Reload this Page >

Famous Flam Railway in Norway

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Marla

I've read that this is ranked as one of the 10 most exciting railway journeys in the world. But to be honest, I don't handle mountain roads very well, so the description of a steep stretch trough a spiral tunnel jumbles my nerves without even being there. Has anyone here been on this train ride and can give their own personal opinion. I'd hate to miss what sounds like a most scenic experience, but I don't want to be scared for hours. Any first hand advice?<BR>Thanks!

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 02:56 PM
slider

<BR>Marla,<BR><BR>You just stay home and bake some cookies, girl. Leave the love of travel to those who appreciate it and can handle it.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 03:26 PM
Marla

Traveling to new and exciting places isn't the issue for me. I've even hiked along a remote part of the Great Wall in China. But I do have a problem with curvy mountain driving, so I am a little concerned about a railway that mentions a steep climb and spiral curves. I'd love to be fearless, but many people have some fear. I didn't say that I was going to skip it, but if it's going to be a long, treacherous ride than I'm probably wasting my time and money (if my eyes are going to be closed for hours). I'd just appreciate hearing from someone who's all ready had the experience. Thanks again.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 03:59 PM
Debbie

Marla-Did you know that due to the steepness of the mountain in travels, the Flam railway has 5 separate breaking systems in place! That, in and of itself, makes it unique!<BR><BR>It's a wonderful experience thru some of the most scenic countryside you'll ever see. Sure, they are over 20 tunnels you'll go thru, but you'll see the most majestic waterfalls and stunning countryside as the offshoot. It's less than an hour trip, and if you can stomach it, you're in for a wonderful experience.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 04:45 PM
Linda

Please.......it was NOTHING!! I am a big chicken about lots of things. I would rather fly than take a train, but this was a piece of cake. The only thing to be afraid of is this woman who comes out of the mist. You'll find out!!

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 11:48 PM
kirikou

See for yourself:<BR>http://www.fretheim-hotel.no/img/fotohotell/flamsbana.jpg<BR>http://sognefjord.hotell.vestdata.no/tog.jpg<BR><BR>Of course the tracks don't go like this all the way, but - I'm not certain I'd go there with a fear of heights. The tunnels shouldn't be a problem though, you won't see much...

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 03:15 AM
Judy

I also just returned from this wonderful trip. The railroad was completely redone not long ago, and yes, there is a lot of braking and tunnels but the scenery is worth it. I thought the train ride in Alaska that took you down to Skagway was a thriller and I am quite uneasy with heights. Don't miss this! Judy

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 05:15 AM
Mitch

Marla,<BR><BR>Please do yourself a favor and go on this train ride! It is without a doubt one of the most beautiful places in the world. The twists and turns are not bad. The memories you will have will last a lifetime!

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 05:37 AM
Paige

Marla, which part of the wall did you climb? We're going to Beijing this week and haven't decided where we'll go.<BR><BR>We took the Flam railway and honestly, it's fine. There's nothing even remotely scary about it.