Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

does capital one charge card still not charge a fee for foreign transactions?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2008, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 09:39 AM

I used it in October and it was without a fee for transactions.

I will be using it in April, too....
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

GraceJoan, as always, thanks. Do you have your dining list compiled yet? Am working on ours for the May trip but as always, too many choices!
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 11:48 AM

Most credit card issuers offer a variety of cards with different rewards/fees/features. The only way to know the details of the card you have is to ask the card company yourself. Capital One (the company) has been undergoing some changes recently, so I would not rely on someone else's experience (or even my own) last year as proof of what terms will apply to me in the future.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 11:55 AM

Well, if they decide to change the fee, they have to send a new disclosure and I haven't rec'd one.
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 11:58 AM

they have the terms on their website, you should look
Old Jan 29th, 2008, 12:07 PM

I did get a notice from them that they were going to start charging a foriegn transaction fee. The no fee was the only reason I had gotten that card!
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 06:45 AM

I just happened across this post and I called Capital One. I was assured by the person that I spoke with that they were NOT adding foreign transaction fees. I told her that someone had said they had received a letter to that effect. All she said was that she would need their name etc....

I asked if I needed to speak with a supervisor to be certain. She assured me that she had all the answers!!

So, who knows!!
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 09:14 AM

Perhaps kencolian was thinking of another card and made a mistake. I have a Capital One credit card, have for years, and I haven't gotten such a letter. Also, it could have been a fee for using the ATM, not the conversion charge percentage add-on. They do charge a flat fee (around $2 or so) for using their MM ATM card in foreign ATMs.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 09:30 AM

I have had the Capital One card for over 2 years now. Last time I used it for Foreign transactions was in Sept. 07 and was not charged any fee. I ahve also not received any letter stating that they were going to start charging these fees.
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 11:13 AM

Christina: Have you been charged a fee by Capital One for using an ATM card in a foreign ATM on a money market account?

The current disclosures on the Cap One website specifically say that there are NO fees charged for the use of ATMs on a MM account, either in the US or foreign (unless fees are charged by the owner of the ATM).

<i>ATM withdrawal charges
(ii) International transactions/Outside the United States. We will not charge you any fees for ATM withdrawals; but fees may be charged by the owner of the ATM.</i>
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 03:56 PM

First time with Capital one atm card. It is linked to a money market savings account. I asked them specifically, must the ATM card be tied to a checking account. They said NO! I have always heard that the ATM card must be tied to a checking account for withdrawals in Europe. Can anyone verify if atms tied to money market savings accounts will work in Europe?
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 04:18 PM

I just applied for a Capitol One card last night by phone. I was very specific about the fact that the reason I wanted the card was because they don't charge foreign currency transaction fees. I was reassured that there is no fee to exchange currency and that they use the current currency conversion rate.

I plan to use the card only when I travel out of the country.

Just a tip: if anyone else is thinking of doing this, they have many different card options with different points/dollar, interest rates, etc. Be sure to sign up for one with no annual fee!
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 04:50 PM

I just got a capital one card for our trip this summer, and I was assured (over the phone) that there were no transaction fees. I know - we still need to read the fine print, but that is what I was told.

Old Apr 11th, 2008, 04:52 PM

I used a month ago in Argentina. Perfect.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 06:52 PM

From the thread &quot;confused about conversion rates&quot;...this link was posted. No fee, but read for yourself.

http://www.capitalone.com/contactus/...lOnce#17_pg_sl
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 06:19 AM

This is an old post but someone asked me if I had been charged an ATM fee on my Cap One MM card. In fact, I never used it abroad, I only used by regular bank ATM card, but that definitely was in the terms when I got the card (a $2 fee when used in a foreign ATM). I hope they have changed that as I might use it this summer.

However, the original question which was asking about credit cards, actually.

Old Apr 12th, 2008, 06:45 AM

No Capital One CC foreign transaction fee as of 3 weeks ago. No notification of any changes thus far.
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 04:28 PM

Because I have check blanks for my Money Market account with Capital one, I assumed that I would withdraw from &quot;checking&quot; when I tried my ATM card abroad last year. That did not work. I called them when I got home. They knew every bank, the date, the city, and that I punched &quot;checking&quot; when I tried to withdraw. They told me I had to withdraw from &quot;savings.&quot; I haven't tried that abroad yet, but it does work here in my city. Here there is a $2 fee levied by my bank. I don't think I will be charged abroad.
I was clueless when it didn't work for me, so I hope this helps someone else.
Boots
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 04:37 PM

Boots, thank you, thank you, thank you! =D&gt;

I leave next Saturday, so I took my new Cap One ATM card up to my local bank to give it a test run and got the &quot;invalid transaction&quot; because I tried it as a checking acct.

Another test run tomorrow using the savings option!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -