Extra 10 days before returning to France...help me decide

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2007, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. I have a dilemna that I need help with please. I'm 21 and am graduating college this August and will be traveling in Europe for 25 days aug 31-sept 25. My travel partner is leaving me, and I will have 10 days by myself. she departs out of France, and I have to depart out of france too. Should I spend those 10 days near Paris, perhaps go to Switzerland or Spain? Or do you think its doable that I can take a small flight to Greece and make it back in time 9 days later to leave out of Paris? Anyone have any other suggestions? I hear Spain is great and I've never been, but I've also always wanted to go to Greece.

Please please throw some suggestions my way. Thanks everyone!
You can email me at [email protected]. I'll probably end up checking that sooner than this. Thanks again!
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 03:56 AM

Hi chrisant921,

Yes, I strongly recommend you spend those 10 days in Switzerland, one of my favorite places on earth!

If you can give us more information, we may be able to help you more. What's your last stop before your partner departs from Paris? What are your interests -- history, museums, dining, & shopping, or hiking & biking?

If, however, you are leaning toward beach destination, maybe you should take a look at www.whichbudget.com to see if you could take a cheap flight to Spain or Greece.

Good luck!

s
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 05:02 AM

The southern coast of Spain, Costa del Sol, is a great place for a short break. Pick up a cheap flight from Paris to Malaga. Lay on the beaches, go on some good tours, do some shopping, eat some good food.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. You all are so helpful. Let me give you more info.

My cousin is leaving me in Paris on Sept 15th, I'll have been there for only 4 days. Should I stay in France a bit longer? Perhaps go to Southern France? At this point, I'll have to be on a budget. (college student)

Interests: I love beautiful scenary, people watching, Somewhere warm, Beaches, [bargain]shopping, good food and wine.

I have ten days, so I can even incorporate in a few places before I have to make it back to Paris to go back to the states on the 25th.

I hear Switzerland is really expensive... so ten days there might be too much. If I made one stop in Switzerland for a couple of days, what city do you recommend? I have a hookup with hotels, and I found one in Zurich. How is this city?

From searching these threads, I've heard that Spain might be dangerous. My family is already hesitant enough about me being alone for 10 days. Should I be hesitant to go to Spain by myself?

Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 08:49 AM
nbujic

In 10 days you can see more of France ( including the coast)by train or bus , if you are on a budget.
There a cheap flights from Paris to Spain.
You may wish to visit Barcelona and
Palma for the beaches. I would not go to Switzerland ( not that interesting unless you wish to hike) or Greece ( too short to go island hopping AND alone)

Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 09:32 AM

A couple of suggestions:

a) Go to a language school for a week and add a few days on either side to explore the region (a limited number will let you enrol for a week, most require two weeks). The school provides a ready-made environment for meeting people, going sightseeing and you can learn more about the culture and history of the place you're visiting. You could book a homestay with a family, which would be inexpensive. You could do this in Paris, or somewhere like Amboise or Tours in the Loire Valley, or Bordeaux.

2) Book an active tour, such as a walking tour, with a group like Sherpa or Explore. There are walking tours, multi-activity tours, bicycling tours, etc. Again, it's a good way to meet people, and the active nature of the trip brings you closer to the real world of the places you're visiting (instead of the drive-by Contiki type tours). Stay for an extra day or so at the end of the trip, and then head back to Paris.

Either option would reassure your parents and provide an interesting way for a novice traveller to explore. You also might find, at the end of your trip with your travelling companion, that you're a little burned out and inclined to sit around instead of making the most of your remaining ten days. Booking something like a language holiday or activity tour ensures that you stay engaged, without requiring huge amounts of get-up-and-go on your part.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 01:44 PM

Athens is a 3.5 hour flight out of Paris. I don't know how expensive that would be, but you definitely have time to do it with 10 extra days. There may be charter flights available, so definitely take swandav 200's great advice, and check out whichbudget.com. You might even be able to fly directly from Paris into Chania, Crete, which is a fantastic old port city on a beautiful harbor, very lively, and full of other 21-year-old travelers in the summer. From Heraklion, Crete, ( two hours from Chania by bus, pretty cheap!) you can take a hydrfoil or reg. ferry to Santorini, one of the most beautiful spots on earth. Then either fly or ferry back to Athens and on to Paris. AHHHH.....
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 02:07 PM

Hi chrisant921,

I agree that you should skip Switzerland for this trip -- it's a gorgeous place and it can be done on the cheap. But it's not a place to rush through imo, so do save it for a time when you can enjoy it.

The best of Switzerland is in the country, away from the cities. Zurich is a neat city, as cities go, but the mountains and mountain villages are much, much nicer. But it does take some time to get there and to enjoy all the activities.

You should be able to find some nice beachy location for your ten days!

s
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 02:19 PM

I agree skip Switzerland this time around. It's expensive and IMHO it's kind of an old people's destination compared to, say, the Greek islands or Barcelona or the south of France.

With 10 days, I'd spend another 3 days in Paris, which gives you a full week there (there's plenty to do, so that's not too much time), then hop a flight to the Greek islands (check www.whichbudget.com for cheap airfares). It's a great venue for a 21-year-old and the contrast with Paris will make for a unique vacation.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Wow, you all are so helpful! Funny you mention doing a language school. I was signed up to do that for a week in Venice, but canceled it because even though it was inexpensive (around $800)(It was with Bridge Abroad) I figured I can see more places for that amount of money, plus- I've already been to the lovely Venice a couple of years ago.

I'm really leaning towards Greece. Everywhere I read, I hear how beautiful Santorini is...and just thinking about Greece gets me excited!

whichbudget.com doesn't fly to Greece from Paris. Any other suggesions?

So If I go with Greece, should I fly into Athens first? Athens is definately a must for me, for all the history there. How long should I stay in Athens, and then which islands should I go to in the amount of time that I have? (which will probably be about 7 by the time I travel to and from Paris)

Any ideas for ways I can meet people on the islands (safely?) Any reasonable tours? Should i stay in hostels, or are the hotels cheap there? I'm going to take your advice and look into walking tours.

My family is already very worried about the idea of me being by myself...so any more specific ideas are much appreciated!

THANK you so much!