Do I need a coat?

Old Jun 14th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need a coat?

Hi,
I want to take a lift to Helbronner in Chamonix and take the lift to the top of Schilthorn in the Berner Oberland. I will probably walk around the deck, take some pictues, maybe do a dog sled, and hike around closer to the valley. Should I bring my winter jacket? Could I get by with a wind breaker, long wool shirt and wind breaker vest? I don't want to be miserable while I'm trying to enjoy the views, but I don't want to lug a coat around the rest of my trip if I don't need to. (I'm keeping it to one backpack) Thanks!!
Michelle
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 03:56 PM

On top of the Jungfrau we were OK with a shirt, cotton sweater and jean jacket. We were outside for about an hour - and it did get a little chilly - but not really uncomfortable. If you 're going to be outside all day in the snow I might bring a heavier sweater and/or fleece - but never a winter coat.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 03:59 PM

You really should mention that you're going the last half of June as the time of year matters.
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks adrienne....I meant to do that and forgot once I started typing! Yes, I'll be there in a few days....end of June time!

Michelle
Old Jun 14th, 2009, 04:13 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We spent two weeks in Switzerland in April, visited many mountain tops and never needed anymore than a fleece jacket and a waterproof/windproof jacket that fit over the fleece. We did use our fleece hats and gloves a few times, and we used our sunhats ALOT.

We hiked in the rain one day, so our rainpants came in handy, but that was in April.

Dress in layers and you'll be fine.
Old Jun 15th, 2009, 01:39 AM

I agree: a lightweight rain jacket and a fleece or other warm sweater/jacket that fits underneath the rain jacket are fine. Each of these two items alone can be useful elsewhere during your trip, too - the rain jacket, as rainy days or showers or thunderstorms can occur any time, and the fleece for chilly evenings.