Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Finding that perfect spot in Tuscany or Umbria

Old Jan 12th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Travelling through Europe in the spring and meeting up with friends in Italy in May. We are looking for a place to stay put for one week that has charm and character, is in or within walking distance to a village or small town that has a bakery, cafe, grocer and restaurant(s). We would like to be able to do day trips to Assisi, Perugia, Montepulciano and possibly Florence, although it is worth more than a day. If anyone knows of such a place I would love to hear about it. As always, thanks for any help!
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 03:18 PM

I'm guessing there are dozens of places that would work in your plans. First question: Will you have a car or will you be using trains?
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 06:38 PM

Try the Politian apts in Montepulciano.
I assume you will have a car.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 06:48 PM

We loved Cortona although for day trips you may want to be a bit further west. Area around Montalcino and Montepulciano would be nice. We based ourselves at Il Falcionaire outside of Cortona and loved the property and the little village. More popular due to Under the Tuscan Sun, but still charming.
Old Jan 12th, 2007, 08:13 PM

We stayed at Hotel Salivolpi just outside of Castellina in Chianti in 2003 and it was very nice. About an 800 yard walk to the town, very nice grounds with a lot of green space, a pool, very good breakfasts. http://www.tuscany.net/salivolpi/index.html

There are lots of places like this throughout Tuscany and Umbria. Cortona and Montalcino are also very nice and we've used them for bases for exploring Tuscany also.
[email protected]
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies. We will have a car so are able to get around easily. I will check into the places mentioned. Grazie!
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Bobthenavigator,

We will be staying at the Politian Apartments in Montepulciano this June. Any particular recommendations of things to do, stores to visit, places to eat, etc. in Montepulciano or nearby?

Thanks,

Greg C
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 03:40 PM

Try these Greg !

GOOD EATS IN TOSCANA---2006
I have never been called “ BOB THE FOODIE” , but here are some of the best places to eat in Tuscany based on feedback from many of my clients. Reservations are suggested for most!

$=inexpensive $$=moderate prices $$$= expensive

FLORENCE:
Osteria del Cinghiale Bianco $$ Across the river & very good.
La Giostra $$$ Excellent, but you must book in advance

SIENA:
Osteria Le Logge $$ Great place for lunch and near Il Campo
Cane e Gato $$$ A fixed price & menu for a true feast—allow 4 hours

LUCCA:
Buca di San Antonio $$ Best in town and near San Michele
Il Giglio $$ In the piazza of the same name---favorite with locals

SAN GIMIGNANO:
Il Pino $$ Very good typical Tuscan fare
Le Vecchie Mura $ Good value for a tourist town

MONTALCINO:
Taverna Grappolo Blu $ Popular with locals as well.
Ristorante Poggio Antico $$ Excellent cuisine 5km south of town at winery location

MONTEPULCIANO:
La Grotta $$ Near San Biagio church & very good
Café Poliziano $ Great place for lunch on shopping street

PIENZA: Latte du Luna $$ Best choice in this charming village

BAGNO VIGNONI: Osteria del Leone $ Good lunch choice in this spa hamlet

MONTICCHIELLO: La Porta $ Charming place with outside terrace

SAN QUIRICO: Trattoria al Vecchio Forno $ Good food & fair value

CASTELLINA: Al Gallopapa $$ Creative & varied menu in Chianti

Old Jan 16th, 2007, 10:21 AM

Thank you Bob.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 01:00 PM

We stayed right outside (within waling distance) to a town called Castiglion Fiorentino. Very close to Arezzo. We easily took daytrips all over Southern Tuscany. You could stay closer to Umbria. How about Spello? Lots of choices near there. We LOVED it.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 01:29 PM

My wife and I were just in Italy over Christmas for more than a month and we went to Perugia where my sister lives. We did a lot of touring around and found some amazing sites, so it's hard to make a choice about the best, but one of the ones both my wife and I like was the Green Earth, which we found here: http://www.italianvisits.com/tours/u..._del_verde.htm - It's a pretty amazing place because of location and how they have recently restored the building. We were both very impressed with Umbria and I'm sure you will be too.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 02:00 PM

starfish, I know you want walking distance, but if you change your mind, I loved Le Case Gialle, an agriturismo on an award-winning organic olive oil farm in the hills of Umbria. It is not far from Bevagna, Montefalco, Spello, and Assisi. I think it is about 45 minutes from Perugia if memory serves me.

5 of us had 2 apartments in an old farmhouse, nicely renovated, for one week in late May. The fireflies had just hatched and were everywhere in the olive groves -- magical (a childhood memory for me, as we don't have them where I live now).

We enjoyed hanging out cooking & eating & swimming in the (cold) little swimming pool, hiking in the surrounding hills, driving to hilltowns including Assisi, and a couple longer daytrips, one to Florence (some of the group did Deruta & wineries instead) and a long but lovely day to Sant' Antimo, Montalcino & Siena.
www.lecasegialle.it

What I liked about Le Case Gialle for a group is we could rent apts and thus be together & yet have our own space.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 02:19 PM

Two other lovely, but smaller, villages that make a great base for visiting the area are Panicale and Paciano, about 45 minutes from Perigua, fairly near Lake Trasimeno. Both are designated among the prettiest towns in Italy.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 02:56 PM
hdm

We loved Montepulciano -- beautiful town, gorgeous views of Tuscany, great shopping street and restaurants. We stayed there for a week and used it as a jumping off point for day trips to Montalcino, Pienza and at least one other nearby town. We rented a great apartment through vrbo and had lovely 'slow' days exploring Montepulciano and environs. On some days, late in the afternoon, we'd drive to another town, explore, have dinner and then drive 'home'. Other days, we'd shop in town and cook at home or eat out locally. It was a wonderful week and we really got the feeling of living there -- well, as much as you can in a week.

If you do a search of Montepulciano, you'll get lots of information.

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 02:00 AM

Hi starfish1,
we recently have a beautiful experience close to Florence in a Tuscany villa. They were very kind and helpful.
Londa village is 3 minutes walk from the villa, there you can find shops, restaurants, cafe' and whatever you want. Florence is 35 minutes by train. We made daily trips to Siena and Montepulciano by car.
This place is amazing, please go to http://www.villaluciano.com for pictures of the area...