Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Family European Cruises with 20 year olds

Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We would like to take cruise in May with my two children who are 24 and 21 and go on a cruise to France or another country., Can you give me any recommendations
Thank you
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 03:00 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
What do you mean by a cruise to France?

Cruises aren't generally to a place. There are river cruises w/i France or other European countries. There are Med cruises that hit several ports in several countries. They basically offer half (or sometimes whole) days in cities like Athens, Venice, Rome, Nice etc. There are cruises through the Greek Isles. And there are transatlantic voyages that are mainly transport across to Europe.

What did you have in mind? Also cruises can be fun, but two things to consider - they are often more expensive than land-based trips, and you get little time to actually see sites.
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 03:04 PM

We've only done one European river cruise....have not done another as it was filled with people much older than we were, and we are not young!
I think your children, who are very fortunate to have a parent willing to take them to Europe, might enjoy a land based European visit more.
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 05:53 PM

IMHO young adults will be bored stiff by a river cruise in europe- and med cruises or similar spend litle time actually seeing sights - most hanging around a ship eating etc.

I think kids - and adults not yet seniors - would much prefer a land-based trip with the oportunity to actually see things - versus just sit on a boat for many hours at a time.

If you mean a cruise from the US TO Europe these are very rare -and very expensive - typically just once a year when boats are repositioned from the Carib to the Med.
Old Jan 2nd, 2011, 06:02 PM

I would hate that you have to be back on board by 5pm or thereabouts each night, and I think your young people would too. Probably you as well, as judging by the ages of your 'children' you are probably about my age!!