Fairway Hotel London

Aug 2nd, 2006, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

Fairway Hotel London

Has anyone stayed at this hotel recently? What did you think?
Aug 2nd, 2006, 06:02 AM

clairefraser: If it were me I'd keep looking. The photos on the website look fine - but it is in Argyll street in front of Kings Cross station.

(I know - because of your studying up on the Scotland part of your trip - "Argyll" sounded like a good thing )

There are many budget hotels in nicer parts of London I'd pick before I'd stay in Kings Cross. It would be convenient to the station for the train to/from Scotland - but you can take the tube or a cab to nicer areas.

What is your budget?
Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks janisj! You have been so helpful. Can you suggest a better hotel in London? We would like something about 100 pounds per night at the max. What is wrong with Kings Cross?
Aug 3rd, 2006, 05:32 AM

Happy to help. "What is wrong with Kings Cross?" Well up til about 3-4 years ago the answer would have been you'd have to step over the drug addicts sleeping on the sidewalk and around the working "girls" (and a few "boys") and be very careful w/ your handbag. Then the whole area was torn up w/ MAJOR construction for the new Eurostar terminal. That apparently shooed off most of the "bad guys" - but it is just a VERY congested area w/ three train stations and lots of traffic/construction.

I forget - is it just the two of you or a family? If only 2 - I'd definitely recommend PriceLine. I'm not a big PL fan for a lot of places - but it is VERY good for London. Look at biddingfortravel.com and/or betterbidding.com. Both sites will tell you what hotels are being won at what bids, and offer bidding strategy. You could get a nice 4* hotel in a central area for $75 - maybe $125 (yes, dollars) instead of a so so hotel for £100+. Now, having said that - PL only works for doubles.

If you don't want to go the PL route - there are many moderate priced hotels near Victoria station and near Russell Sq/the British Museum. Russell Sq is not that far from KingsX - but far enough to mahe a huge difference.

I really can't recommend a specific hotel since 90% of my visits I rent flats but there are lots of good ones recommended on here and a search will bring up lots of info.
Aug 5th, 2006, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again Janisj. I am travelling with my husband and my son. I'll keep looking.