COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Venice or Naples? Where to Start & Finish?

Old Oct 19th, 2009, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

We're planing a trip to Italy for my 50th BD next early September....
We've decided on an itinerary, BUT....we can't decide which direction to
start and finish. Here's where we're going....
Venice -3 nights
Florence -2 nights
Tuscany - 3 nights
Capri - 2 nights
Positano - 4 nights.
I'm leaning towards flying into Venice and ending on the coast and flying back from Naples. If, we fly into Naples, would it take long to get to Capri from the airport? Would be be too tired? We've been to Venice before, and it's pretty easy to get to the hotel from the airport. I know it's subjective....but I'm wondering if anyone has done a similar itinerary and what they would recommend.
Thanks!
Diane
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 11:26 AM

It is easily doable. If you land in Naples it is a short taxi ride to Molo Beverello which is the port you take the aliscafo (jet boat) from. You may have a short wait to get the next aliscafo. Then it's about 40 to 45 minutes to Capri. We've done it many times except we go to Ischia.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 11:54 AM

in Sep i'd start in the cooler and apt to be rainier north - Venice and work my way south to dependably warm if not dry weather. Northern Italy IME gets cooler much wetter weather the longer september dwells on
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 01:09 PM

Not thinking of weather or logistics, but mainly going with aesthetics and feeling.....arrive in Venice. We flew into Marco Polo and eased into our Italy trip with pleasure after a 9 hr. time change and 14 hour flight.

The serenity and peacefulness of a city with no cars, sirens, etc. was perfection and helped us conquer jet lag so easily.

Enjoy!
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I think I will take your advise and fly into Venice. I agree that it is a peaceful city to arrive to and
also the weather may be better earlier in the month.
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 03:13 PM

we were just talking about whether we should fly out of Naples or Venice on our next trip. I vote Venice as I think it would be more difficult to get early morning flight of out Naples if we were staying on the Amalfi.

Wouldnt be to bad to end any trip in the "serene one"
nice and mellow before going home..
Old Oct 19th, 2009, 05:40 PM

From what I have read on Fodor's, most flight to the US out of Venice seem to leave very early in the morning. I've often read of people having to leave their accommodation at 5.30am to get the Venice airport in time for a flight. If it was me I would prefer not to finish my holiday under that sort of stress.

Hope you have a lovely holiday. What a great way to celebrate your 50th!!