Search

February Trip to Ireland Advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
February Trip to Ireland Advice

Greetings all!

I am returning to Ireland in February for business reasons, but then plan to do a little exploring after I am done and make a week of it. I went in October before, but was pleased with the weather. It was chilly but overall nice. Only day of rain was in Belfast when I got caught in the rain at Belfast Castle.

I will be in Dublin for two days then pick up a car (with my friend) and trying to see the countryside (no driving IN Dublin for me!)

Do you suggest staying south of Galway? I saw a post here that said the weather got worse as you went North.

I have to be back in Dublin by the weekend to drop off car and take the train to Belfast, before we fly out. We have four days. We want to see Cork and Kilarney definitely. Advice on this and should I pre-book B&B before we get over for those four days.

Thanks!
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 10:31 AM

Deb,
With only four days, I would spend the time in Cork & maybe Kinsale. With the short daylight hours and long drive times, save Killarney for another trip! There's plenty to stop and see on the way down to Cork.

As far as prebooking, I always do. I'm just too much of a worrier not to. I to, will be in Ireland the 1st week in February, and although I didn't have problems finding a place, I booked anyway. Only a few were closed until March.

I've stayed in Kinsale at the Kilkaw House B&B just outside of town. Last I knew they were open in winter.

Hope this helps!

ZJ
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 11:11 AM

It's Kilcaw House not Kilkaw.......
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. We are actually going mid Feb 18-26, but will be in Dublin 18 and 19 and Belfast 24 and 25

We were planning to be agressive in our coverage, but it sounds like we might want to limit ourselves. We know we want to go to Cork for sure.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 02:02 AM

DebPriceEire writes: "Do you suggest staying south of Galway? I saw a post here that said the weather got worse as you went North."
Sometimes it's just the reverse: On a November trip I stayed south of the Shannon and the weather was terrible. Rainy and windy! People I met in the flight back home told me they had been able to play golf at Portmarnock, Portrush and County Down. I didn't try the Links Courses like Old Head & Ballybunion, but Parkland Courses were mostly closed.

We stayed in Ennis (County Clare) on a short trip last February; we had great weather for our five day visit there.

It all depends on the storm tracks like NorEasters here in the eastern U.S. and there's no way to predict them this far in advance ...

Old Jan 14th, 2006, 08:53 AM

Yes! Go to Galway. Its a great town with lots happening. Visit the Roisin Dubh for tops traditional music.

http://lostmyguidebook.com/ireland/galway-roisin-dubh for some details.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 08:50 PM

i don't think you need book accommodation - at that time of the year they will be only too happy to see you coming.

however, be careful about travelling. we can have perfectly fine weather in february but more than likely you will have frost and ice and maybe even snow.

may and september are the two best months for good weather. but the winter can be ok too. i took pictures for my website in december 2004 in donegal of golfers doing the course with only shirtsleeves. strangely enough, december can be way better than february. today in donegal we had totally blue skies and sunshine - bit chilly but no need for a heavy coat. but as i stressed, february can be different. don't just assume travel will be easy then - you could strike lucky and have sublime weather but if you hit bad weather on such a short time span you really need to know you can travel easily though slowly through ireland.

adjust your plans to take this into account. the upside is that if you get good weather you will so much more enjoy the place you are staying

good luck and safe travel!

catherine
www.welovedonegal.com
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 09:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You have so little time, I would consider this: Fly from Dublin to Cork and rent a car there for touring around the SW. Then fly from Cork to Belfast. This would save you almost 2 full travel days.