Rome neighbourhoods ?

Search

Rome neighbourhoods ?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2008, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome neighbourhoods ?

hello all.... been researching Rome hotels for a while, and there seems to be some good and not so good areas ? eg; found hotels with good reviews near the train station, but, the area is described as "seedy" and not nice... is this an area to avoid ?

cheers and thanks
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 04:20 PM

Is money an issue. We stayed in the old part of Rome near the Pantheon. Couldn't have been a better location. On our way home from Italy for convenience we stayed near the train station on our last night. Horrible. The old part of Rome is gorgeous. There is less congestion and traffic and you can walk almost anywhere if you like walking. If you're there, take advantage of it!
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 04:25 PM

Yes, the area around the train station is seedy. I stayed at 2 different hotels, coming and going out of Rome, paid more and was very disappointed. I would never stay in this area again. It's only convenient because of the proximity to the train station. Still, I would try to avoid it. In the last case, we were taking a car service to the airport so I wish we had known better.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 04:36 PM

Not all areas considered "near the train station" are equal. If you have some specific hotels you were considering, I'm sure those here or reviews on tripadvisor.com could advise you.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 06:59 AM

We always try to stay around Pantheon and Piazza Navona - known as Largo Argentina. Saves time and money on transportation to this area.

If you stay near station plan to take 64 or 42 bus to Largo Argentina daily and walk from there.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 07:28 AM

The real downside to staying near the termini in Rome is the lack of good restaurants, IMO. Campo Fiori is one of our favorite areas.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

hey, thanks for the advice.... I used Fodor forums and Trip Advisor almost obsessively when planning our cruise from Venice in 2006. I think the comments so far have convinced me to avoid the Termini area.

so, any suggestions on hotels, say, 200 Euros a night ($300 Canadian) in the Piazza Navona, Pantheon or Campo Fiori areas ?

thanks again
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 09:46 PM

Navona Garden Suites was the perfect location (near all three). Check their rates - they may go down in winter. Nice people/owners who put you at ease. Buy truffle paste across the street at Campo de Fiore --- wish I had more!
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 01:45 AM

Have a careful read of everything that is written in this very comprehensive thread:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34792021

It's one of Franco's threads and it really offers fantastic advice.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 10:25 AM

We've stayed at the Hotel Arenula about two blocks south of Largo Argentina, and we loved the area. Lots of great sights are walkable. We walked across the Tevere each night and ate in Trastevere.

http://www.hotelarenula.com

It was 95 Euro for a double when we were there last Nov/Dec. Seems to be 98 now off-season.

From the airport, we took the local train (FR1 I think) to Trastevere and then the #8 tram -- got off 1 stop before Argentina. Or you can take the Leonardo Express to Termini and then take the #40 express bus to Argentina.

SS
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 11:35 AM

I have stayed at the Hotel Universo which is a few blocks from Termini down a side street...nice hotel..internet cafe directly across the street ...wonderful pizza place at the corner and two nice restaurants on the other corner. We walked from Termini to the Universo with no hassles.
Have also stayed at the Hotel Santa Maria in Trastevere. Great location and hotel...tip take the regular i believe it is R1 train from the airport and save..the fare to Trastevere station is around 4-6euros.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 12:11 PM
sac

Hi Bluemoose, it is tough to stick to a budget with the loonie dipping so low these days.....But for 200 euro a night you could do very well.

I really prefer the historic centre of Rome. You can stroll around all day, or go for dinner and a walk in the evening and always feel safe with plenty to see and do. I've walked around the Termini train station area at night, and it's not pleasant. For one thing, as others point out, there are fewer restaurants, few lovely things to see when you're strolling, fewer people (which becomes a safety concern!)

I've stayed several times at the Residenza in Farnese, which is really lovely and (to my mind) in a perfect spot. http://www.residenzafarneseroma.it/default_en.asp

It's just off the Piazza Farnese, which is just off the Campo dei'Fiori. The Pantheon and Piazza Navona are perhaps a 10 minute walk in one direction; the Vatican, a 15 minute walk in the other direction. The Ghetto and Trastevere are a few minutes away as well.

I have found the hotel prices on the website are listed a bit high, but if you email the hotel and barter a bit, they can sometimes reduce their prices. Especially during quieter periods.

