Ferry Services in Croatia

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip to Croatia for the first two weeks in July. We were thinking of flying to Zagreb and visiting Isteria area for the first week and then Southern Dalmatia for second week with stops in Split/Trogir, Hvar, and Dubrovnik.

Since we are going at peak tourist season, will we be able to get ferry services to Split, Hvar and Dubrovnik on the day we need to travel or do we need to reserve tickets in advance? Also, are there other ferry services besides jadrolinija?

We're hoping to rely on public transportation during our entire trip. Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 03:15 PM

Jadrolinija is the main ferry operator, but there are some others. Jadrolinija runs the Rijeka-Split-Hvar-Korcula-Dubrovnik coastal service which is twice-weekly. The journey from Rijeka to Split is overnight and that should be booked to be sure of getting a cabin. Other journeys do not need to be booked in advance if you're travelling without a car.
Old Jan 24th, 2007, 04:32 PM

We visited Croatia last September – Jadrolinija does not take reservations (or it did not use to take reservations).
We took the car ferry from Split to Hvar, and had no problems. Try to arrive at the ferry terminal about 1 hr in advance – the ferry is huge, you should be fine.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 07:37 PM

They would not let us reserve ahead for that service from here, or from Dubrovnik.. but i THINK the latter was because it was within 24 hours of the ferry. I tend to be a planner and a worrier. People posted here, telling me no need to worry. When we got to Split 4 hours early (last June), we found that the ferry to Hvar was sold out!!! We freaked. Went to other windows. Only after several lines/windows did a kind woman tell us that there was another ferry going there (not Jadrolinja) about 8 minutes walk away. We scrambled to figure out what and where and did manage to find it and get on. (It also sold out soon after.) So... try to reserve when you get to croatia... and at least 2 days ahead...if you can't, don't give up if it's full. You might want to build in an optional day just in case, though i'm sure it will be fine. Loved Hvar. We stayed about 15 minutes walk out of town and love the opportunity to stroll to and from. We rented a scooter (a first for us) and it was one of the most memorable days. It is the most pleasant way to get around Hvar and see the coast, lavendar fields, goats and villages.
-kimberly (& jeffrey)
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 07:58 PM

A good website for travel info in Croatia is www.visit-croatia.co.uk see if one of the travel agents can make reservatios for you.
www.katarina-line.hr
www.atlas-croatia.hr
I have found that unless you can book on line. treval business,s are slowwww
in replying
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 12:51 AM

The fast catamarans are relatively small and may be full, but the car ferry to Stari Grad is much bigger and should always have space for foot passengers. There are buses and taxis from Stari Grad to Hvar town. On most days Jadrolinija also runs a car ferry from Split to Hvar town (though cars cannot be landed there).