ONLY FOR GOURMET'S TRAVELLERS

Sep 26th, 1999, 07:30 AM
Rosy

ONLY FOR GOURMET'S TRAVELLERS

Please advise the best restaurants in: Bellagio,Como;Verona;Venice;Florence;Siena;San Gigminano;Lucca;Santa Margherita de Ligure,Portofino.If you can give the complete address and phones will be great!
Thanks,
Rosy

Sep 26th, 1999, 02:40 PM
Paulo

Best is a matter of personal opinion (and wallet). Anyways, if your wallet has plenty, you may try:

Verona: Il Desco (Via Dietro San Sebastiano 7, Tel. +39 045/595358; expect to pay Lit 125,000 p/person without wine)

Florence: Enoteca Pinchiorri (Via Ghibellina 87, Tel. +39 055/242777; Lit 220,000 p/person without wine)

Venice: Very difficult to say which's best ... some say it's da Fiore (Calle del Scaleter 2202, San Polo, Tel. +39 041 721308; Lit 100,000), some other say it's Harry's Bar (Calle Vallaresso 1323, San Marco, Tel. +39 041 5285777; Lit 140,000).

Siena: in town there aren't first class restaurants ... maybe the best is still the Al Marsilli (Via del Castoro 3, Tel. +39 0577 47154; Lit 50,000); outside town I would try the Poggio Antico in Montalcino (Tel. + 39 0577/849200; Lit 75,000) and/or the Arnolfo in Colle di Val d'Elsa (Via XX Settembre 50/52, Tel. +39 0577 920549; Lit 85,000)

Sta Margherita Ligure and Portofino: IMO, the best restaurant in the area is the Cą Peo in Chiavari (strada Panoramica, via Caduti 90; Tel. +39 0185 319696; Lit 110,000)

Lucca: La Mora a bit out of town, in Ponte a Moriano (Via Sesto di Moriano 1748, Tel +39 0583 406402; Lit 70,000)

Paulo

Sep 27th, 1999, 10:49 AM
stephen kaye

verona>trattoria tre marchetti venice>da fiore firenze>il cibreo siena> oste

Sep 27th, 1999, 10:53 AM
Beth

I got some of my restaurant recommendations from Paulo, so its hardly surprising that I agree with him. I can't say if these are the best restaurants, but they are the best ones we ate at.

Florence: Enoteca Pinchiorri for sure, the best restaurant of the whole trip. I recommend the tasting menu, because then you don't have to make up your mind.

Venice: Da Fiore was outstanding. The best meal we had in Venice, and one of the best meals of the trip. We also really liked an inexpensive place called Alla Vedova. Not as adventuresome, but somewhat more real than the others. Sorry, I don't have the address handy.

Siena: we ate at Ai Marsili. It was very good, some of the courses better than others. I can't compare it to other places in Siena, but we did have better meals elsewhere in Tuscany.

Sep 27th, 1999, 11:52 AM
elaine

Venice:

My four star meal was at the Cipriani hotel restaurant. I was not staying there, but I felt like a queen. A private launch takes you from a stop near San Marco to the hotel and back again. Perfect service and equisit food in a beautiful room. In nice weather, walk about the grounds of the hotel.

The Cipriani hotel is owned by the same
family as Harry's Bar which when I peeked in was very crowded and hectic.

Sep 27th, 1999, 11:52 AM
elaine

Venice:

My four star meal was at the Cipriani hotel restaurant. I was not staying there, but I felt like a queen. A private launch takes you from a stop near San Marco to the hotel and back again. Perfect service and equisit food in a beautiful room. In nice weather, walk about the grounds of the hotel.

The Cipriani hotel is owned by the same
family as Harry's Bar which when I peeked in was very crowded and hectic.

Sep 27th, 1999, 11:56 AM
elaine

sorry, I forgot to give the phone number
041 520 7744
Isola della Giudecca, 10

Sep 27th, 1999, 12:07 PM
Barbara

Rosy,

You didn't mention Lucca in your e-mail and I have some favorites there that were recommended to us by a gentleman in Sonoma, CA who was born there. They were each wonderful. Buca di Sant'Antonio, Lucca's oldest restaurant, IL Giglio, next to the Universo Hotel -- great Gran Farro soup, a regional specialty, and Da Giulio, a family trattoria that is very popular. You will love Lucca - definitely rent a bicycle and ride the 21/2mi. wall around the town. Buon Viaggio.

Sep 27th, 1999, 02:23 PM
Paul

Another very strong vote, make that two votes (Deborah also) for Da Fiori in Venice.

Sep 28th, 1999, 05:29 AM
Paulo

It has been 4 years since we've been to the Enoteca Pinchiorri in Florence. Once Beth mentioned the Menu Degustazione I may also mention the Menu Sorpresa (or something like that). You have to order all the wines you want to drink (a white and a couple of red wines or vice-versa and a dessert wine) and the chef chooses the menu according to the wine list you ordered ... you only know what you're getting when it's served.
Regarding Elaine's comment on Harry's Bar, yes, the bar is usually a zoo, specially from 6 to 8pm, when people gather before dinner (usually elsewhere) to sip dry martinis or a Bellinis. The dining room upstairs, though, is pretty normal ... each table is served only once in a particular evening so reservations are essential.
Paulo