Ferry or Plane from Athens to Santorini

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the advantages/disadvantages to flying versus ferry from Athens to Santorini -- e.g what is the approximate cost for each, length of journey for each, etc...

Thank you.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:38 PM

Hi

The main advantages is time. 7 hours on a ferry v 30 minutes on a plane. Check Aegean Air and Olympic Airlines sites for cost.

If you are strapped for cash and not looking forward to the ferry trip I think you can get an overnight one and hopefully sleep through it (and save on accommodation costs).

If it's in your budget I would fly. We flew from Santorini to Athens and with the new metro extension into the city this option is even more attractive.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:47 PM

Hi,
There is an overnight ferry from Athens to Santorini. You can book rooms with a bath on this ferry. The ferry is not fancy at all, so that might bother you. The ferry arrives in Santorini at around 7a.m. This early hour can be a disadvantage. With a bed room the ferry is not that much cheaper, but you are spending you hotel for one night on the ship. I have taken the ferry to Santorini and then flown back to Athens. The ferry is a nice experience, but you can take a boat cruise around Santorini if you fly, so you do not have to miss the wonderful experience of sailing in the caldera of Santorini. If time is a factor then fly, otherwise try the ferry, but remember that the ferry is not up scale at all and the food is not that great either. Have a fabulous time.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. As time is an issue, and cost is not so much so, I think we will fly. How far is it from the airport in Santorini to Oia? Are taxis readily available? Also, what are transporation options from Athens airport to hotels near the sites?

Thanks again for the help.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:59 PM

The Santorini airport is about 30 minutes from Oia, and taxis are easily found.

From Athens airport you can take the bus, Metro or taxi into town. The bus is only 2.9 euro, the Metro is 6 Euro one way and the taxi is at least 20 Euro.
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. You're an endless source of useful information!