Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Italy in Sept or Oct - Which would you choose?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2004, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All - Trying to determine if I should go to Rome, Florence & Venice in Sept or Oct. Prices don't really seem to differ between these months, so it really boils down to which month is more pleasant to go. Any preferences? The specific dates would be Sept 9 -19 OR Oct 14-24. Thanks for the advice!!
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 01:22 PM

You are more likely to get good weather in early September than late October.

Early September is still high(est) season; the cities are probably a little less crowded in late October.

I'm not sure I have this absolutely right, but "You pays your money and you takes your chances."
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 01:35 PM
rex

<<Prices don't really seem to differ between these months>>

Well, traditionally, this is not ordinarily true for trans-atlantic airfares to Italy, at least.

It makes me wonder if you have found an uncommonly good airfare in September - - or an October airfare that is NOT all that good (i.e., not representative of what you may be able to find later in the summer for October travel).

Hotel rates might not vary that much, and as a rule meals/ attractions and intra-Europe transportation costs do not vary with the season.

All in all, September is usually a superior time to travel, and costs and crowds typically reflect it.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 02:55 PM
dln

We were in Italy last September in the same timeframe you're looking at this year, and the weather was perfect. It was warm enough to go about in short sleeves but there wasn't any of that oppresive heat you get in earlier months. Just right temperature-wise. We were there for two weeks and had only two half days of rain, too.

Old Aug 1st, 2004, 03:19 PM

Like the above poster, I was in Italy in September last year, weather was perefect. High of 80 & sunny.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 03:23 PM
ira

Hi ima,

Mid-Sept to mid-Oct is the best time of year.

Porcini mushrooms are in season.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 03:25 PM

Why not be very daring here, and split between the two months - then you can comment on which is best.
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

I wish I could spend both months in Italy, but unfortunately between work and other committments, I can only choose between a 9 day slot in Sept or a 9 day slot in Oct. Based on the feedback above, I am leaning toward Sept! My airfair deal in Sept is 795/pp round trip from NY to Rome and then flying back from Venice with a quick stopover in Rome. This was the cheapest deal I could find that is still a pretty direct route. Thanks for the advice. More feedback is welcome!
Old Aug 1st, 2004, 04:11 PM

I vote for October. I was in Italy for the whole month of October a couple of years ago, and the weather was still hot. I took transition clothes and wished for summer clothes. Though that may not be the norm, I'd guess that September would be even warmer and there would be more tourists around and about than in October. Ira's right on about the porcini--they're wonderful.