Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Family Summer Trip in July to London then Paris and then need suggestions!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2014, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. We are traveling from the US (east coast) in early July to London and Paris with our two kids (ages 10 and 7). We are looking for a third destination to stay 3-4 days at where we can do activities in the morning and then relax by a pool/lake/beach in the afternoon. We are looking to splurge a little on this part of the trip for nice accommodations. We were looking at Saint Tropez but that seems too glitzy. The Atlantic side of France seems iffy on the weather?

Any suggestions would be great! We haven't booked airline tickets yet so flexible where we are flying back to the US from.

Thank you!
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 03:32 PM

There are many places in the south of France that are more family oriented. I would do some research on possible resorts in the area - NOT St Tropez (wonder why you picked such a glitzy, hollywood style place for kids).

You could fly into London and fly back from Nice to avoid returning to your starting point. Look into multi-destination flights - they should not be any more expensive than RT.
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 04:37 PM
Original Poster

recommended by travel agent. after researching doesn't seem our thing but trying to find area that would have both nice hotel/beach and activities and family oriented.
Old Mar 12th, 2014, 05:07 PM

If you search here - destination and the europe board - you will find a bunch of info on family resorts. That travel agent is useless.

We have done Riviera several times - but only adults - no kids - so I can't tell you where to go - but I know there are a bunch of places set up for families - not Paris Hilton.
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

wow! hostility! i got your point. thanks.
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 05:18 AM

I really enjoyed Villafranche (Nice, Cannes, Monte Carlo) when we visited France. I noticed a lot of children and plus it's a popular and enjoyable stop for families from the Disney Cruiseline.

Monte Carlo was GORGEOUS and a nice little day trip if staying in Nice.

I am not a native from there, just an American tourist who remembers her trip there and loved it.
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 05:36 AM

If you don't have to be near a beach (and a pool will do for relaxing in the afternoon), I would heartily recommend the Dordogne or Provence (if that's not too much of a cliché).

There are plenty of things to do that you and your children can enjoy in the morning (Dordogne = castles, prehistoric caves, canoeing; Provence = Les Baux, markets, the arena at Arles) and I think you can find some pretty glorious accommodations with access to pools in both regions.
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 06:07 AM

St Tropez has great beaches, and lots of families stay there in the summer. But I would not stay there if you want to visit other towns as well, as it is hell getting in and out of St Tropez in summer.

Juan les Pins is nice; has a good sandy beach, and easy access to Antibes, Cannes (by train) and small villages inland (better by car). There are plenty of families with small kids in Juan les Pins and Golfe Juan in July. The Garden Beach is right on the beach in La Pinede, the nicest part of Juan les Pins. I also often walked past Hotel Sainte Valerie, in the same area in a small street. That looks lovely if you prefer a small hotel.

Or Antibes. We often pas the Hotel Royal Antibes and that looks great; fantastic location right on the beach, short walk to old town. A little further is the Josse, also on the beach, but that's a 3 star. Still great location and rooms with balconies.

I haven't stayed in these hotels, so can only comment on the location and how they look from the outside.
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 06:29 AM

rksk, there is sometimes hostility on the board, but that aint it.

Travel agents in general are useless, and one who suggest you take your kids to St Tropez is probably among those that number so.

There are myriad posts on Fodors Europe forum about family destinations. Without at all intending hostility, please do a search here.

If you are considering the West coast of France, there was a recent thread on the Il de Re which offers a lot to families and is easy to get to.

I believe I contributed briefly to that thread, so you can click on my name to possibly find it.
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 08:38 AM

What's so iffy about the weather on the Atlantic coast? That's an odd comment. If that's your travel agent talking, fire her/him.

I agree that the Riviera wouldn't be my first (or second or third or...) choice with kids. And FWIW, I find Monte Carlo practically abhorrent: stacks of expensive condos on the water.

There are all kinds of wonderful places on the Atlantic coast: La Rochelle, Ile de Ré, all the Brittany beaches, St-Jean-de-Luz, and just about everything in between...VERY family-oriented stuff.

And as pavot mentioned, there are a thousand an one things for kids to do in the Dordogne, including swim in the river and swim in lakes.
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 09:22 AM

rksk,

We tend to sometimes be blunt here but I didn't see any hostility in ny's advice to you.

I agree that the Dordogne area would offer lots of opportunities for your family unless you are looking for more of a beach experience.
Old Mar 13th, 2014, 09:43 AM

No hostility towards you - just towards a travel agent who should know better than that - when there are many family-oriented places.