Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ferry from Santorini to Ios-anywhere to store luggage at the port?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1st, 2008, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have noticed that the ferry from Santorini stops in Ios on the way to Naxos. My husband and I are considering taking an early morning ferry over to Ios and spending the day there, maybe having lunch or drinks somewhere with some time to check out the beaches a bit, and then take another ferry a little later to Naxos where we have hotel reservations for another few days. Does anyone know if there is somewhere to store luggage near the port? Also, if we purchase tickets from Santorini through to Naxos, would we run into a problem catching a later ferry from Ios to Naxos if we got off and wanted to take the later trip?
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 08:12 PM

I don't know from experience, but I think you should be able to find someplace to stash your bags on Ios.

Use www.gtp.gr and www.openseas.gr/OPENSEAS/index_en.vm to check ferry schedules.

I don't know how old you and your husband are and I don't know if you're aware of this, but Ios in the summer months is your basic 20-something 24/7 party island.
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Well we're hardly 20 anymore, but we do like a good party scene once in a while. So maybe after a week of relaxing in Oia, a day of whoopin' it up with the youngin's might be just what the hubby needs. I'll be sure to pack the tylenol.

We leave this Friday, do you think we need to book the ferry before we leave or are we safe to just book it on our day of travel?
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 08:27 PM

No need to book ahead. The ferries aren't full this time of year.
Old Jun 1st, 2008, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info!
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:42 AM

If you have ticket from Santorini to Naxos, you could disembark at Ios (assuming your ship stops there), but you'd have to buy another ticket to go on from Ios to Naxos. All the Greek ferry companies use a computer booking system which ensures that ships are not overloaded, so a ticket is only valid for the date and time printed on it: if you change your itinerary, you need to change your ticket.
The best place to leave luggage is usually at a ticket agency: if you buy a ticket from them, they will normally look after your luggage until you board your ship.
Old Jun 2nd, 2008, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for that info too. I guess if we decide to do this, we will get a Santorini/Ios ticket first, and then an Ios/Naxos ticket when we are ready to go on. We're still deciding if we want to do this or not, but I guess we can decide when we're there.