Reload this Page >

Favorite places to soak up Oia sunset

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 04:55 PM
marian

Every guidebook and posting seems to rave about the Oia sunset. So where are your favorite places to soak in this "magical sunset" - a favorite restaurant, bar, on your terrace, off the side of the road? For those in favor of Fira or Imeroviglia sunsets, your favorite places are welcome too.

Old Sep 20th, 2002, 05:46 PM
Patrick

This may be against the opinion of most, but I did not enjoy the "sunset experience" from Oia. First the drive --bad enough during the day, but worse trying to come back after dark -- although there is an alternative of taking a bus. Oia was jam packed for sunset. Every bar or terrace we saw was filled to overflowing. No one was looking at the sunset -- they were too busy getting drunk and loud and spoiling any idea of tranquility that normally goes with a sunset. <BR><BR>Trust me the same sun is seen setting from Oia that sets from any other place in Santorini. It sets over the open sea from Oia, but from Fira it sets (depending on the month, I suppose) usually between the islands of the caldera and the open sea. This means that these rings of island turn black and form a dramatic setting for the colors of the sky and the sun sinking into the sea, making a more dramatic picture than simple sky and sea. My favorite place was from our private little balcony at the Loucas Hotel in Fira. Some say it is too noisy there. On the side of that cliff we were immune to any noise from the rest of Fira, but in Oia we couldn't escape it. Although I suppose if you were in a private hotel or apartment in Oia, the peace would not be an issue as it is if you are just there for the sunset.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 04:21 AM
Kay

We saw some gorgeous sunsets from Thira, from just about any restaurant with a caldera view. It really is breathtaking.<BR>We caught the bus to Oia (cheap and easy) and waited with the crowds for the sunset. There is an old ruined building (castle/fort?) which is in an ideal spot and was lined with tourists and cameras. Unfortunately we didn't see a thing because of cloud but it was a fun experience. <BR>Kay

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 04:29 AM
Tricia

We had a beautiful view of the sunset from our balcony at Esperas and it was very quiet. Another suggestion would be Antoniou winery it's outside of Fira close to the intersection with the road to Kamari. It's a small winery with a nice selction of red and whites and she'll make a tasting tray with mezedes and have it ready for suset if you call ahead.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 04:58 PM
sue

HI,<BR>I LOVE Santorini, but it does not matter if you are in Fira or Oia. Just find a place to have a drink on the caldera and enjoy. I know this is outrageous, but I grew up on Lake Ontario in western NY and the sunset over that lake were the best I have ever seen, even Santorini. Maybe it was the pollution in the air but every night the reds, blues, oranges, light purple ect. fabulous

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 05:43 PM
soph

Too much hype about the sunset! i tried to see Oia's famous sunset & both nights was disappointed cuz there were too many clouds. Oia is very very packed during the sunset & noisy. you can pretty much see it from anywhere. The worst part is trying to get back- its like being caught in NYC gridlock.

Old Sep 28th, 2002, 07:39 PM
Byron

Everyone has different experiences. Just returned form four nights in Santorini. 3 nights were a bit too cloudy but one number was absolutely fantastic. We stayed at the Atlantis Villas and watched the sunset from our balcony. Perfect view. Actually, the tourists are down right now and we did not find it crowded or rowdy as others may have experienced. Oia is a quiet place at least right now.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 04:50 PM
Carol

Marian,<BR><BR>I have to agree with Patrick... I think, as an "event," it is terribly overrated myself. A beautiful sunset is indeed something to enjoy, but I'm not sure what the big deal was. I stayed at a hotel in Oia with a sunset view, so I didn't even have to contend with the crowds or making arrangements to get there (I just stepped out onto my terrace). In the summer months, it's pretty much like being in a herd of cattle after the sun sets, as everyone makes their way to the restaurants.