Search

Family trip to Cornwall - Suggestions for scenic drive

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17th, 2022, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Family trip to Cornwall - Suggestions for scenic drive

Hello everyone,
I live in Hemel Hempstead (UK) and I am planning a trip to visit the Eden project in Cornwall with my family. My mother is wheelchair bound so we are specifically looking at wheelchair accessible places or drive-thru attractions. Plan for the first day is to check out Eden project (which takes about 4 hours) and spend sometime at the hang loose adventure place (just for us kids . I am looking for suggestions to do for the next day/two. Just to tell bit about us, we prefer natural sight seeing to museums or zoos. Therefore, a scenic drive is ideal because my mother easily gets exhausted.

I would like to know whether
  1. There are any interesting places we might be passing en route to Cornwall from Hemel Hempstead? Because we will be travelling the day before and staying overnight.
  2. Is there a particular scenic route when driving to Cornwall?
  3. Also any recommendations for places near Eden is most welcomed. Especially beaches.
Thank you in advance.
Old Jun 17th, 2022, 12:06 PM

Is LanhydrockHouse & Gardens of any interest? This is a National Trust property with beautiful gardens and appears to have motorized scooters/"trampers" but may require a little prep to use and a reservation.
Old Jun 17th, 2022, 03:32 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Need a bit of clarification.
  1. There are any interesting places we might be passing en route to Cornwall from Hemel Hempstead? Because we will be travelling the day before and staying overnight.
Staying over night where? -- are you doing the drive in one day and just looking for sites between HH and Bodelva . . . or are you looking for a place to break the journey and stop one night?

One site right on your route of course is Stonehenge but you've most likely been there. Shaftesbury is pretty but really difficult with mobility issues.

Sherborne Castle wouldn't be good, but the gardens are lovely and mostly accessible. Same with Forde Abbey -- building difficult but the gardens/grounds are accessible.
Old Jun 18th, 2022, 08:17 AM

That is one long day without a visit to any sort of attraction.
Look at the tourismforall website and choose the south west and you will find the sort of accessible attractions.
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the suggestion.