Search

Car Rental - Insurance Question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2006, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Rental - Insurance Question

Hi all,

I've scrolled through several threads and called MBNA Platinum and we've decided to use the free credit card insurance instead of the CDW for property damage on the rental car (or damage to anyone else' car or property). Greece is an allowable country by the way, in case anyone was curious.

However, the credit card insurance does <u>not</u> include coverage for injuries to ourselves or others. I've called my health insurance company and verified that <b>we</b> are covered for any emergency care needed overseas, but what if injuries to another person are involved? Can anyone shed any light on how this type of liability insurance works, where you obtain it, etc?

Thanks!

Old Jan 6th, 2006, 09:24 AM

All the car rental companies we've used have third party liability included in the rental, even the most basic rental.(Third party refers to those outside your own vehicle.) Furthermore, this is liability to the third party personally, not liability to any car they're driving of course (that's when you get into CDW, etc. etc.)

I can't swear to it, but I think most car rental agencies are required by law to carry this kind of insurance.

This is assuming I've understood you correctly, i.e. you are not talking about any other people inside YOUR car that could be with you at the time of accident. You should check your own personal car insurance/health insurance to see what is covered in this case.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 09:46 AM

You should check your own auto insurance policy to see where you are covered for TPL (which is not for property damage and the CDW thing that credit cards cover). I think it often included in the car rental, but that varies by local law, I'm sure. Even then, it is probably some minimum just like on your auto policy you probably have a state minimum TPL required, but you may choose to buy more coverage.

The auto rental companies usually will sell you extra TPL insurance (or it may be called SLI for supplemental liability insurance).
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the clarification. My husband and I will be the only people inside our car and we are covered by our employer-provided health insurance. I was just curious about coverage for anyone else (unrelated third party persons) injured as a result of an accident in which we were at fault. Of course I hope this issue would never arise, but I wanted to be sure we had no holes in insurance coverage.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 09:51 AM
ira

Hi TA,

Third Party Liability insurance for rental companies is required by law.

Don't worry about it.

Note that your MBNA insurance doesn't cover damage to tires, glass the car underbody anda few other items. Ask MBNA for a copy of the policy.

Old Jan 6th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

Hi ira,

Thank you so much, you always seem to come to my rescue

I requested a copy of the agreement and they are mailing it to me. Thanks for the tip to look at the coverage on tires, etc. So long as prices are not drestically different in Greece, those types of things are items we could cover out of pocket should it be necessary (knock on wood).
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 12:15 PM

Just curious..is your MBNA iinsurance primary or secondary to any auto insurance you already have?
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 12:30 PM
ira

Hi Intrepid,

The MBNA plan is primary insurance. Your US insurer does not cover you for Europe.

Hi TA,

&gt;Thanks for the tip to look at the coverage on tires, etc. So long as prices are not drestically different in Greece, those types of things are items we could cover out of pocket should it be necessary (knock on wood).&lt;

It cost me 140E to replace a tire that failed on a flat, paved highway while going 50 kph.

Old Jan 6th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

The MBNA rep said that MBNA coverage is secondary to all other insurance. That is why you have to decline the CDW insurance.
Based on past conversations with my auto insurance company (Liberty Mutual, Safeco before that), my understanding was that they do not cover you driving in foreign countries in rental cars.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi ira,

&quot;It cost me 140E to replace a tire that failed on a flat, paved highway while going 50 kph&quot;

EEK
Definitely thanks for the heads up. Do you normally purchase a type of insurance that covers those types of things?
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 01:22 PM

We routinely buy travel insurance that includes coverage for rented cars. However, not all insurers are including that coverage now--I hope it's not a trend, as the coverage has always been very good.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 01:28 PM

As I recall you can buy supplemental insurance that will at least minimize any deductable for the tires, windshield, etc., and assume you can also do this while using your other insurance for the rest. However, it might help to check with the agency you are renting the car from if that is possible.