Family accomodation in Grindelwald?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a family of 5 (4 adults and one teen) staying in Grindelwald this summer for 2 nights. Our usual accomodation there (Hotel Residence apartment) won't work this time because it has a 3-night minimum. Nor will the Gletschergarten, the usual recommendation here, because they only have double rooms. Their apartment is also too small. We would like a family room, suite or apartment, not double rooms with an extra bed put in for the teen. Even a double room + triple room might be OK, but the triples are hard to find.

I'm going cross-eyed looking at all the options, and thought I'd ask for recommendations here. We will be arriving by train and would like to be within 500 or 600 meters of the train station, but not right on the main street. Above town, or near the base of the First lift, would be good. We prefer chalet-style 3-star places off the tourbus path.

I do have an offer from one place, a lovely 2-bdr. apartment in a nicely-located hotel (Cabana), but it seems pricy---500 CHF per night. Another I am considering is Hotel Lauberhorn, which we would have to reach by bus, at least upon arrival with our luggage, and then it's either bus or a 20-minute walk each time we want to go to the village.

So I'd like to explore other options before booking. Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 03:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi,
While not really an answer to your question of Grindelwald accomodations, we were very happy at the Hotel Eiger in Wengen. It's very close to the train station (around the corner as I remember).
www.eiger-wengen.ch/english
Sorry I couldn't help with Grindelwald.

Paul
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Hello Paul---thank you for your suggestion; it looks lovely--especially the balconies. That is exactly what we are looking for---but it needs to be in Grindelwald, so we can do a particular hike I have in mind. We will also be in Mürren later, and may stop by and visit Wengen on the way.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 04:09 PM

Hi enzian,

Did you contact the Gletschergarten and ask about family rooms? The reason I ask is because we stayed at their daughter Gabriela's apt. in September and I promised to send her the link to Fodor's so she could see how much folks praised their apt/hotel.

Of course I didn't get around to doing that until recently when someone was looking for apartments in Grindelwald. When I sent the link w/my response noting how wonderful the apartment is to Gabriela she told me that the hotel also has family rooms so perhaps it's worth contacting them. Hope this helps.

You might consider getting a room for two of the adults at the hotel and taking the apartment for the others. The balcony and kitchen could definitely accommodate all of you.

Best of luck.

Maureen
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

Maureen---thanks for the suggestion. I was just going onby what they have on the website, so it sounds like it is worth contacting them.

Do you know how far the apartment is from the hotel? We'd like to make it easy to play games, etc. in the evenings, so don't want to be too far apart.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 04:39 PM

Our family stayed at the Hotel Lauberhorn for two nights in July/August 2005 as part of a two-week hiking trip in the Swiss Alps. We loved it. It's not in the "main" part of the village, but we thought that was part of its charm. The views are beautiful. The bus stop is right outside the hotel, and although you have to take the bus to the main village, you also have the feeling of being more in the mountains.

The second day we were there was Swiss National Day. The hotel had a special cookout dinner for the guests, and it really felt like we were staying at a very friendly, family place. A group played volleyball outside.

We loved our two weeks in the Swiss Alps and passed through many of the villages in the Berner Oberland. Our two nights in Grindelwald were definitely a highlight.

See a photo here: http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...1&cat=3590

Kathy
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 05:30 AM

The apartment is across the street from the hotel so you'd have no problem going back and forth to visit with one and other. At the top end of town (after you pass the church), the main road splits into two with a small island in the middle. The hotel will be on the road on the left, there’s parking for the apartment and a small bakery/convenience store/café in the island and then the apartment is directly opposite the café on the road on the right.

The apartment’s living room is small but the very large patio and kitchen would be more than enough space for the five of you to hang out and the place is spotless, as you'd expect. I believe there's a BBQ on the patio (check with Gabriela) but what I remember most were the incredible views: indescribable, rather like my directions above!

Incidentally, I used a lot of information from your posts in planning my trip in September so I’m delighted to help one of our Swiss experts. (I don't write trip reports but I hope to post our photographs as a thank you to all of the Swiss Experts who are not only extremely knowledgeable but also unfailingly kind to posters.)
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Kathy---thank you for the photos and your repport on Hotel Lauberhorn. I read your trip report of the hike earlier, and now it's nice to see the photos. You confirmed my impression about Lauberhorn, that it is a very friendly and relaxed place. My one concern is that it is a bit farther from the village than we would like, especially for getting back after dinner. I have become legendary in my own family for leading the group on long, dark, after-dinner treks, and I'm trying to avoid a repeat!

Your Swiss National Day experience sounds very special. We have usually spent that holiday at Hotel Oeschinensee, but this year's trip will be much earlier in the summer so we'll miss it.

Maureen---I did e-mail Hotel Gletschergarten and got a very nice reponse. Unfortunately they offered Chalet Hohturnen to someone else---just yesterday! But they will let me know right away if the others don't take it. (But I'm thinking they will---who would pass that up?) And you're right, they do have triple rooms, as well as double rooms with a sofabed. The problem is the combination of double and triple room will add up to more than the 500 franc apartment we could get elsewhere. So if Hohturnen isn't available, the other apartment is a better option, I think.

And thank you for your kind words about the "Swiss experts". I certainly don't consider myself one of them, but maybe someday. . . I do agree they they are, as a g;roup, among the most helpful and generous people on this board.
Old Mar 15th, 2008, 02:50 PM

Oh, Enzian mvor and other experts...i hope you see my post requesting help with our accomm for Christmas this year. We will be travelling with our 3 boys and will ski for one week. I cant seem to get conscise info on lift locations and most convenient places to stay with regard to easy lift access. As with most kids, they hate dragging all their skis and gear for miles just to get to the lift. (so does DH as he ends up carrying mine and our youngest as well!!!) I am concerned about his back this time! So if you are feeling sorry for my packhorse, please send me some advice on family accomm in Grindelwald. thanks.