Reload this Page >

Shannon to Dublin in 7 days?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 05:21 PM
Jenn

My friend and I (both in our early 20's) will be travelling to Ireland at the end of January. We are flying into Shannon early morning, picking up our rental car, and have one week to explore Ireland and drive to Dublin for our return flight home in the morning. We will be staying in B&amp;B's along the way. Any suggestions on how we should plan our itinerary? What are some cannot-miss spots? Quaint and cozy B&amp;B's to spend the night? Enchanting scenery that we cannot miss? Beautiful castles? Great pubs for a pint and music? Any off-the-beaten-path spots? Is horseback riding in the Irish countryside completely out of the question in Jan/Feb? Also, should two girls (22 &amp; 23) be concerned about safety and driving around Ireland alone? <BR>Any ideas to help us create an itinerary that will leave us longing to return to Ireland for a second time will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Old Jan 1st, 2003, 02:32 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 07:47 AM
Kim

I shall be watching for a reply as my 20 year old daughter and I will be doing the same time trip in March. We will be hoping to get lodging in Dublin for St Pat. day.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 08:32 AM
Cindy

I'm twice your age and went with a friend who lived in Ireland for a couple of years but we had a great time and no problems. Driving on the wrong side of the road (which are no bigger than a path)when you're tired will be hard so be really careful,especially when you first arrive. Ring of Kerry, Rock of Cashel, Book of Kells in Dublin, Adare's cottages, Durty Nelly's &amp; Bunratty Castle near Limeick, Kilarney and the Muckross House &amp; Torc Falls, the standing stones -were some of my favorites. We mostly drove and stopped at B&amp;Bs as the mood struck. They were all great and had no problems getting rooms. We went in Sept so I don't know about your weather- cold and wet I would expect. Have some good craik (great time) and a pint for me!

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 07:36 AM
David D.

Jenn,<BR><BR>Don't worry about traveling with your friend. Ireland is not unlike most places in the world, in that it's quite safe. Just remember to use common sense in your travels. But then you should do that no matter where you travel.<BR><BR>In general, try not to cover too much terrain during your vacation. This is a common error. The west of Ireland is particularly beautiful, although as opposed to high season you'll have to deal with limited daylight and far fewer tourist amenities. Still, consider visiting:<BR><BR>-The Burren in County Clare <BR>-Killarney National Park, in Co. Kerry<BR>-Drive the Ring of Kerry (if weather is clear<BR>-Spend at least two days in Dingle town and on its peninsula (Slea Head)<BR>-The West Cork countryside is particularly appealing<BR>-On your way to Dublin, see the Rock of Cashel, located in Co. Tipperary<BR><BR>As regardslodging, I don't know if the folowing are open in January, but it's worth checking out:<BR><BR>-Clifden House, Corofin, Co. Clare<BR>-Killeen House, located just outside Galway City (which has a lively, youth-type buzz about it)<BR>-Shelburne Lodge, Kenmare, Co. Kerry<BR>-Greenmount House, Dingle<BR><BR>Many of the above are listed in Alastair Sawday's Special Places to Stay in Ireland, or you can get good, candid listingsin the Bridgestone Guide to the 100 Best Places to Stay in Ireland.<BR><BR>Speaking of lodging, before you leave for your trip you might want to consider securing your lodging. Otherwise, you'll need to spend a good amount of time searching places out during your vacation. Making reservations in advance locks you into a certain itinerary, but I think it provides good peace of mind before departing, giving you one less thing to consider during your trip.<BR><BR>Best of luck.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:42 AM
bill

The discussion over whether or not to book in advance will go on forever, but in January, you should be able to find rooms, though some will not be open at that time of year. Booking in advance is not necessary. One of the unexpected booking in advance concerns had been that it may take longer to find the place that you have booked than it would to drive into town and just pick a place. <BR><BR>Do what you are most comfortable with.<BR><BR>Bill

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 09:50 AM
paul

head west from shannon to the coast to recover from jet lag and then continue along the coast-as described above. as you meander to dublin, spend time in Kilkenny (not so much for the castle which is 19th century excess) but to see a town with the appeal that dublin used to have. the crafts store in the old mews across from the castle has stunning work by the best of Ireland's artisans. tap a smithwick's sale for me.

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 12:16 PM
Diane

Hi,<BR><BR>My husband and I traveled to Ireland last March. We had a week - and flew into Shannon and rented a car. We drove through Adare, and had lunch there - it was charming but tiny - so an afternoon is sufficient, in my opinion. We stayed 2 nights in Dingle and drove the peninsula (don't miss the Louis Mulcahey pottery factory if you like pottery!) We then drove to Killarney - and stayed overnight, then through the Killarney National Park. The town of Killarney is nice but quite touristy. If we had it to do over - we would stay in Kinsale which is approx. 20 miles away, and just spend the day exploring Killarney. We opted to take the train from Killarney back to Dublin, to avoid driving in the traffic mess that Dublin is! We used www.karenbrown.com for hotel/ inn ideas, and usually her choices are right on the mark. We always try to pack too much into our trips, and end up rushing a bit....so if you can, try not to overschedule. The frommer's website is great for travel idea's. If you get a night or two in Dublin - try the musical pub tour - that was really fun as well!<BR><BR>Good luck!

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 12:36 PM
david

Diane--the Kinsale I know about is a lot more than 20 miles from Killarney. Is there another Kinsale?<BR><BR>DES

Old Jan 6th, 2003, 08:49 PM
mikey

David,<BR><BR>I think she meant Kenmare

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 07:35 AM
IanG

Keep one significant factor in mind: the roads are no larger than an envelope. Don't look at a map and calculate 40 miles as easily and quickly traveled. It can take HOURS, begind trucks, agricultural vehicles, slow drivers from elsewhere. My brother made this mistake in his planning in April 2002 and we were on the road for 4 to 5 hours per day---and it was miserable. Plan shorter distances to enjoy the country not through a car window.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 09:28 AM
paul

re: roads. You can tell the major highways in western Ireland because they have the white stripe down the middle. don't expect a shoulder on the road for a convenient pullover. donleys and sheep have the right of way and dispute it vigorously. just relax and enjoy it--don't be like the family we met at the dunleary (sp is wrong) ferry dock who expected to get off the ferry at 4 pm and drive 100 miles to check into their hotel at six.

Old Jan 7th, 2003, 09:45 AM
bill

My goal is to make sure there is less than 100 miles between daily destinations, much less if I can or am on back roads. You will make pretty good time on the N roads but will never average more than 40 miles per hour. R roads are much slower. Be aware than traffic in the major cities and towns Limerick, Cork, Waterford etc) can be bad anytime but at rush hour(s) can be terrible. R roads will be much slower, but are not to be avoided. Then there are the other little roads that don't appear on all the maps. TAKE THEM! There are some beautiful hidden drives in Ireland.