Favorites in Sicily

Search

Favorites in Sicily

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2003, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorites in Sicily

We will be in Sicily for some time in June. I would like to hear about favorite adventures, sites, cities that you would suggest.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 06:55 PM
MMM

Wowanderer,

There are a few good posts here, including some good recent ones. You can do a search by "Sicily" or by entering a specific city name. However, some favorites are:

1. Palermo, the capital - The Palatine chapel mosaics, the cathedral at Monreale, the outdoor markets (Vucciria, etc.), tasty Sicilian cuisine.

2. Erice, an old town on the top of a hill not far from Palermo.

3. Cefalu - Seaside town less than an hour from Palermo. The attractions are the old town, the seaside itself, and especially the Norman cathedral.

4. Archeological sites - Agrigento, Selinunte, Segesta, Siracusa, Piazza Armerina (for Roman mosaics). Some areas have more "volume" in terms of sights to see than others.

5. Scenery - Taormina in the east, with a smaller beach resort at nearby Giardini Naxos. Many of the small islands off the coast of Sicily (Aeolian Islands, also Pantelleria).

6. Food - The exceptional cuisine based on a combination of lots of different ingredients not typically found in other regional Italian cooking. Fish, couscous, almond and pine nut flavorings, almond dessert wine, marsala wine, cassata siciliana, etc.

Also, many others. Enjoy searching this board for lots of more specific ideas. Sicily is fantastic, and I'm working on my third trip there.

MMM
Old May 3rd, 2003, 07:03 PM

Good evening, wowanderer
Cities in Sicilia not to miss are:
Palermo, Agrigento, Siracusa, Catania
Taormina and Cefalu...
When in Palermo, you have many places
to see, such as Cathedral,Palazzo Normanni,Quatto Canti,Chapel Palatina,
SG degli Eremiti, Massimo,Pupet theatre near the Politeama..if religious Monte Pellegrino and the cathedral at Monreale. Agrigento- Valley of the
Temples. Siracusa-Th Ortigia, Fonte Aretusaq, in the Arch. park. theGreek theatre, Grotto and the caves, and outside of Catinia, Paa Armerine and its Villa Casale. Catania, theDuomo,
Castello Ursino. Catania is a beautiful
city but much overlooked for some reason. Taormina, beatiful location,
hi up with very good views e.e Mt. Etna.
Last but not to be ignored is the toown
of Cefalu, its duomo, narrow streets
small size, but a very good place to visit. True Sicilian foods asre am adventure in its own. Pasta con sarde, grilled swordfish, and Sicilian desserts
can't be matched. Richard of LaGrange Park , IL>.
Old May 4th, 2003, 04:10 AM

I loved Ortygia. The whole vibe of the place was great. I also really enjoyed Hotel Gutkowski, on virtualtourist.com if you look under "ap6380" you will pull up a few pieces that I pulled from my trip report here. I have 3 or so pictures of each hotel that I stayed in. I loved Piazza Duomo, the Christian basilica is built on the site of the pre-existing Temple of Athena. You can actually see the columns if you walk around the outside of the building.
Old May 4th, 2003, 04:16 AM

I'm getting my travel sites mixed-up- the hotel pics are on igougo.com