family accomodations in Loire Valley

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2005, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going with my family to the Loire Valley in April for 4 nights. I've contacted some hotels/B&B's near Amboise, and for the 4 of us (2 adults, 2 kids), they quote us the price of two rooms. Does anyone have ideas for a hotel/B&B that has a "family room" so that I'm only paying for one room?
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

OK, here's my updated message. Is it possible for a family of 4 to sleep in the Loire Valley (near Amboise, Tours, or Chinon) for under 150 euros a night??
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 06:36 PM

I don't think you will find many family rooms in France in general. My family of 4 just had this problem in November. We opted for 2 rooms with one adult and one child in each. Worked out good for us because of having two bathrooms - quicker for getting ready each day. In Tours (in the Loire Valley) we paid 75€ per room which included breakfast. Double/double rooms are definitely an American thing.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 08:38 PM

I believe the offical French hotel rule is that they only allow 1 child in a double room with parents. So with 2 kids, you'll need 2 double rooms. Some hotels do have a few quad or family rooms. You'll have to specifically asked for those.

When we were in France last summer with our kids, we ran into the same problem. We ended up renting an apartment in Paris and family rooms in Arles and Nice.

However, a quad/family room may not be cheaper than 2 double rooms but the latter option gives you an extra bathroom/TV/closets. If you go for 2 rooms, make sure you asked for connecting rooms, if that's important for you.

Try www.venere.com. I've never used it myself but have seen recommendations on Fodor because it will search for quad.
Old Jan 28th, 2005, 11:38 PM

Here is a place that might have what you're looking for. I stayed here four years ago. Not grand, but very cozy. Located close to Blois. The kids might enjoy the swimming pool. Not sure about your price range, though. We had a room that had a queen bed in the bedroom and two single beds in the living room. The living room was very large, so was the bathroom. Four people with one bathroom could take a long time for everyone to get ready in the morning. Are you sure two bedrooms with two bathrooms is not the way to go?

www.clenord.com/chambre/us/index.html
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 07:37 AM

Do you have to stay in a hotel? I've seen houses listed for less than this. Try Gites De France or check on the France Tourism web site for a vacation rental.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 05:02 PM

I was looking through Frommer's "France's Best Bed & Breakfasts and Country Inns," and found a place that would accommodate a family of four. Check out their website:

www.moulinfrancueil.com/

It looks lovely, and is well within your price range.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 05:32 PM

Well, you could try the Anne de Bretagne in Blois. The proprietresse was so consumed with the attentions of her male friends we could have put 15 people in the room and she'd never have noticed!
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 05:34 PM

It's been a while but June of '01 I stayed at the Loire Hotel in Saumur.
Saumur is 30 kilometers west of Chinon.

www.loire-hotel.fr

The web site shows high season prices this summer of 107euro for the street view, 125euro for the river view.

I liked the hotel. It was more modern then the typical places I stay. It's on an island in the Loire River. The river walk has beautiful views of the castle. You walk along the river and cross the bridge into the old town in 10 minutes. My dad, niece, nephew & I never made it that fast. We were always stopping for the view.

Here's a link to a thread were Saumur was discussed.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34441509
Old Feb 3rd, 2005, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I've sent some inquiries out for the places that appear to be within my price range. Decided to stay only 3 nights though in the Loire Valley to add on a day in Paris. Has anyone actually stayed at the Moulin Francueil, the Chateau des Tertres, or the Chateau de Pintray?
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Hello everyone. Still looking for a hotel. Does anyone have a website for Hotel Bellevue in Amboise? I google it and get a ton of other hotels.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 10:15 AM

Near Azay, not far from Chinon, try this...

http://www.lagrangebleue.net/suite.htm
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 10:25 AM

You might take a look at this place:

http://www.hotels-france.com/giraudiere/eng/index.html

We stayed there for a week about five years ago and used it as a base for the Loire Valley. It is about 3-4 kms. outside of Chinon on a working winery. It's a little out in the country, but a pretty location and the drive into Chinon was easy. It also has a very good restaurant on site. From there, we went as far east as Chenonceau and as far west as Angers.

I don't know if they have family rooms specifically, but our room was a junior suite with two rooms and two double beds. The prices appear to be in your range.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 10:46 AM

http://www.le-chat-courant.com/

This is a lovely B & B place just across from the Chateau de Villandry. They have a family suite for 3-5 persons at 78 to 102 Euro. Check out the website--their home and their own "petit Villandry" gardens are beautiful. You can also have dinners there at reasonable prices. We are staying there ourselves in a couple of weeks but I'm sure it will be nicer in the spring! So I can't swear it's as great as I think it will be (yet) but so far the hosts are quick, pleasant communicators and seem very hospitable. I am really looking forward to staying there.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 11:18 AM

You might check out Le Roseraie in Chenanceau, as well, for your needs.
They have "family" rooms
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 11:37 AM

I stayed at a B and B in a small town, Cour Cheverny, 10km south of Blois. Cost for a family room for 4 per night was 70E. I booked through www.stopoverconnections.com.
They have an interactive map so that you can tell the location.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 12:33 PM
mde

Yesterday I booked a room at the Novotel Amboise for 2 adults and 2 children, for 99 Euro per night (this is in June). The room has one double bed and two single beds with castle view and breakfast for the kids is free. www.novotel.com
To the person looking for the website of Belle Vue, you can find info at logisdefrance.com (hotel has no website) however I think the hotel is closed until mid-march. I still have not received a reply to my inquiry.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 02:02 PM

Monique 123 and others - In Amboise, I booked, but have not yet stayed at, Hotel Le Blason, reserving a quad room for 76 Euros, plus 6,50 for breakfast. Their website is www.leblason.fr. Don't email them. They may not answer. They prefer fax, which is (33) 2 47 57 56 18

My husband, two teen daughters, and I are going to London, France, Austria, and Italy for the month of June(we'll be busy!). For others who are searching for family rooms, I'd like to report that, for the most part, I have been able to book four person family rooms,in small hotels and B&Bs, and have been able to stay close to an average of about 120 Euros per night (More in big cities, less in small towns). The prices do seem to be less for a quad than for two doubles, although I have intentionally built in some stays at doubles so that we don't drive each other nuts.

The quads I've booked are
London: Oxford Hotel (http://www.oxfordhotellondon.co.uk/index.htm)
Paris: Jardin de Paris Morny St Lazare (9th) and Hotel Terminus Lyon (12th) through venere.com
Venice: B&B Giardini, also through venere.com
Milan: Hotel Trentina through venere.com
Rome: Gioia B&B, through www.cross-pollinate.com (a site recommended by Rick Steves) Actually, this may be two doubles, but the price is good for Rome - about 120 Euros.
While we haven't gone on the trip yet, and some of my choices may turn out to be disappointing, I did only reserve at places that had basically positive reviews on the internet.

Old Feb 4th, 2005, 03:23 PM

Monique123 - I have stayed twice at the Chateau des tertes - in 1981 and 1984 (actually had the same room both times!)

It is one of my favorite places. My room looked out across the Loire to the castle at Chaumont. Onzain is a very nice little town.

My favorite restaurant is Chez Collette across the river in Chaumont. We ate there 5 straight nights (we were cycling the area). They even kept the restaurant open just for us after 7 PM on their 'quiet night'
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone actually stayed at LeBlason? It seems to be in a central location, but received a lukewarm review from Rick Steves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -