Termini Station - Seedy?

Aug 5th, 2006, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Termini Station - Seedy?

I'm read on alot of posts that the area around the Termini Station is not nice. Is the area all around the station (it looks big on a map) or just one section?

I'm staying at a hotel (on via Moderna) that says it is close by to the Termini Station - so, my question is how close is too close?

I definitely don't want to be in a seedy area; if anyone can give me an idea of how far to stay away from the Termini Station, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks so much!
Aug 5th, 2006, 07:42 AM

..I assume you are talking about Rome. This area used to be (about 20 yrs ago) very seedy with small hotels many of which were almost boarding houses for men from the country side who were working in Rome on the weekdays. Over the last 25 years many of these hotels have been spiffed up and I was quite surprized that although this area lacked "ambiance" there were some perfectly adequate hotels. I did not find safety an issue. I was staying on a street which was quiet esp for Rome which again was another very pleasant surprize.
Aug 5th, 2006, 08:23 AM

I stayed 3 blocks over from the train station on Principe Amedeo in 2003 and had no problems. Although I was never by myself, I was there with 3 other friends (2 females and 1 male), I never felt unsafe. If you use the same caution as any other big city, you will be fine. Enjoy your trip!
Aug 5th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the suggestions/advise. Are there nicer secttions to stay in (and still find somewhat reasonable hotels -up to 150E?
Aug 5th, 2006, 09:22 AM

<<Are there nicer secttions to stay in (and still find somewhat reasonable hotels -up to 150E?>>

Yes.

Look here:
http://www.eurocheapo.com/rome/hoods...-de-fiori.html

and here:
http://www.eurocheapo.com/rome/hoods/piazza-navona.html

Aug 5th, 2006, 08:59 PM

Some friends and I stayed for several weeks near Termini many years ago with no qualms. Recently an Italian-Australian friend of mine stayed there with a party of teenage students, and just cautioned against being in the station vicinity on Friday nights, when she said it was overrun by young Albanian men.