Finally got the DH to Spread his Wings and commit to Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK - this has been a subject of conversation for at least a couple of years in our household. I wanted to go to Italy for two weeks with a third week in Greece. The hub was non-committal. Finally we have compromised to two weeks in Italy only with a promise that I can go back to Greece with the girls or perhaps with him to Sicily and Greece.
Places in Italy that we want to go - Venice, Rome, and the Amalfi coast. I think 3 nights in Venice, 4-5 in Rome and the rest on the coast but I need your expertise and advice on this trip please. Any input on places to stay/eat/see are most welcome.
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 11:11 AM

What time of year are you going?
Old Mar 19th, 2007, 03:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
And a hotel budget would be helpful.
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 06:03 AM
ira

Hi G,

Good for you.

I'd fly into Venice and out of Naples, or vv.

See www.kayak.com

On the AC, I can highly recommend www.lesirene.com.

Old Mar 20th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

enzian - I'm thinking September/October. I see from reading more recent posts that September is still pretty busy, right?
Jean - I have no idea what going rates are. The DH is definitely budget conscious and I would tend to splurge more on the coast.
ira - I was thinking the same-into Venice and out of Naples. If I plan this way will it be more expensive? Le Sirene looks lovely. Any more rec's on hotels you well seasoned travel guy?

Thank you everyone!
Old Mar 20th, 2007, 12:49 PM

I can step in here and tell you that, although Ira likes Le Sirene based on his trip to the Amalfi coast, there are also other opinions given by posters who have been in the area many times; you can read some of them on these and other threads:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34960354

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34962575
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

ekscrunchy -
Boy, I see what you mean! A veritable fountain of information. Gotta LOVE Fodorites! Read both threads, gazed at SeaUrchin's pics and I can't wait. Are you going this fall? I have to plan and research for awhile since our trip will not be until October 2008. A lot of reading to do here! Thanks.
Old Mar 21st, 2007, 07:22 PM

"Going rates" are anything you want to spend. At some point, you've got to decide how much that will be.

Do some searches here for "Venice hotels," "Rome hotels," etc. Do the same at www.venere.com and www.tripadvisor.com. Compare the recommendations in several guidebooks. (FYI, the number of stars a hotel is given does not necessarily equate to luxury but rather to the number of amenities it offers, such as elevator, A/C, room service, parking, gym, pool, restaurant.)

For a trip in October, I'd suggest getting your reservations nailed down in April or May. (Others may say this is too early, but during our visit to Rome in October 2006 our hotel's owner told us that October is now her most requested month.)
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Jean - OK so I must decide what the budget will be for rooms. Thank you so much for giving me the links and advice to begin my research. I had a feeling that October was becoming more and more popular and your advice rings true. I have both Rick Steve's book for Italy and Fodor's, but I must say this webiste is my favorite. There are so many travelers who are willing to share their experiences and tips. What kind of itinerary did you have for your trip in Oct 2006? Just curious since we plan on staying two weeks if my estimate of 3 nights Venice, 4-5 nights Rome, and the remainder on the Amalfi coast is reasonable for a first time trip or if we should spend more time in either of the first two locales. We want to sight see, eat, relax, and soak up the beautiful history. Not much in to the art museums but do want to see one or two. More into ruins, architecture, and the beauty of Italy.
SeaUrchin - are you out there? Any advice you can provide is most welcome. I have read many of your posts and seen your wonderful photos on pbase.
Thanks Fodorites!
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 04:58 PM

I like your current thinking of 3 nights Venice, 5 nights Rome, 6 nights Amalfi Coast. Not too much moving around. If it were my trip, I might allocate the time 4/5/5, but perhaps I'm more into museums and history, less into relaxing.

Our trip in late October 2006 covered some places we'd visited previously, and I'm not sure how helpful the itinerary would be for a first-timer. Anyway, it was:

2 nights Milan (family history research)
5 nights Florence (with friends)
7 nights Spoleto with a car (we'd previously spent time in Perugia/Cortona and wanted to base farther south in Umbria this time)
5 nights Rome

Our hotels:
Hotel Star, Milan 159 euros
Tourist House Ghiberti, Florence 153 euros
Hotel San Luca, Spoleto 150 euros
Hotel Fontanella Borghese, Rome 200 euros

Happy Planning!
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 05:15 PM

Hello galelstorm!
We, too, vacationed in Rome & the Amalfi coast in October (2006). Two things we were surprised about - it's still warm there (short sleeves!) & it's still crowded! It was a perfect time of year to travel that area - you'll love it!
Old Mar 22nd, 2007, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Hi Jean- Well, the DH's family history is in Naples and Sicily and he doesn't want to go to Sicily on this trip. That's perhaps the next trip unless he opts out and I get to go to Greece with the girls. That's why I figured a little more time on the coast to maybe do a little "la familgia" search. So I really appreciate you sharing your itinerary with me.
dorkforcemom - I could be darkforce mom - anyway I appreciate your thoughts. I figured for warm weather still and with everything I have read on this website October is becoming quite the popular time of year. I am so excited to go. Have you gazed at seaurchins pics? The colors are phenomenal!