Search

Europe

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europe

Hello,

I am looking to get away for about 10 days to Europe. I am considering the Amalfi Coast area. Does anyone have any advice on how to get there, air, car etc? I am not familiar with the airports or trains in Italy. I am looking for somewhere where I can relax and enjoy the scenery but also shop and visit some historical sites. Thank you. I am open to other cities in Italy, France, Spain.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 05:44 AM

You need to tell us where you're traveling from.

The Amalfi coast is very beautiful. With 10 days, you could certainly couple it with Rome if you wanted to.

Most people fly into Rome for the Amalfi Coast and then either rent a car or train down, either to Sorrento or Salerno. From there it's either bus or ferry.

My personal preference is the French Riviera and Provence. The scenery is probably not as dramatic as the Amalfi coast, but I prefer French culture--the markets, the architecture, the diversity of cities, towns, and villages. Others will feel differently.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 05:59 AM

Okay, I read some of your previous posts and I see you've been to Rome and also to the south of France. 10 days for the Amalfi Coast, including Capri, along with Pompeii and Paestum (a Greek temple) would work and satisfy your desire for historic sights. The trains and other public transportation in this region are easy to use. Once you're sure this is where you want to go, post again and many here can give you specifics. And I always like to start with a guidebook just so I get the basics down before asking a lot of broad questions here.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. I prefer France too. I've been to Marseille, Nice, Monaco and also Rome, Florence and Venice in Italy. I have to be honest, I am comfortable driving in France but not so certain in Italy. I speak a little french so maybe that is why I have been watching that darn show Passport to Europe and the Amalfi Coast and Sorrento look beautiful! I just want to get away, alone, think and enjoy everything about the cities. I am traveling from St. Louis MO.
Guide book suggestions would be appreciated. Now that you mention it, I do have the green book for Italy, I'll pull it out.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 02:54 PM

Well, I've driven in both France and Italy, and French drivers are definitely more sane. And I would not even dream of attempting to drive on the Amalfi Coastal Highway. Curvy, with sheer drops and other drivers going too fast. I didn't even want to take the bus after the first time I did it. Luckily, ferries link most of the towns.

Yes, the Amalfi Coast is a great place to just be and soak up the atmosphere. That said, it can be very romantic, and being alone in places such as this can be sad at times for a lot of people. So you might give that some thought.

Are you hoping to meet other travelers? If so, I find that bigger cities are better for this than places like the Amalfi Coast. Maybe that's not a priority for you though.

Are you traveling this summer? If so, make your reservations quickly. God only knows what airfare will cost you.

For summer travel, you may also want to consider the English countryside, and the Swiss and Austrian Alps. If not this summer, then someday.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 02:58 PM

Re: guidebooks, I like Lonely Planet. But then I tend to be a budget traveler. Fodor's is a good mainstream type of guidebook.