Extremadura Or Andalucia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2003, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Help! I'm planning a trip for late September and have found charming villages/hotels that sound great in both regions. I can't decide which to do. Any suggestions or thoughts?
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 06:04 PM

Are you a first time visitor to Spain? Do you speak Spanish? How much time do you have to travel on your trip? Are you a person who loves bigger cities or smaller villages? Will you have a car to drive?<BR><BR>Maria
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

Been to Madrid, Barcelona, Seville &amp; Granada. Speak spanish. 6 days. Plan on renting a car. Thanks
Old Apr 19th, 2003, 06:58 PM

In that case, I would suggest Extremadura rather than Andalucia if you have already &quot;done&quot; Sevilla and Granada and probably other parts of Andalucia. We, also, have travelled fairly extensively in other parts of Spain and now are planning an Extremadura trip in November of this year. We are also adding on the Cadiz and Huelva and Coto Donana areas of Andalucia which will be &quot;new&quot; for us.<BR><BR>As much as I am looking forward to our Extremadura trip and I know we will have a great time with lots of &quot;off the beaten track&quot; places, I would not suggest it as a first trip to Spain for others. Same with someone who does not speak Spanish as I think knowing the language will be much more important in Extremadura than Madrid or Barcelona or even Sevilla.<BR><BR>But with your previous Spain travel and language ability I think that the Extremadura trip will be a great new adventure.<BR><BR>So, I am sorry that I do not have first hand info to offer you right now but I think when Maribel returns from her trip to Spain she will help us both. You probably already know this, but in September Extremadura will be VERY warm still so plan your packing accordingly.<BR>
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 04:26 AM

You might be able to see a little bit of both areas. How long will you be there? If you are there for 14-15 days, you can rent a car in Madrid and can do a &quot;loop&quot; and see Guadalupe, Trujillo, Caceres, Merida, Zafra, Arcos, Ronda, Baeza-Ubeda, and then return the car back to Madrid or return the car in Cordoba and take the AVE back to Madrid.
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 04:50 AM

My husband and I leave for Spain in 2 weeks. We will be spending time in Granada, Ronda, Sevilla, Extremadura, Toledo and Madrid. We will be renting a car and we don't speak Spanish with the exception of a few basic words. We are adventuresome (in our 40s) and will tackle the language barrier as we encounter it with help from a phrase book. Wish us luck.
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 11:06 AM

GOOD LUCK and have a nice trip!
Old Apr 20th, 2003, 08:54 PM

We just got back from our first trip to Spain. A week in Costa de Sol with day trips to Grenada, Ronda, etc. Then 11 days traveling to Sevilla, Extremadura, Toledo, Segovia &amp; Madrid. We honestly didn't find much difference in language issues wherever we went. In general, very few people spoke English, but we never found it a problem, despite our minimal Spanish. People were uniformly pleasant and helpful, especially when we tried to use the language. Also, we found so many different dialects, what was easily understood in one area would get us blank looks in the next. A phrase book should work fine. I also used a CD set I bought at Costco for $15.95 the month before we left. It was extremely helpful...especially practice understanding directions! The only place we found a lot of people speaking English was in Madrid, however, there were fewer people there that we wanted to talk with. Given where you've already been, I'd pick Extremadura, making a loop over to Guadalupe and Toledo, which was one of our favorites. I think I liked it even better than Sevilla! Caceres was wonderful...We stayed at the Parador there which is spectacular (it's a castle). The parador in Merida is also excellent, and Merida has fantastic Roman ruins. We stopped in Trujillo for a lunch break only, and thought it was enough. Didn't make it to Guadalupe, but heard it is great. Feel free to e-mail me direct if you want more ideas or info! Natalie ([email protected])
Old May 3rd, 2003, 08:22 PM

Ah, so lucky to be traveling through Extremadura! My parents have been living in Badajoz for the past year and a half, and I made my first visit there last December. We made many day trips to &quot;las afueras&quot; and I second many of the places already listed such as Guadalupe, Toledo, and Merida. If you want to get a feel for a truly small village, then a trip to Feria to see the castle by navigating the narrow, narrow streets is a must! From the tower looking out across the valley, you have hills of olive trees on the one side, and the plains stretching out on the other. The town itself is somewhat reminiscent of the &quot;white towns&quot; to be found more in the southern region. La Iglesia de la Magdalena in Olivenza is beautiful, and easily combinable with a trip in the direction of Feria. Another small pueblo with a castle and a tremendous view is Alburquerque. Enjoy your trip!
Old May 3rd, 2003, 09:06 PM

Hi Gotracey, I agree with Maria and
Presocia, the matter in fact I am taking note to go to Feria ....sounds great.
Another place we enjoyed in Extremadura is Plascencia. The have the newest Parador and it is beautiful ! built in an old convent at the top of a little hill, you can arrive in stlyle through its garage elevator.
The garage door is down hill.
From there we also took interesting day trips one to the famous Monasterio de Yuste,last home of Carlos V and to Jaranilla de la Vera, Valverde la Vera etc. and going north to Hervas. etc.
Guadalupe , Trujillo and Caceres as well as Merida are all real gems.
Buena Suerte.
Old May 4th, 2003, 10:57 AM

To Maria:

Regarding your visit to Parque Nacional de Donana. I hope you will enjoy this place as much as we did.

Last March my husband and I spent two and half days in Parque Nacional de Donana when staying in Mazagon Parador. But we are hikers and bird watchers who love quiet places without any crowds and that's what we found around Parque Nacional de Donana. We walked on the widest beach with unforgettable sand dunes.

For us it was a perfect visit. Parador Mazagon was wonderful with very accommodating staff and great food. About 15-20 minutes from our Parador on the way to the airport in Seville we visited Monasterio de la Rabida where Colmbus stayed and got his support. You can see the dining room where he and his son Diego dined. Frescos gloryfying his life are a gem and 3 euros per person included not only admission but also an excellent audio guide in English. It is a place that is worty to visit so we were very surprised that during two hours we spent there not even one other visitor came

Have fun wherever you go during your trip