Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What are my other options if not purchasing CDW insurance when renting a car?

Sep 27th, 1999, 06:47 AM
Meghan

When I rent a car domestically I'm covered on both my Visa card and my normal car insurance for the collision damage waiver on rental cars. But, I've checked with both Visa and my insurance and they cannot extend the coverage to Europe (we are renting a car in Spain). It looks like I'll have to purchase the CDW through the rental agency, but does anyone else have another option? It nearly doubles the cost of our rental car.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Sep 27th, 1999, 10:23 AM
anna

My Visa Gold card from MBNA covered the CDW in Denmark and did not charge me the extra 1-2% to convert charges to dollars.

Sep 27th, 1999, 12:24 PM
Maira

Check with AAA. If you are a member and rent thru their agency, they may cover your CDW. Their rates are usually good.

...or obtain a Visa MBNA (just for the ocassion).

Sep 27th, 1999, 06:53 PM
steve

It may just be Spain that the problem is with. My Visa covered me in England this past summer. Another thread indicated that the Visa no longer covers in Ireland and I don't think it ever did in Italy

Sep 27th, 1999, 09:07 PM
Donna

Agree...check with AAA (or join) or acquire credit cards with better coverage before going.

Sep 27th, 1999, 09:53 PM
Elizabeth

Meghan,
Check with TRAVELGUARD they offer a CDW for $6/day plus a $3 fee. You may want to ask around, because I have not used them, but was considering it for a rental in the Netherlands. I ended up cancelling the original rental agreement because my VISA would not cover it. I request another rental and put it on another VISA that did cover it through AUTOEUROPE. They were very friendly and had no problem canceling the original agreement.

Sep 28th, 1999, 06:44 AM
Vern

I was in Spain last year and rented a car. My Mastercard covered the CDW.
Different issuers of Mastercard & Visa
offer different benefits. You may want to check into a new card that will cover the insurance.