Ferry/boat to Positano in May??

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 08:58 PM
Laura

Ferry/boat to Positano in May??

Do any ferries or boats run from Naples to Positano in May? Hydrofoil doesn't, but does that include ALL boats/ferries?

Thanks.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 05:49 AM
Steve James

Laura - Ferries run to Positano from SALERNO in May. This is a very convenient route as the jetty is 3 mins. from the station.
Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Laura

Steve, thank you for your help. If I understand correctly, one can take the train from Rome to Salerno, and then could we transfer to a ferry in Salerno to get to Positano in May? (May 5)

And then is the reverse true? (Ferry from Positano to Salerno, train to Rome and northern destination...Florence)

Laura

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 10:16 AM
GAC

Affirmative. The train station in Salerno is 200 yards from Piazza Concordia. From there, walk another 300 yards to the end of a very long concrete pier from where the ferries depart for Amalfi and Positano. It should take 6 or 7 minutes in total to walk from the dock to the train station.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 02:23 PM
Laura

FANTASTIC! That seems so much easier/efficient/fun getting to Positano from Rome. Does anyone know approx how much the ferry is, approx how long a trip it is, approx how often they run each day (in May) and/or where I can access the ferry schedule when I'm ready to 'get this party started'??

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 03:41 PM
GAC

If you take an early morning train from Rome (travel time, approx. 2 hrs., 30 mins.), you'll probably be taking a late morning or early afternoon boat to Positano. My recollection is that there are departures at 11 a.m., 2 p.m. and 3:30 p.m., or thereabouts. I'll see if I can locate more precise info. The trip takes 70 minutes, and the fare is under 7 Euros per passenger. Check back tomorrow or the next day.

Old Jul 17th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Laura

Thank you, "GAC," for all your *very helpful info.
-Laura-

Old Jul 18th, 2002, 01:50 AM
Steve James

Laura - The timetable is on
www.coopsantandrea.it

Times are currently 11.40, 14.10 and 15.30 (- I don't think you'll make it for earlier ones!) They run a similar timetable in spring, but you can re-check next May.

As GAC says, the trip takes 70 mins. with a short stop at Amalfi.
The fare is currently EURO 5.00

There's no taxi service from Positano jetty (- no road access), - so unless you're staying near the jetty you might want to pre-book a porter service.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:49 AM
GAC

The fare from Salerno to Positano by ferry is 5 Euros. See www.salernocity.com
"Intercostiera" Tra.Vel.Mar.
schedules effective from 26 march 2002
telephone: 089/873190

You can time your arrival by train in Salerno to keep the connection time to the ferry to within one hour (so you won't get bored).

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 11:19 PM
Laura

We're staying at Villa Rosa. Wondering how we'll get bags up to hotel, then, from the Positano dock. Seems that'll be quite challenging. Any suggestions for that? Is the only way to the hotel a climb UP? hmmmm.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 05:01 AM
Steve James

Laura - There is a porter service in Positano. Your hotel will be able to book this for you, or you can book directly.

The number I have for this service is:
Tel. Positano 875310
(From last year's brochure, - assuming it's still the same)

Alternatively the boat company ticket office or nearby tourist office (150m) should be able to arrange it for you when you arrive, (- though to avoid a wait it might be better to pre-book).

Hope this helps ...

Steve

P.S. I think Villa Rosa is on Via C. Colombo, - in which case it's about a 20 minute walk up.

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Laura

Steve, thank you SOOO much for your help. I'll ck out the porter service and run it by Villa Rosa, as well. It seems like it'll be work out well, then, after all.