Ferris Wheel on the Thames

Sep 22nd, 1999, 05:59 AM
Valerie

Ferris Wheel on the Thames

I read recently in the NY Times that London was building a giant Ferris wheel along the Thames that will have great views. Does anyone know when this will be completed, where exactly and if it plans to stay there forever or if it is just a millenium item. I also understand there is a new Tube by Westminster and a walk-way across the Thames by St Paul's. Anyone have info on this?

Sep 22nd, 1999, 06:22 AM
Bill Irving

When I was in London this past June, We took a boat ride from Westminster Pier to Greenwich. We passed the spot where they wer building the ferris wheel. I don't remember the exact location (I am sure that a more recent visitor can give you the exact location), but it is located somewhere near the beginning of the boat tour. The guide on the boat tour said once the ferris wheel is up it will only be up for a certain amount of time & then taken down. I seem to recall that that the amount of time in operation is to be some where between 2 - 5 years.

Sep 22nd, 1999, 06:39 AM
Diane

Valerie-there was construction around the Westminster tube station in June-don't remember if it was opened or closed at the time. Don't recall any bridge at St. Paul's. Was on a similar boat tour and saw the ferris wheel on the south side of the Thames, don't recall the exact location but I think it was before Shakespeare's New Globe.

Sep 22nd, 1999, 08:31 AM
Beth

They were supposed to have the wheel completed fairly soon, but I saw a story in the last week or so, where they were having serious trouble hoisting the thing. So they had to delay for a couple of weeks. They still expect it to be ready for the millenium, but I imagine no one is certain exactly when. October or November most likely.

Sep 22nd, 1999, 11:46 AM
Kavey

It's scheduled to open to the public at some time in January.

Kavey

Sep 22nd, 1999, 03:18 PM
Sherry

You may want to refer to Rick Steves website (Ricksteves.com). One of the latest newsletters discusses the Ferris wheel and other recent London information, primarily related to the millenium.

Sep 22nd, 1999, 03:29 PM
Sherry

Regarding the Rick Steves website: Click on Travel News September, click on Travel News Back Issues, click on Millennium London under August. Great info and links!

Sherry

Sep 27th, 1999, 11:11 PM
Jane

Its going to be on the South bank [ie south bank of Thames just east of west minster bridge] and I suspect you will not be able to miss it cos it is huge BUT to the huge embarrassment of all concerned they could not lift it up safely and are having to check all the mechanics again so goodness knows when it will be operational.

Sep 28th, 1999, 03:46 AM
Tina

They are calling it the British Airways London Eye and it is located right in front of the County Hall. We stayed at the Travel Inn County Hall in April and there was heaps on construction going on with the building of the wheel supports and the new tube line.

I was wondering the other day how construction was going and found a web site which is:
www.british-airways.com/londoneye
It has a picture of the view from the top of the Shell Building which updates every couple of minutes.

Sep 28th, 1999, 03:47 AM
Lu B.

Just returned from London. I had hoped to see the London Eye "up and running", but it was still lying flat next to the county hall on the River Thames. It is behind schedule.