Search

Ferry schedule in Scotland

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:34 PM
abp
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ferry schedule in Scotland

Where can I find the ferry schedule for Scotland?? Want to go to Islay.
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 05:40 PM

abp,

Try www.calmac.co.uk - you'll find details of most of the Western Isles ferry services there, including Kennacraig to Islay.

Jim
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 06:52 PM
abp
Original Poster

thanks

suggestions for places to stay on Islay
with kids (7 and 9)?
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:04 PM

Sorry abp - I can't give any personal recommendations as I haven't actually visited Islay myself.

If you haven't looked yet, visit the "official" Scottish Tourist Board site at www.visitscotland.com which will outline the available accommodation on the island.

By bringing this message back to the top maybe one of our Scotland experts will be able to help - are you there, Sheila & Janis?

Jim

Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:18 PM

Reporting for duty

Hopefully Sheila will see your question - she seems to spend quite a bit of time om Islay.

This B&B is in a lovely location www.welcomingyou.co.uk/carraigfhada/

And this site links to three that look decent. http://www.scottishaccommodationinde...sleofislay.php
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:22 PM

Where is Islay? Not in my Ordnance Survey Map index. Is this a real place or a nickname?
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:36 PM

Yes - it is a REAL place! and a pretty large place at that. Look on your map to the west of the Kintyre Penninsula. There are two large islands - Jura and Islay, and several smaller ones . . . . . .
Old Jan 3rd, 2005, 06:57 PM

PalQ,

You'll find Islay on OS Landranger map 50.

Jim
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 03:24 AM

First work out how you are going to get to Kennacraig - by land via Loch Fyne or by island hopping via Arran.
Bowmore is the biggest place & has a famous distillery in the centre of town - on the other hand there are distilleries all over Islay.The island is small enough to be toured using anywhere as a base.Its not busy.
Its famous whiskies are notably peaty - if you dont like peaty try Bruichladdich. (mmm...)(on the west coast road)
If you like peaty try Laphroig, its the colour of dirty water and can only be opened standing near a window.
The beaches are beautiful but ask before swimming as some places have a fierce undertow.Watch out for the black rabbits!

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 04:57 AM
abp
Original Poster

We are going to see Laphroaig. My husbands favorite whisky...I know it's very peaty. But he likes it. We probable will visit some others but not sure how much time we will spend there and what else we will be doing.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 08:05 AM

Sorry- been away for New Year.

I have been able to read some stuff on my new mobile phone, but my friends all thought I was seriously sad, logging into Fodors whilst on holiday

Can you give me an idea of the sort of place you like staying? I do know Islay pretty well, tho' I'm not a B&B type myself. Self catering a nd hotels I can do falling off a log.

What time of year are you going and how long will you stay? Will you have a car?
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 05:10 PM
abp
Original Poster

We plan on being on Islay 2-3 days with our 2 children (7and9). We are shopping for airfare at this time but are planning for late May or early June. Plans include flying into Scotland and leaving from London, total trip time 10 days that doesn't include travel. Self-catering would be nice but I thought most of them require a weeks stay. I am open to any of your suggestions. I was wondering if you were still around since I have read some of your earlier posts. Oh..we will have a car.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 06:44 PM

Many self-catering places offer short breaks of 2 to 4 days in the off season -- but since you will be there over the Bank Holiday weekend you are probably out of luck.

try the B&Bs I mentioned before or do a google search - you are bound to find more too choose from.