Fairy Glen - Scotland

Old Jun 8th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fairy Glen - Scotland

I have been looking quite a bit on line but have not been able to find out if there is a decent path to go thru the Fairy Glen. Has anyone walked this? Where do you start, how far is it and how long should I allot for including stops for pictures? What sorts of scenery do you see and is the path marked well enough so you know where you are going? thanks!
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 02:26 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
which Fairy Glen -- there is more than one . . . .

At least three that I know of.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 07:33 PM

I have been to the one on the Isle of Skye, near Uig. You can drive right through.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 08:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The most famous is probably the one on the Black Isle. Then the one on Skye. Plus a couple of others. If you do mean the one on Skye - yes there is a road plus you can walk through.
Old Jun 8th, 2009, 11:38 PM

And the Fairy Glen on the Black Isle is a Nature Reserve belonging to the RSPB, and open to the public with good paths through it
Old Jun 9th, 2009, 02:28 PM

Hi Mhohol,

I was at the one on Skye today, we spent probably an hour there walking the paths, and they were easy to see. The scenery was some green hills kind of jammed up together (kind of like beehive shape) with some rocky out croppings above, and you could climb to the top of the outcroppings. Plenty of sheep to share the hills with you. Watch where you step (see comment regarding sheep). There was a small pond with a bench near it to take in the glen too.

To get there, take the road sign posted to Balnaknock (pretty sure that is right, or darn close) it was the second left heading if you are driving south out of Uig. If you go to the end of the road you have to turn around in a farmers yard.
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

yes, I am referring to the one on Skye. That is good to know you can drive thru and/or walk. I was thinking you had to walk all the way thru. Are there waterfalls as well as lochs throughout it?
Old Jun 10th, 2009, 01:56 PM

Hi Mhohol,

Today was our last day on Skye It is a stunning island. BE SURE to drive the road out to Elgol, wow. It is single track, but most drivers are very courteous and it has been no problem for us. We picked up some roast chicken and salad from the Co-op in Broadford and had a picnic overlooking the boat jetty and just took in the views. It was lovely.

Re: fairy glen and water falls. We did not see any right there, although if you looked at the hills in the distance you could see some falls cuts in the rocks. It has been dry on Skye. My DH took a tasting tour at Talisker today and they said they are not producing whisky at this time as there is not enough water supply ( the stream is almost dry) for the cooling. Maybe there are falls in wetter periods? I did not see any lochs right there unless you count the baby one, but have no worries you will see plenty of lochs and bays and sounds and streams on Skye.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

I’ve heard the road to Elgol is nice from several people. Where do you start and end and how long does it take? Did you hike around at all? Which areas of Skye did you like the best? Currently, I have about 3 days there (not long enough) but I’m planning on hiking Old Man, seeing Kilt Rock, a bit of the Quirang, drive thru Fairy Glen, see the Cullins (although I heard walking in there is a bit difficult – I am in decent shape but don’t want to do anything that requires a compass!), Talisker bay for sunset, and now fit in the drive to Elgol. Any tips of what you enjoyed is definitely appreciated! I love photography so I’m looking for some great scenery – which is easy to do in Skye I have heard.
Old Jun 11th, 2009, 01:39 PM

Great photography is a cinch on Skye! Even the pictures on my digital Olympus Stylus are great. We had great weather while there but I could see that some mildly moody weather might make some interesting compositions too.

We saw all sorts of serious looking photographers every where we went on Skye. Tripods, big camera bags and even bigger lenses. I think photography will likely be a good way for you to meet some interesting like minded travelers as you can chat them up just about anywhere you go

The road to Elgol starts in Broadford (where we stayed at the terrific Tigh an Dohais B&B) and ends at the sea. It took 30, maybe 40, min or so. We were not watching the time much.

Hiking, us? Hmmmm, not likely. We are over 40 and over fed. We do like moderate walks though. We drove out to the Neist Point light house and walked up and down two kind of steep hills to get to it. We stopped at the top of the second hill and debated whether we would go all the way down. Then we saw this 70+ year old guy with his 70+ year old wife coming up from the lighthouse and we were shamed into going all the way. Very pretty views there with these volcanic basalt rocks ( I think - I may need to google this) that were very geometric. They were hard to describe - maybe something a little like the Giant's Causeway rocks in Ireland but square? Plus, there were big cliffs there too. Very cool.

The first day we drove around the northern lobes, and it was a very long lovely day. The thing about Skye this time of year is that it barely gets dark. Thank heavens for black out curtains. There is good light in the sky past midnight, and it gets fully light again very very early. I am in Inverary tonight and it is about 10:30 and still quite light. The day seems like it never ends because we have not seen any actual night time for two weeks.

We were only there 2 full days, but enjoyed the heck out of them. I think your three days, since you want to take things a bit slower and be closer to the ground will be perfect.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 12:22 AM

I love Skye, such a beautiful place. When the weather is nice, you can spend all day just wandering around the amazing countryside. Wish I was going with you. Have a great time.