Family holiday location ideas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2021, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m hoping to travel to Spain (mainland or islands) in October ‘21 for 7 days with my husband and son (7). I’ve been quite a number of times since I was a child to the usual touristy spots, but I am hoping to find a nice seaside/fishing village that is not overly touristy yet still has appeal for a 7 year old. I’m a little bit stuck. Menorca has popped up a few times in my searches, but doesn’t seem to have a huge amount for children to do, I could be wrong though. Ideally, I would like somewhere with nice restaurants and bars, nice beach, with maybe some local activities (mini golf, water park etc) that’s not too busy and doesn't require a car.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 1st, 2021, 11:22 PM

Menorca is THE island for families in Spain, no doubt! Just take into account that October may not be that warm and it´s already low season, as is the rest of Spain.
Old Jan 2nd, 2021, 09:53 PM

October if you want beach and nice weather you're really looking at one of the Canary islands. Anything else and you risk cold and rainy .

But small fishing villages aren't really geared towards mini golf etc. You need to accept a tourist destination if you want stuff like that.
Old Jan 4th, 2021, 11:37 AM

This is the best time to travel in Spain is spring and fall because that is when good weather occurs. The months of April, May, June, September, and October are very good for travel. Summer is quite hot, especially in inland cities.
Old Jan 6th, 2021, 03:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You'll struggle a bit without a car, as the buses are a bit sporadic. There are several water parks on the island, two of which are on the North West coast and two more on the North East side close to the old capital of Ciutadella. We've stayed in that area a couple of times and there is a good choice of bars, restaurants etc and places to stay. I'd also recommend Cala Galdana for the same reasons and it's not too far from the North East water park at Aquarock. It has a good beach too.

Also consider Binibeca or Cala n Porter (good beaches) South of Mahon, where there two waterparks, Splash and Cala Biniancolla.
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all your help, much appreciated. I'll go back to the drawing board and maybe have a look at somewhere in the Canaries.
Old Jan 7th, 2021, 02:27 PM

Sitges
Old Jan 9th, 2021, 01:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're going to look at the Canary Islands, then try Fuerteventura. There's a water park in Corralejo and quite a bit for the kids to do, nice beaches and a good selection of hotels and restaurants. The other islands such as Gran Canaria, Tenerife and Lanzarote will be very touristy, while the three smaller islands won't have enough to engage a 7 year old for very long.