Reload this Page >

Ferry from Naples to Messina?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 04:10 PM
Kay

I am finalizing my trip plans and have read on this site that there are ferries from Naples to Palermo. Is there a ferry from Naples or Salerno to Messina? I am going from Positano to Taormina and trying to decide whether to drive it or take a ferry or hydrofoil? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks. Kay

Old Jan 16th, 2002, 07:07 PM
topp

topping

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 01:11 AM
Steve James

Hello Kay,<BR><BR>There's no direct ferry from Naples/Salerno to Messina.<BR><BR>There is one from Naples to Milazzo, but this takes about 15 hours as it goes via the Aeolian Islands.<BR><BR>There's also a summer service between the Aeolian Islands and Messina, - so if you're going in the summer you may be able to use this if the connections work for you.<BR><BR>Let me know if I can be of more help ...<BR><BR>Steve<BR><BR>

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 09:12 AM
GAC

To get from Positano to Taormina, I would take a ferry to Salerno (45 minutes) and then an InterCity train direct to Taormina (entirely a day trip)

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 02:15 PM
xxx

I agree with GAC. The 10:51am direct IC train from Salerno (arriving at 5:08pm in Taorimina) is indeed the best public transportation option. I've some doubts, though, that there's a ferry that takes you to Salerno on time. In case, unless you want to spend on a taxi, you'd have to take SITA buses (45 min to Amalfi + 1:20 hours to Salerno, starting your journey at 7:15am). The next direct IC train leaves Salerno at 2:20pm (arriving at 8:30pm). You'd have no problems catching this one using the scheme suggestedby GAC.

Old Jan 17th, 2002, 02:49 PM
GAC

I don't have the ferry schedules handy, but I expect that there should be no problem reaching Salerno in time for the 10:51 a.m. IC train. A six hour ride to Taormina is not bad, and most of the way it's scenic. The train station is a mere 300 yards from the ferry dock off of Piazza della Concordia. I very highly recommend seat reservations on the IC train, which originates in Rome and which is likely to be quite full by the time it reaches Salerno. You might also want to go first class.

Old Jan 18th, 2002, 01:28 AM
Steve James

The earliest Positano-Salerno ferry to Piazza della Concordia in high season is at 08.00, - so you'd have no problem with that option as GAC said.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:49 AM
gac

Caronte &amp; Tourist Lines runs a daily car ferry from SALERNO to MESSINA, departing at 13:30 and arriving at 20:30. By contrast, the fast intercity train makes the Salerno to Messina run in roughly five hours.