Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ferry/Hydrofoil Baggage Charges from Naples to Capri?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was reading up on the Hydrofoil and Ferry info form Naples into Capri. The http://www.capri.net/salsa/lang/en/page/transport.html site mentions a fee or charge for baggages brought on to the ferry. Does anyone know exactly how much these charges are?

What is the name of the Port you arrive at in Capri? How do you get around, to your hotel, etc once you arrive?
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 12:37 PM

Once I took the hydrofoil from Naples to Capri, and I don't remember the fee for my suitcase, because the guy just tagged it. I normally take the boat from Positano to Capri, and they also tagged the bag, but I can't remember the fee, so it must have been nominal. From Capri back to Naples, the guy from the hotel had already tagged my luggage, since you leave it at the hotel at a certain time before you leave to catch the boat back. All over Capri, you see men in little trucks carrying bags from the Marina to the hotels, and back again. As you get off in Capri, you are at the Marina. You should let the hotel know in advance if you are coming by boat or hydrofoil from Naples or wherever. As you get off the boat, a porter from the hotel tags your bags and takes them to the hotel separately from you. You just stick with your carry-on that has your valuables. The porter from my hotel normally gives me the little ticket to take the transport (can't think of what it is called at the moment) up the hill to Capri proper. From there, you just walk to your hotel. As I stated earlier, the day before you are to leave, let the guy at the hotel make your boat reservation back to Naples. They also will pre-reserve a taxi there to take you to the airport. The morning you leave, the hotel will tell you at what time you have to have your bags at the desk, in order for them to get hauled back to the boat. He will also give you a ticket to get back down the elevator thingy from Capri down to the dock. You will have a number for the specific part of the dock to be at to catch your boat back to Naples (there may be five or six different boats, etc. at the dock.) Hope this helps. The main thing is to coordinate with your hotel.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 01:22 PM

Once you dock in Capri you have the option of either taking a cab or riding the funicular up the little mountain. the latter is j ust for people and small hand luggage - its too tricky to take on large bags - they must either go by taxi or be organized by your hotel.

From the top of the funicular you walk to your hotel (there are no cars in the center of Capri - only a few taxis for luggage and a bus [I believe] if you want to go to the other town - Anacapri.
Old Jun 22nd, 2004, 02:44 PM

I recently took the ferry from Naples to Capri and there was no fee for luggage. On the way back, we went to Positano and there was a 1.50E fee for each large piece.

Upon arrival in Capri, the porters start gathering the luggage and delivering it to the hotels. Not knowing what to expect, I found it very intimidating to have a stranger go after my luggage. Instead, we akwardly hauled our own uggage up the funicular and then to the hotel. The hotel told us we were suppose to have the porters take it. On the way back, they porters brought the luggage to the docks. It was 7E for each large piece.

There are buses/cabs to Anacapri, but mostly you walk from place to place. We made reservations at La Grotelle (?sp) one night and thought we could take a cab, but nope. Had to walk--uphill all the way.