Ireland in January

Old Aug 29th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland in January

Any thoughts on what to do in Ireland in mid-January? Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 11:57 AM

Where are you flying into?
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 12:54 PM

I have been to both Dublin and Galway in early February and had a great time. The smaller towns will be very quiet and many B&B's closed. If you fly into Shannon go to Galway and if you are flying into Dublin then stay in Dublin..you can do day trips from both places. Also, found great deals on the internet to Great Southern Hotel chain in Galway..good luck!
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 09:13 PM

I think it's a good idea, as long as you're prepared for some sight and B&B closures. I was there in late March a couple of years ago and some things had yet to open for the season. But we're not really "sightseers" anyway so it was no big deal for us.

On the other hand, we had no problem finding rooms at the drop of a hat, were welcomed warmly with comments such as "It's good to hear that accent again!" and did not have to battle other tourists wherever we went. We even paid 60 euro for a night in a 4-star hotel - we were the only guests.

What to do? Drive the countryside. Pubs. See the museums that are open. Pubs. Stop at churches. Pubs. Shop. Pubs. Browse bookstores. Pubs. Buy sweaters (you'll need them!) And did I mention pubs?

I'd do it.

Happy travels!

Old Aug 30th, 2005, 01:16 AM
Ardfert

The days are very short in Ireland in January-about 9-5 in the west (compared to 6-10 in summer).Temperature is about 4C (40F)with snow rare.On the coast the winds can be strong from time to time but the country is free of hurricanes.Expect rain for 9% of the time in the west,6% of the time in the east,mostly in the form of showers but sometimes lasting all day. I spent a few days in Killarney in January and the mountains there are beautiful in the winter too.Even the town was quiet but the tourist trade goes on there for 12 months every year.Look at the tourist board site (www.ireland.ie) for very good value accomodation deals,especially midweek and look at www.aerlingus.com for cheap flights.I would be inclined to fly into Shannon for a winter trip and visit the Cliffs of Moher,Dingle,Kenmare and Killarney for a few days.Connemara is another option.If you really want to live like a king for a few days stay midweek in Dromoland Castle (www.dromoland.ie) or Ashford Castle (www.ashford.ie)

Old Sep 1st, 2005, 10:44 AM

We were in Ireland in Feb. of this year and found plenty to do. We stayed at the Wandesford House B&B just north of Castlecomer and found a weeks worth of day trips out from there. A big part of our enjoyment was Anna Mcdonald at the B&B and her family. We were warmly welcomed and made very comfortable. Our last two nights were at the Fitzpatrick Hotel near Dublin, and I would not recommend that. Ireland was one of the best vacations we have every had, even in Feb.
Old Sep 5th, 2005, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. I'll be staying in Dublin and from the sounds of it I'll do just fine in January. I couldn't pass up Aer Lingus's $109 one-way airfare!
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 02:36 PM

Bring warm clothes as mid-January is probably our coldest time of year. Can we a lot of frost/ice etc. If you are just staying in Dublin there will be lots to do.
The Turner Exhibition at the National Art Gallery, for example, is only shown in the month of January. Places in general will be less crowded than in Summer months. Check out www.entertainment.ie which will give you ideas on theatre, music, clubs, etc.
Old Sep 7th, 2005, 02:54 PM

ttt