Weather Italy - Spring or Fall??

Jan 24th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Original Poster

Weather Italy - Spring or Fall??

I am going to have SO many questions since this is our first trip to Italy (well my husband went 25 years ago but that doesn't count!) I am trying to get my reward miles and if April/May timeframe is sold out, what would you recommend? Sept/Oct? It would be for 2 weeks. Does it flood in Venice? I think our itenerary is Rome to Siena to Florence to Venice. I will take all info! Hotels (upscale), restaurant, tips...we want relaxed (Tuscany/wineries) but seeing the major reasons for going to Italy. Thank You all!
Jan 24th, 2006, 11:34 AM

I'm just going to respond to the weather question: May and September are both excellent months, but be aware that they are both considered high season.
Jan 24th, 2006, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Do you mean high season for price or crowds? Or both??
Jan 24th, 2006, 11:49 AM

I was in Italy in May 2004. The weather was great, and I didn't feel like it was too crowded even though high tourist season was starting.

Side note: I don't know if you'd have room for this in your itinerary, but I HIGHLY recommend visiting Assisi, home of St. Francis. It was absolutely one of my favorite places. Very relaxed with a small town feel. Assisi is what I would consider classic Italy (like form the movies and such).
Jan 24th, 2006, 11:53 AM

Price, mainly; crowds to a lesser extent.

And I was absolutely flabbergasted at the crowds in Rome in October 2005; there had been many fewer people in May 2005.

Incidentally, no acqua alta in Venice in September, as a rule.
Jan 24th, 2006, 11:53 AM

been in Sept and Oct and the weather is in incredible. I would vote for fall. There will always be crowds, int eh majot cities and around the popular sites, so just be prepared and don't worry about it. At least your not trying to go in the middle of the summer. That's when you'll really notice the crowds.
Jan 24th, 2006, 12:01 PM
rex

I'll dissent a bit: May can be distinctly cheaper for trans-atlantic airfares. And the days are substantially longer in late May than in early September (yet not necessarily so hot/air conditioning dependent).
Jan 25th, 2006, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses. I guess it is going to depend upon my reward miles, I can get first class roundtrip but probably not until Sept...so from the posts I will try for May and if not, try for Mid to Late Sept?
And thank you for the info on Assisi, I am going to look into it. I will post on Hotel questions...so far I am considering Hotel Villa Casalecchi in Castellina in Chianti for the Tuscany portion. Comments? All my travel expetise is in the South Pacific, Mexico and Caribbean so this is a challenge!
Jan 25th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

I got it! First class, LAX to Rome Sept 5th & Venice to LAX Sept 19th! More questions to come...I am so excited!
Jan 25th, 2006, 01:39 PM

Good for you Peggy! It's reassuring to hear of people actually being able to cash in FF miles for first class tickets. We're doing that for our second year in a row, but both times it took some doing since we didn't try to book 330 days out. It's amazing you were able to get yours now for September.

Have fun!!

KC
Jan 25th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

KC, I've been calling every day, I really didn't think it was going to happen. They say tickets can be realeased on a daily basis so yes it is a pain...but wow it happened, we saved up miles for an expensive flight and got it. Now to start fretting about where to stay & the weather..just kidding...it will be so fun to plan.
Jan 25th, 2006, 01:59 PM

Congratulations Peggy!! It is always wonderful to hear someone got to use their FF miles. You should have beautiful weather for your trip. Have fun planning and dreaming about your trip to Italy these coming months.
Jan 25th, 2006, 02:08 PM

I did not have any trouble getting my AAadvantage Business class tickets for August 27th, landing in Rome and departing Sept. 26 from Paris..I just checked the internet and when I saw that there were places available in Business Class, I called customer service just because I wanted a Open jaw tickets, otherwise I could have got them right away from the internet.
September is a great month to visit Italy.
Jan 25th, 2006, 02:42 PM
ira

Good for you, Peggy.

Sept is a lovely time for Italy, the olives and grapes are harvested then, and the Porcini are in season.

You might want to take the bus from Rome to Siena:
http://www.senabus.it/