Cortona as a base for Tuscany?

May 11th, 2003, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Cortona as a base for Tuscany?

Hi all

Our plans for Italy this summer were to be in Rome, 5 Terre (Camogli), Venice and Positano. Our friends who were never in Venice have cancelled and we've been there. Thinking Tuscany for the 4 days we would have been in Venice, We've been to Siena, San G, and Florence previously. Is Cortona a good base to explore new areas or should we look elsewhere? Thanks in advance
LM
May 11th, 2003, 03:42 PM

I'm anxious for this same answer. I've started working on summer of 2004 and thinking of renting apartments for a week each in a number of locations. Although I'm not much for the countryside, I've found a couple of great apartments right in Cortona and am very interested.
May 11th, 2003, 03:43 PM

If you haven't been there, check out the area south of Siena around Montepulciano, Montalcino, Pienza. It's my favorite area in Tuscany. IMHO Cortona is a little out of the way, unless you're interested in Umbria also.
May 11th, 2003, 03:54 PM

Cortona is a lovely town but it is barely in Tuscany--it is on the edge of Umbria. It is not my choice as a base location--I agree with Betsy about south Tuscany. Cortona is just too far from the main attractions of Tuscany.

Also, Camogli is a great location for the Ligurian coast but is a long way from the CT. It would take more than an hour by car to Monterosso. Good luck !
May 12th, 2003, 05:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Betsy and Bob!

I had a feeling that Cortona was a bit "out-of-the-way", but had nice hotels. We will look to the south.

Bob, we picked Camogli to be away from all the hustle and bustle and we like leisurely boat trips. The CT will be only 1 or 2 days. We will be exploring other areas of the Ligurian coast and possibly a day trip to the Barolo wine country in Piedmont (sp). Any hotel recommendations in southern Tuscany would be appreciated. Thanks.
May 12th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

topping for me!
May 12th, 2003, 10:29 AM

FOrget hotels, stay at a farmhouse or vineyard or castle!

Check out www.tuscany.net
Good luck!
May 12th, 2003, 10:36 AM

If you want to stay in a castle try Hotel Della Fortezza (http://www.abitarelastoria.it/en/ope...rtezzahotel.it) in Sorano (very southern Tuscany) you'll be near Pitigliano, Sovana, Saturnia, and about an hour west of Orvieto. If you want a farmhouse try La Crociona in Montfalcino. A vineyard that produces Brunello(http://www.lacrociona.com/)
Within a half-hour is Siena, Pienza, Montepulciano, Bagno Vignoni, Sant Antimo, Monte Oliveto Maggiore, Buonconvento, Murlo.
May 12th, 2003, 11:17 AM

Cortona is definitely too far. Besides that, I didn't care for it. Pienza is a good central location for the hill towns. I stayed in Sinalunga (sp) which was a little out of the way, but loved the Locanda del Amorosa there! The town isn't worth seeing though. When I go back I will choose to stay in Montepulciano, Montalcino, or Pienza, with a couple of days at the Amorosa. WT
May 12th, 2003, 11:23 AM
RAR

Cortona is great for seeing southern Tuscany and northern Umbria.. I think it'd work. Can go from Cortona to the two Monte's/Pienza easily... and also south to Perugia/Assisi.
May 12th, 2003, 11:31 AM

Hi Lewis. Like both Betsy & Bob, we loved the part of Tuscany that's south of Siena. It seemed to have the most classic "picture-postcard" cypress-trees-lining-the-ridges scenery we saw in Tuscany. But, as a town, we also loved Cortona.

I'd say that if you think you're going to spend most of your time in southern Tuscany, and would like your base to be convenient, then pick a town in that region. However, if you don't mind driving from further away and would like a real nice town (IMO of course) in which to stay, then consider Cortona. Or, if you want to explore Umbria as well as Tuscany, then Cortona may make a good base for that.

We visited Montalcino, Montepulciano, and Pienza. All of them were lovely, picturesque towns but I believe they're all quite a bit smaller than Cortona, which struck us as quite a bit more lively.
May 12th, 2003, 01:09 PM
RAR

Montepulciano and Cortona are about the same size. The other two are smaller.
May 12th, 2003, 01:33 PM

Thanks, RAR. The only one I wasn't sure about, relative to Cortona, was Montepulciano. It seemed smaller but that's probably because we got there later in the evening and didn't get a sense of the overall size of the town.

One of the things we loved about Cortona was Piazza Garibaldi, which has a wonderful curving balustraded overlook toward the valley below and Lake Trasimeno. In the later afternoon when we were there, it was packed with people milling about, talking, and -- ah, amore! -- embracing.
May 12th, 2003, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great new info!
I am looking into Hotel Monteriggioni in Monteriggioni beautiful looking castle within a small walled city. And during the first week of July, there'll be a Medieval Festa!!In southern Tuscany Hotel Sette Querce in San Casciano dei Bagni. Anyone ever hear of this hotel? And Il Falconiere in Cortona which I've read is a very nice hotel.
I finally came up with the right 'search' phrase and really picked up some great info from Bob the Nav from 1998! Thanks to all.
May 12th, 2003, 07:57 PM

Il Falconiere is a beautiful hotel...the food is also wonderful...it is below Cortona, not in the town, you will have to drive up and park outside to go into Cortona.
May 12th, 2003, 08:01 PM

Stealing this post for my own purposes, I've found most of the comments to reinforce my desire to stay in Cortona. I've done quite a bit of Tuscany, but only touched on Perugia, Assisi, and Gubbio for starters and Cortona seems like a good base for those. And frankly I have no desire to stay in a farmhouse or rural castle or villa. I love to stroll a town at night, have dinner and drinks and walk back to my place, not get in a car and drive. I don't plan to cook, and sure don't want to have to drive somewhere for dinner every night.
May 13th, 2003, 07:56 AM

Cortona is also convenient for Lake Trasimeno and Arezzo.

I too love Cortona and would certainly stay there again, though it's not central if your main aim is visiting places in Umbria.

Steve
May 13th, 2003, 08:52 AM

I just came back from a week in Cortona and the location was superb. The hotel I stayed at was the San Luca. Within a few minutes walk you can be in the Piazza, passing by small shops and wonderful little restaurants. You can also take a 20 minute walk to see Bramasole, the villa that was the subject of "Under the Tuscan Sun". The file was shot in Cortona this past October. We used Cortona as a base for visiting Montepulciano, Assisi, Perugia, Siena and Florence. Some other folks took a train to Orvieto which is also a nice hilltop town. I loved the area and found Cortona to be charming and welcoming.