Search

Favorite Vegetarian Restaurant in Benelux

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2006, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Favorite Vegetarian Restaurant in Benelux

Hey --

I'll be in Amsterdam, Bruges, Brussels, Antwerp...any favorite vegetarian restaurants? I'd love to hear.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 01:53 AM

I can't help with that, but I do want to make sure you know about the "Happy Cow" website which has listings for veggie restaurants by country and city. I have found them reliable in the past.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 01:57 AM

It's not a vegetarian restaurant, but Pazzo in Antwerp always has a good selection of vegetarian dishes. Their truffle dishes are famous; fresh pasta or risotto with truffle!
Address is Oude Leeuwenrui.
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 04:06 AM

Den Dyver in Brugge.

Although not vegetarian, they will prepare a multi-course vegetarian meal, and it will be phenomenal. In December, I had both a 3 course and a 5 course meal there (not at the same time of course) and they were so wonderful that they made sure I had "different" things to eat on each visit.

In 2002, I had a 7 course vegetarian meal there...I felt like royalty.

When you make your reservation, tell them you are a vegetarian.

www.dijver.be
Old Feb 2nd, 2006, 04:20 AM

Oh, and 'De Wok en het Tafeldier', Gentplaats 1 (not far from the fine arts museum (museum van schone kunsten)); it's a wok place, where you select your own food to be cooked by a chef in a wok. Big restaurant, but do book ahead.
There's a smaller version of this more in the center of the old town; 'Wok Away' in the Groenendal Straat, just off Huidevetterstraat (one of the main shopping streets).

And Pazzo is closed Saturday and Sunday. Booking essential. This is one of my favorite restaurants in Antwerp.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for these suggestions everyone. I'll print this thread before I leave. Hopefully there will be more. I can of course find restaurants on my own, but I value suggestions.
Old Feb 5th, 2006, 01:11 PM

I thought of another one in Brugge...it's called Lotus, Wapenmakersstraat 5. Excellent.

You might also want to check out resto.be (click on the flag for English). You can do a search by cuisine, and vegetarian is an option.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 07:48 AM

De Bolhoed on Prinsengracht is a well-established vegetarian restaurant with a relaxed atmosphere. I've had some of the best soups of my experience there (including a lentil soup to rival my mom's). Lots of salad and entree combos. I hope the ancient black and white kitty who greeted most diners is still around. Isn't it ironic - the only carnivore in the place and he was the spryest, handsomest critter around!

For a more formal meal, try the Vlif Vliegen on Spui (I think). This is a dining establishment in the "old Dutch" mode - heavy dark furniture, candlelight on silver sconces, attentive waiters. To my surprise, they had a vegetarian menu that you could have as a three, four or five course meal. Throwing caution to the wind, I had the five-course option and was very pleased. There were organic local ingredients galore and it was very imaginative. Minus wine, it was about 36 Euro per person in 2004.

You won't starve, Tamara! Have a good time.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 07:59 AM

Sorry TamaraEden, forgot to mention that both my suggestions are in Amsterdam. I just assume everyone is a mind reader!
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 08:27 AM

I am a vceggie and have been to Brussels and Antwerp for work. In brussels there were lots of options and I never starved. We went to a Morrocan Vegetarian restaurant one night and it was great and very reasonable...don't know the name/location as i was taken as a guest but maybe this jogs anyones memory? Antwerp I loves all the cafes and we had hiuge lunches and a lovely tomato and mozzarella salad in a bar as well. Don't worry you should just check out places as you walk by and see what appeals. Do you eat fish?
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Guy, checked the Happy Cow. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tulips, truffle is so out of my budget

Beanweb, Den Dyver is a bit high end isn't it?

Tulips again, the Wok place looks fabulous. We're going to try to go for Friday lunch (it's discounted then)

Siobahn, I do eat fish, as long as it's Kosher style. (i.e. no shellfish, shark, weird stuff )

And to everyone else, thank you so very much!!! I love suggestions.
Old Feb 7th, 2006, 11:13 PM

Tsampa, on the rue Livourne, is one of the more popular vegetarian restaurants in Brussels. It's at the back of a small health food store.
There are also a few good vegetarian restaurants (like L'Element Terre) along the Chaussee de Waterloo in the Ixelles commune (take the 92 tram to the Ma Campagne stop and walk "up" the chaussee).
Les Larmes de Tigre (Thai) has vegetarian choices. Near the Palais de Justice.
If you will eat fish, then you should be able to find something at the majority of restaurants.
FWIW, in Brussels anyway, the default vegetable soup generally turns out to be a thin green soup that isn't very appealing. Probably the worst dish in Brussels.
Bhavani, an Indian restaurant in Brugge, has several vegetarian choices. It's a pretty place, but not the best Indian I've ever had.
In Belgium, be careful if you order salade with warm goat cheese. It's very good, but suggest you ask if it also comes with lardons (chunky bacon bits) because it often does. Most restaurants will hold the lardons if asked when you order.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 02:02 AM

Tamara; the larger Wok restaurant (Wok en het Tafeldier) is in a nice area, with lots of hip shops, galleries and restaurants (Vlaamse Kaai, Leopold De Wael Plaats and the streets in between). The large fine arts museum is on the Leopold de Wael Plaats.
By the way (from your reference to Kosher food) there is a well known restaurant in Antwerp called 'Hoffy's take-away'. It is in the Jewish quarter, Lange Kievitstraat. You will certainly find good vegetarian food there.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 03:52 AM

Although not a particular restaurant, all through Holland you will see many, many restaurants featuring pannekooken. These are huge pancake/crepe things that are fabulous (arguably better than French crepes). They can be had with a huge variety of fillings, including fruit or vegetarian choices. My favorite non-vegetarian choice is bacon. Then you pour a thick syrup over them. People in Holland typically eat them at lunch or dinner as opposed to breakfast.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 04:35 AM

Yes -- Den Dyver is definitely on the more expensive side. Lotus is much cheaper. Cheaper still would be one of the pitaliers in Brugge -- feta pitas or falafel pitas are excellent.

And another vote for Bhavani if you like Indian food. They have a nice vegetarian tasting menu for lunch or dinner.
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Robjame: Any bread based stuffed pastry type thing sounds perfect to me
Old Feb 11th, 2006, 01:05 PM

Another excellent veggie restaurant in Antwerp is Ilha Formosa on Grote Pieter Potstraat (2 steps from the Market Square).
http://www.vegetarisme.be/php/resto/index.html?ID=2
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

The Formosa looks great!
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 06:57 PM
Original Poster

TTT (to remind myself to print this before my trip next week)