Search

FCS heath forms and middle names - Urgent help

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2021, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FCS heath forms and middle names - Urgent help

Hi travellers,
I'm going to Menorca from the UK on Thursday and I have a question about FCS forms: do middle names have to be added on the forms? My middle name does appear on my passport, but not on my flight ticket. Thanks.
Old Jul 20th, 2021, 01:32 PM

I would check with the airline, but I think the name on the flight ticket has to exactly match the one on the passport.
Old Jul 20th, 2021, 02:23 PM
J62

Originally Posted by SusanP
I would check with the airline, but I think the name on the flight ticket has to exactly match the one on the passport.
The absence of a middle name on a ticket isn’t an issue.

But you’re asking about FCS… me? I’d just use my middle initial and split the difference. That way it’s consistent with both.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 08:55 AM

I would think so, also, after all, lots of people do have the same names and that's one more check. Billy Bob Thornton is not the same person as Billy Joe Thornton, etc.

I am very surprised anyone would have not put their full legal name on their passport, since it's used as official govt ID and you are supposed to put your "full name" on it. At least in the US, it is supposed to match your birth certificate as that's what you have to show when you first get one.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 10:26 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Christina
I am very surprised anyone would have not put their full legal name on their passport, since it's used as official govt ID and you are supposed to put your "full name" on it. At least in the US, it is supposed to match your birth certificate as that's what you have to show when you first get one.
My experience is that that is not accurate. The issue regarding "full legal name" is not that there is just one legal name but what one chooses to use consistently as their full legal name. My experience, as of 9 years ago, is that one may decide what that name will be. After a divorce I decided to eliminate all extraneous name choices (birth last name, second married name, middle name) and use my first name, no middle name or initial, plus first married name by which most people know me. I changed my drivers' license, bank accounts and, yes, my passport to reflect my chosen legal name. No court was involved, no proof was required for the changes, yes, even for the passport although the change was simple, just dropping the previously used last name. The law, as I understand it, is a name is legal if used consistently with no intent to defraud. So my "legal" name is one first name + one last name. I never forget what name I've used where, never put the "wrong" name on an airline ticket, no more complications. First name, last name, simple. And LEGAL.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 11:28 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
One more thing . . . regarding "At least in the US, it is supposed to match your birth certificate as that's what you have to show when you first get one." It's perfectly possible, again in my experience a number of years ago, to get a passport in the US without a birth certificate. My grandmother applied for a passport to join me in Europe. She was born in the wild west in 1896 and there was no birth certificate. The passport office used her presence in a census for proof of her birth. Another example: My son was not born in the US & I was unaware that I needed to register his birth. So when I returned to the US when he was 3 he had no proof of his birth or citizenship. There were 2 solutions, 1. petition the court in the country of his birth, or 2. have him declared a US citizen by virtue of my birth here. So he is a US citizen, has served in the military, has no birth certificate, but does have a Certificate of Citizenship. There's always a way!