Loch Lomond to Helensburgh and visit Charles Rennie Mackintosh's Hill House.
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 10:12 AM

bookmarking
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Janis, glad the map is working. Don't know why it made you log in, though. Wish there was a better map app.
Thanks for the idea of Hill House. I'll take a look at that.
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 02:02 PM
Original Poster

We would like to spend time at a lake, maybe take one of the boat tours. Given our route, any suggestions for which lake to pick? Should we take until we get to Loch Lomond to do this?
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 02:18 PM

Either on Loch Lomond or you can take a steamer on Loch Katrine which is not far from the Lake of Menteith/Inchmahme

http://www.lochkatrine.com
Old Nov 6th, 2014, 02:19 PM

. . . Inchmahome . . .