When do you plan to travel to Rome?
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

thanks.... you must be a fellow Canuck ? we are flying to Rome Oct 16/09, and then starting a cruise Oct 19/09, then, upon return, we are driving to Venice for a few days and then back....

at the end of the day, after air costs, cruise cost, car rental, eating, drinking and shooping, I figure to spend $7,500 to $8,500, so, fussing about another $50/$100 for a Rome hotel seems silly.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 03:59 PM

We stayed between Campo Fiori and Largo Argentina--very short distance between the two. Just north of there (a few blocks) is the Pantheon and Piazza Navona. All these are within short walking distances of each other so you can't go wrong with any of them. It's a great section of the city to stay in.

A little further away from them is the Vatican City to the west and the Colosseum/Roman Forum area to the east.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 09:09 AM
sac

Hi Bluemoose, I am indeed a proud Canuck (a transplanted Albertan, actually) and my trips to Italy always seems to coincide with drops in the value of the loonie!

So I'm budget conscious when I travel but try not to be obsessive about it and I try to avoid false economies like trying to save money by staying outside the historic centre. I tried that once, stayed at a hotel in Rome out past the Termini area, because it was relatively cheap. Big mistake -- I couldn't easily walk to sites, it wasn't fun strolling in the evenings, I did make some use of the subway to get around. But I felt edgy and this put a damper on that trip, and so it really wasn't worth the dollars I "saved."

Rome is never cheap but prices might be a bit softer when you're traveling, towards the end of October. I really like the Farnese, but there are plenty of good hotels in the historic centre. I've also heard v. good things about the Hotel Ponte Sisto, Hotel Campo dei Fiori and Hotel Teatro di Pompei...all in the same central area.

Are you actually planning to drive to Venice from Rome, post-cruise? Have you looked into the Eurostar high-speed train? It might be more efficient and less hassle.

Happy trip planning!
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 09:33 AM

Piazza Farnese is a wonderful spot. Love the buildings around there. There is a great palazzo that Michelangelo actualy worked on just up from Via Giulia few streets east of the Piazza Farnese that is one of my favorites. You'd never know it is hding there.

I always try to stay in centro storico also. Walkig that area is so much fun!

Old Nov 14th, 2008, 02:40 PM

Spent last week in Rome (in Paris this week). Hadn't been to Italy for several years and just want to note that we found it more expensive now that the euro has come to town Example: 2euro for a Snickers bar--not even a big one. Cafe was--even standing up at a workers place--4 or 5 euro.

We stayed in an apartment along the Tiber on Lungotevere Marvio, very close to the Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Vatican and Castel Sant Angelo. All were within easy walking distance.

However, we wouldn't stay on the Lungotevere again because the birds in the trees were unbelievable! Thousands of them alit each evening and screamed all night long. DH and I were both pooped on twice and the smell made it impossible to walk the street or sit on our balcony.

By the way, Rome is worth the money--the people were all wonderfully friendly and the city is unbelievable in so many ways.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 02:22 AM

I haven't been to Rome in 30 years, but will be there in the spring. Four of us arrive on two separate flights with different airlines from Los Angeles in the morning, will spend one night in Rome at the Best Western Canada near Termini, depart the next morning for Capri, and then Amalfi, and finally ending back in Rome for four nights in junior suites at the Residenza Cellini, also near Termini. Are these bad neighborhoods? I chose to be near Termini for our morning train to Naples. Also, near Termini later as we want to take a couple of day trips outside the city. Both hotels are highly recommended on Tripadvisor and both were very responsive via email. Would appreciate your comments about the area.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 06:50 AM

luvtotravel's question speaks exactly to my point about the Termini neighborhood. Much about the location depends on how close to Termini or to which side of Termini.

Residenza Cellini is certainly "near Termini" but in the direction of Piazza della Repubblica, a perfectly OK though busy, charmless neighborhood.

Best Western Canada might be considered on the "wrong side" of Termini, but it is a few blocks north and just far enough away to be less seedy than the neighboring streets. Again, charmless.

Considering your plans to stay one night and head out, both are reasonable choices. For your longer stay, I'd prefer the Cellini's location. Both of these locations have a real "city" feel with straight busy streets, not the pedestrian only maze of streets of the Pantheon/Piazza Navona area.
Old Nov 15th, 2008, 07:11 AM

Have only scanned all of the responses, but I must agree with the poster who didn't like the food choices around Termini. It is so nice to be near good places to eat at the end of those long tourist days!

Addressing "seedy"-we stayed in the Termini area and felt it to be a more working class. We were never afraid. Although our hotel was basic, the people were lovely and we were steps to the tram.

That all being said, do look at OP here at Trip Advisor-you won't go wrong!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -