Father and Sons

Old Jul 14th, 2021, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Father and Sons

Hi everyone.

My husband and our two sons, ages 24 and 22, are going to Italy for 12 nights in mid-August before they both begin their Masters degrees and they are having trouble deciding which itinerary to follow. Our kids love it all, including big cities, small towns, museums, great food and relaxing at the pool or beach. Four nights in Rome is a must for them but it is the next eight nights which they have to decide on.

Which would you choose:

1. Fly into Rome, stay 4 nights, then train to Florence for 3 nights and then 5 nights in the Tuscan countryside (with car), visiting Sienna and Montepulciano, among others, fly home from Florence
2. Fly into Rome, stay 4 nights, then train to Naples for 3 nights and then 5 nights in a countryside resort near Naples (with car), visiting Pompeii, Ischia and the Amalfi Coast, fly home from Naples
3. Fly into Rome, stay 4 nights, then rent a car and drive to Puglia, stay 8 nights, visiting Ostuni, Otranto and Lecce, fly home from Bari

As well, are there any beautiful beaches in Tuscany where they could spend a day?

Thank for your help.
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 04:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd do the Puglia or the Tuscany trip.

Nice beaches near Livorno all the way up to Massa

Siena (Sienna is an actress)
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 06:47 AM

If this helps, having done all three, I'd go for the first one as the easiest to do and the most like northern European and North American culture. I'd do the Puglian one, because I like Puglia (I was married there) and I think it is fabulous but the culture is more Greekish. It depends on the lads, how open they are to the concepts like "the food comes when it comes" "relax" "chill man". I love both cultures but some people get hacked off.

So number 1 or 3.
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 07:28 AM

I would do the Napels option, do Pompeii and Herculaneum as a day trip from Naples. From what I read, public transportation might be best for the Amalfi coast.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjvhZKSv
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 07:58 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
How well does everyone tolerate heat? I don't think I could handle the temps in southern Italy in mid-August.
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 07:45 PM

If this is their first trip to Italy, I would do #1 as it includes a lot of places they’re probably familiar with. If they’ve already been to Florence, then I’d go with #3. My husband and I were in Puglia two years ago and had a great time. I would suggest a stop and overnight in Matera on the way to Bari, it’s a really cool place!
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 08:21 PM

I love Naples and the Amalfi Coast, did not see much difference between the heat in Rome and the AC. At least on the AC, you can be on the water or on cliffs and get a breeze. Florence is also a hot spot in Summer, so a toss up weather wise. So, between North and South of Rome, if they have not been there, I would recommend #2 and see Pompeii, Herculaneum, Positano, etc, possibly rent a boat or go sailing. Rather than a car rental, take ferries up and down the coast.

OTOH, Puglia looks intriguing, will likely be a lot less crowded and has been on my dream sheet for years, so might choose that.

Last edited by Sassafrass; Jul 14th, 2021 at 08:29 PM. Reason: Correct spelling
Old Jul 14th, 2021, 08:52 PM

I would think more about what they want to do/see before where they want to visit. For example, I know my kids (similar age) would be more interested in hiking, swimming, cycling than art and museums. And probably countryside over cities. But yours may be entirely different. All of the options you've nominated would be wonderful, with no wrong choices, only preferences.

A car is not required for almost all of these itineraries unless they dislike public transport.
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by OverTheRainbow View Post
Hi everyone.
My husband and our two sons, ages 24 and 22, are going to Italy for 12 nights in mid-August before they both begin their Masters degrees and they are having trouble deciding which itinerary to follow. Our kids love it all, including big cities, small towns, museums, great food and relaxing at the pool or beach. Four nights in Rome is a must for them but it is the next eight nights which they have to decide on.
Which would you choose:
1. Fly into Rome, stay 4 nights, then train to Florence for 3 nights and then 5 nights in the Tuscan countryside (with car), visiting Sienna and Montepulciano, among others, fly home from Florence
2. Fly into Rome, stay 4 nights, then train to Naples for 3 nights and then 5 nights in a countryside resort near Naples (with car), visiting Pompeii, Ischia and the Amalfi Coast, fly home from Naples
3. Fly into Rome, stay 4 nights, then rent a car and drive to Puglia, stay 8 nights, visiting Ostuni, Otranto and Lecce, fly home from Bari
As well, are there any beautiful beaches in Tuscany where they could spend a day?
Thank for your help.
You didn't say if they've been to Italy before. If it's their 1st time, I'd stick with the "classic" trip that includes Rome & Florence.
I'd suggest including a day of hiking Cinque Terre to get some physical activity in.
Florence doesn't have a lot of flight options. Could even end the trip with a brief visit to Venice & fly home from there?

My 22 year old self would love the underground tour of the Coliseum, climbing the dome (I prefer Florence to the Vatican for this), hiking the length of the CT trails, seeing all the famous sites I've heard of, plus FOOD and WINE!

Last edited by 2idocs; Jul 15th, 2021 at 11:21 AM.
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 02:43 AM

I would do # 1. I recommend against # 3: Puglia is absolutely beautiful but in August it is packed with people.
Enjoy!
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 04:52 AM

Ah but the OP said mid August so I assumed after the 15th when density starts to calm down
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 05:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In August I wouldn't do any of them. I'd head for the Dolomites and the Lakes. But I live in an area that is miserably hot and humid in the summer and I don't want more of it when traveling.