Finalising my 4-day itinerary in Murren

Old Mar 12th, 2019, 02:14 AM
Original Poster

Finalising my 4-day itinerary in Murren

Could you please help me finalize my itinerary for Murren in July?

Day 0: Arrive
Day 1: Schilthorn observation deck AND Murren to Gimmelwald Hike
Day 2: Männlichen – Kleine Scheidegg Panorama Trail
Day 3: North Face Trail (Murren > Murren)
Day 4: First to Schynige Platte trail
Day 5: Depart to the Dolomites

Questions
-Would you replace/change any activities?
-Should I do Jungfraujoch or Schilthorn, bearing in mind I want to do a hike that day, too?
-I'm secretly planning on proposing to my girlfriend. Any recommendations on scenic spots where I can do this in private?

Last edited by CledTravel; Mar 12th, 2019 at 02:37 AM.
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 07:03 AM

If interested, our trip report here covers a two-night stay in Wengen with one of the best days ever, to Murren and Schilthorn. You will love Murren. 3 Countries, 8 Places, 8 Nights, Awesome!

A couple of spots come to mind to pop the question. A short walk above Murren (a spot where paragliders regularly launch), there is a hillside (first photo) that was beautiful; and then the top of Schilthorn (although there is a big James Bond theme there), there are numerous spots that you can get away and there is the skywalk (which might be busier and might involve some spectators). There is also a little funicular that goes above Murren to a quirky children’s park but there are many private spots up there as well. You can’t go wrong anywhere. When the mood strikes, and it will,………

Old Mar 12th, 2019, 09:45 AM

Day 2: Männlichen – Kleine Scheidegg Panorama Trail

Kl Scheidegg to Wengen is a lovely downhill trail with wondrousviews over Lauterbrunnen Valley and up to Murren.

Gimmelwald to Stechelberg is a nice trail too but more demanding.

Grutschalp to Murren is a nice flat trail along the cliff's edge - at a safe distance.
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 01:14 PM

This is my photo of Gimmelwald. Be careful at Piz Gloria. The rotating restaurant made my very dizzy and I had to go back down to Murren immediately. Thin
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 01:25 PM

Gimmelwald has a famous hotel with a nice restaurant featuring local Swiss favorites - and the cableway from it seems to plunge down to the Lauterbrunnen Valley - Nervous Nellies stand in middle of large gondolas:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gimm...ih=625&dpr=1.5

Some reasons for returning via Gimmelwald-Stechelberg then postal bus or sweet few-mile walk along gurgling streams - Trummelbach Falls is on the way - neat water cascade inside the mountain - viewing platform inside but could get wet!

https://www.google.com/search?q=trum...w=1280&bih=625
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 01:31 PM

Piz Gloria. I took this photo in 2011. Thin
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 02:00 PM

Here is James Bond at Piz Gloria, which was under construction during the filming of on Her Majesty's Secret Service:

https://www.google.com/search?q=jame...igEAZ9zyFJkCM:
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 03:13 PM

CledTravel -

How exciting to propose in Switzerland! I have a suggestion for a spot we've had entirely to ourselves on more than one occasion, but keep in mind we travel off season, so it could well be a whole different story in July.

Take the train to Wengen and walk the track to Staubbachbankli. This 2.75 mile return walk begins near the Hotel Baren and leads to a gorgeous viewpoint overlooking the Lauterbrunnen Valley. The village of Murren can be seen perched up on a ledge on the opposite side.

I think your itinerary looks great. The Jungfrau trip is more time consuming than the Schilthorn, but if you plan well you should have sufficient time to do both the train and the Männlichen-Kleine Scheidegg walk. The train journey takes over two hours each way (from Interlaken, less from other points) the walk takes about 90 minutes.
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 03:19 PM

And Jungfrau train with a Swiss Travel Pass even is so so expensive - passes only get 25% off above Grindelwald and Wengen.
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 03:06 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Melnq8 View Post
CledTravel -

Take the train to Wengen and walk the track to Staubbachbankli.
Thanks so much. I have made a note of this trail. You don't happen to have a link to this trail by chance? I couldn't find one on Google.
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 06:00 AM

Old goats at Kleine Scheidegg. I took this photo in 2012. Thin
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 06:40 AM

Cledtravel -

I just did a Google search and found very little on it, other than a few travel forum posts (including a few of mine). Possibly why it was so quiet!

We discovered it at the Wengen Information Office, where they had a print out of local walks, which also included these two (also from Wengen) which we've also taken a few times, and had to ourselves.

Leiterhorn - The path begins near the Hotel Jungfraublick and steeply climbs to the woods, then winds through forest and meadow. It ends at a viewpoint overlooking the Lauterbrunnen valley and Interlaken, and the views from up here are pretty incredible.

And an old favorite:

Hunnenfluh, which begins near the Hotel Belvedere. This is an easy walk for the most part, but it does get a wee bit steep towards the end. Fabulous views of the valley, Wilderswil and Interlaken.
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 07:28 AM

I suppose you know that the Schynige Platte - First hike is much more strenuous than promenades like Maennlichen - Kleine Scheidegg, North Face Trail, Staubbachbaenkli, Leiterhorn etc.
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neckervd View Post
I suppose you know that the Schynige Platte - First hike is much more strenuous than promenades like Maennlichen - Kleine Scheidegg, North Face Trail, Staubbachbaenkli, Leiterhorn etc.
Yes, thanks. I have been wondering if the extra energy and time will be worth it when there are plenty of great short hikes that I could do in its place.
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 01:11 PM

Lake Thun from the Schynige Platte panoramaweg. 2010.

Last edited by Pepper_von_snoot; Mar 13th, 2019 at 01:13 PM.
Old Mar 13th, 2019, 01:34 PM

Schynige Platte is also known for Teddy Land, with bears places all over:

https://www.google.com/search?q=schy...w=1280&bih=625