Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Feedback on hotel choices for 2 weeks in Greece?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to get feedback on whether we've chosen good hotels for our trip. We don't want American-style hotels - prefer some local flavor - but still nice with good service and well located. We have chosen:
Athens Gate in Athens
Esperas Houses in Santorini
Medusa Resort in Naxos
Aetoma Hotel in Nafplion
Sofitel at the airport for the last night in Athens (for convenience - we are ok with American style for sake of convenience)

All are well rated on Trip Advisor but we'd welcome any other comments. Thanks!
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 07:30 AM

Medusa is right on Plaka Beach which is our favourite beach on Naxos. It looks lovely.

We would not choose to stay there because we prefer to be closer to town for all its activities sightseeing and dining options. If you are a beach person I do not think you can do better than Plaka.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 07:53 AM

The only one I've stayed in is Sofitel (twice). They have the most comfortable beds I have slept in anywhere! There is nothing better for an early morning flight than walking straight from the hotel lobby across to airline check-in (less than 5 min!). For a late morning/afternoon flight I would prefer to stay in central Athens. I wouldn't call it an American style hotel, though - Sofitel is owned by Accor Group, a French company, and is much the same as other luxury hotels throughout the world.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 08:00 AM

Esperas is a lovely hotel with a swimming pool and an on-site restaurant. The caldera view is partially blocked as is the view of most of Oia, but the sunset view is great.

You can go to Tripadvisor.com to check reviews for these hotels.
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Stanbr, on Naxos we are thinking we'll rent a car or moped to explore the island. Is it easy to drive from Medusa to the main town? We considered hotels within walking distance to town but they didn't seem to be as special/Greek as Medusa looks. Is there another hotel you recommend closer to the main town?
Old Jan 30th, 2010, 09:52 PM

Medusa is about 7km to Naxos town. There is good bus and taxi service. Hiring a car is probably a good idea. We have stayed out on the West coast beaches and at St George and have decided to stay at St George. It is easy to get to the beaches by local bus when you want a beach day. We simply prefer to stay near town. My wife's family is from the Caribbean and we know all about staying at a beach resort. Greece is not about spending 3 or 4 days on a beach. It is about culture and history and we prefer to spend the morning visiting small markts and shops in the old town then hitting the beach for an hour or two before strolling the 10 minutes back into town for dining and shopping.
For a hotel of similar Quality to Medusa try Nissaki Beach or Naxos Resort Beach hotel. For a slightly lower quality hotel try Galaxy it is about 25 meters from the beach or next door a delightful budget hotel with pool and distant sea views try hotel Spiros with kitchens. Preparing snacks and your own breakfast can be a real budget stretcher.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 10:00 AM

We stayed at the Athenaeum Intercontinental in Athens and really liked it. That was 7 years ago so things can change.

In Santorini we stayed on the Caldera which is just breathtaking for the sunsets. The one we stayed at has been bought by Katekias since then. Stay in Oia for sure if you want to enjoy your hotel and the sunsets on the caldera. That's what we paid for and it was worth it.

Have a great time.
Old Jan 31st, 2010, 10:05 AM

Oh I forgot to mention, we stayed at the Ilion Hotel in Nafplion and loved it. It was a lot of stairs to walk up but it was great. We had a suite with a jacuzzi.

At the base of the stairs is a great restaurant called Taverna tou Vasili.
Old Feb 1st, 2010, 09:07 AM

Athens Gate - thoroughly enjoyed it. Great location with very helpful staff, very modern, excellent breakfast buffet and outstanding views of Acropolis. One suggestion: it's on a busy street, so rooms on back side are quieter, and cheaper.

Sofitel at ATH - very nice large rooms with great amenities. Very quiet. As mentioned, very comfortable beds. Great choice for last night with early morning flight.
Old Feb 2nd, 2010, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the information!