Ferry From Barcelona to Genoa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone taken the ferry from Barcelona to Genoa. We are planning a trip in May and on the web the boat really looks appealing. Comments.
Old Mar 4th, 2006, 05:24 PM

Hi

In May last year we took the overnight ferry from Barcelona to Genoa and loved it - the Grandi Navi Veloce line and our ferry was the Fantastic.

We were a little disappointed that there were not heaps of people on the ferry, as not all the restaurants and entertainment lounges were open and it was still a bit cool for the swimming pool to be in use. The food was not terrific - more cafeteria style, pre-prepared food.

They did have entertainment and dancing in one of the lounges during the evening, and a piano player in another small bar.

Our cabin was quite nice - double outside room with bathroom.

The ferry left barcelona at 9.00pm and arrived in Genoa at 4.00pm the next day. It was quite pleasant on the outside deck area with lots of sun lounges and for most of the second day we were within (distant)sight of land. Arriving from the ocean made for a spectacular entry in Genoa.

We booked over the internet and thought it was quite a cost efficient and different way to make the trip. Very few of the passengers were English speaking, so for me that was an added appeal.

On arriving in Genoa (as we were one of a few people who did not have a car, or someone to meet us) it was a little confusing as we had optimistically thought it would have been a lovely stroll along the waterfront to our hotel. We ended up getting in a wierd looking lift which took us up to a high covered walkway which led to a small shopping centre and the booking offices for the ferries. Outside here was a huge main road and no taxis stand in sight. After about 10 minutes we did get a cab and it was a short ride to our hotel, Agnello D'Oro.

Please ask if you want any other info.

Helen

Old Mar 6th, 2006, 01:37 AM

ttt for Highlander
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 02:54 AM

I used the service in December when the ship was the FANTASTIC, though other GNV ships are used sometimes. There were few passengers: the weekend trip (Friday night from Genova, Saturday night from Barcelona) is promoted as a mini-cruise, but I think the ship is quiet on other nights. There was an entertainment programme, with a trio of flamenco dancers as the main show. We ate in the cafeteria, but there is a waiter-service restaurant. The ship is Italian, and the food and drink are Italian. Announcements on board were in various languages, and there were passengers of several nationalities, though no other English-speakers.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 02:56 AM

I should add that as well as GNV's service to Genova (www.gnv.it), Grimaldi Ferries run similar ships from Barcelona to Civitavecchia (www.grimaldi-ferries.com), but I haven't tried them.
Old Mar 6th, 2006, 12:25 PM

Very interesting , sounds great, Highlander how much did you pay for the tickets ? Tks.