Favorite time of year in Italy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2005, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am wondering what people's favorite time of year in Italy is.

My husband and I wanted to go to Italy this summer, but we couldn't get tickets with FF miles so we are going to Germany instead - didn't want to hang on to those FF miles too long with the current state of the airline industry and risk being stuck with a bunch of worthless miles.

Currently we are restricted to travelling in late May through mid August due to my school schedule - and it seems everybody else wants to travel at that time too so FF seats are scarce and ticket prices are high.

In a couple years I will be finished with school and we will be able to travel at any time of the year. I think we will save Italy until then when we can choose a season other than summer to go - and have a better chance of using miles then or just cheaper airline ticket prices than in summer.

Right now I am just thinking ahead, getting together a loose plan and wondering what the best time of the year is to visit Italy.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 08:21 AM
ira

Hi J,

Mid May to Mid June or mid Sept to mid Oct.

Old Oct 7th, 2005, 08:22 AM

Hi J,
A lot depends upon where within Italy you want to travel, and what you want to see. Easter is usually pretty crowded, with folks traveling on their (or their children's school holidays.) November is one of the rainier months throughout much of Italy, so crowds are thinner. Depending on where you live here, you might enjoy winter months for a visit. January, February and even March are much warner in Florence and Rome than in my American hometown, and there seem to be fewer people in line to see certain attractions. However, the trade-off to that kind of "off season" travel is that not everything is open--many restaurants and hotels on the Amalfi Coast, for example, are only open April through October. I find the weather in May and again September and early October very pleasant in many of the Italian towns I've visited.

Buon Viaggio,
BC
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 08:30 AM

IMO there's hardly a time of year when FF free seats aren't difficult to get, most especially if the lead time is less than 11 months. Most airlines allow bookings of FF free seats only about a year in advance; a month after that, most of the seats will be gone. I've noticed that the free seats to some European distinations hang around a little longer in, say, February and March, but that's about it. Those seats are few to begin with, and they get snapped up.

Personally, there are a lot of destinations in Europe, including Italy, that I will always try to avoid traveling to from mid-June through late September. In fact, I am hearing both from fellow travelers as well as those in tourism jobs, that September has become one of the most busy (and crowded) months of the year in popular tourist destinations in Europe.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 10:43 AM

anytime from September - November. Rome is also great in December.
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 10:52 AM

May
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 11:10 AM

>>Most airlines allow bookings of FF free seats only about a year in advance; <<

I think most FF seats for June or Sept travel don't ever exist. Yesterday I tried to book a seat to Paris. It was the very first day I could book for Sept 2 travel. I called at 6AM in the morning Atlanta time (where Delta is located). No seats available on Delta or any other airline they partner with. Several months ago, I tried to book seats to Rome on Delta. I called 5 mins after midnight on the very first day you could book for June 9th travel - and there were no seats available. They only allow booking up to 331 days in advance. I called Delta every day for 3 weeks, and still nothing available. I was put on a waiting list - but nothing ever opened up. I recently found out from a Delta reservationist that "only in a blue moon" do people on FF waiting lists get seats.

The same scenario occured last year also. These arilines are loosing money like crazy - I suspect that they don't open up any seats in the peak or shoulder season till the last minute when they determine if the plane is full with paying customers.

It seems like not a good use of FF miles to book a FF trip in March when you can fly for 1/3 to 1/2 the price anyway.

Regarding Italy. We were in Southern Tuscany in late April last year - it was stunning. The winter wheat was bright green and covered the rolling hills in the Val d'Orcia like a velvet blanket. There were medieval villages popping up in places, and umbrella pines on the crest of hills and cypress trees dancing up hills in a double row (near La Foce). We spend 2 days in Florence - without crowds - a first time for us without crowds. It was a little cold, and we had a small snowfall once during the day. All our other trips have been in Sept and October.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like April or May is the time to go, making sure to avoid the Easter holidays. We are mostly interested in wandering around and sightseeing, so if we have unsettled weather, we don't mind. My husband is into photography, so if the weather isn't perfect, he might be happier anyway.

Stu - I was wondering if FF seats actually exist during peak times too. I tried to make reservations 330 days ahead of the trip and was flexible in my schedule, but still couldn't get anything. I have had good luck using FF miles for flights in the US, but this was my first atempt at using them for an overseas flight.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 02:49 PM

Hard to imagine a "bad" time in Italy. But that is not what you asked. To some extent, the timing depends on where you are going to be. I say that because in the south of Italy it is very nice even during the winter months.

We have been in Rome during the December January time frame several times and enjoyed it very much. It is cold in the morning and 50s during the day although we have seen 70s also. Florence is always going to be colder, but ok. The good thing is - "no crowds."

Ideally, the spring probably would be best if not everyone else in the world would be there also. Italy has been and still is the most desirable vacation place in Europe, consequently lots of people will be there from March to October.

Having said all that, we will be in Florence from December 27th thru January 7th.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 03:04 PM

try to avoid August in Italy as too crowded, very expensive and too hot !!
Spring to June (excluding Easter) and mid-september are much better but all depends on your priorities.
Towns like Rome or Florence are always nice also in winter but if you prefer white sandy beaches like in the caribbean or Maledives then you should go to Sardinia in June or September !
Sardinia is the spot n. 1 in Italy for beaches and clear water !!
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 03:10 PM

We went to Venice,Florence and Rome in March and thought it was great. No rain and the temps between 60-70. As far as the restaurants go, alway eat where the locals eat so these would be open anyway.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 03:26 PM
RJD

Early fall is Porcini season and the time for the Italian white truffle. These considerations overwhelm other lesser notions.
Old Oct 14th, 2005, 05:08 PM
Pausanias

I love early October. You can still swim in Positano and Capri. In Rome wild mushrooms are piled by the restaurant door and game is on the menu. It's warm in the day and cool in the evening. And there's something about the failing year and the autumnal tones of the stucco . . .

Old Oct 15th, 2005, 06:33 PM
Dur

I'm travelling to Rome for Thanksgiving, so I'll let you know if the "rainy month" is a problem when I get back. While sun is great, I find that cool weather is more comfortable for city site-seeing.