Experiences in Ireland B & B's???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question about the B & B's in Ireland. We are planning our trip in May to the S.W. and are wondering where to stay.

There seems to be mostly B & B's. My only concern is that we like to stay out late, well, till around midnight that is. When we are on vacation we like to take advantage of our time and are doing something every minute. Is it like staying at someone's house where you will disturb if you come in late? Is it like a hotel where you can come and go as you please? I just feel funny about staying in someone's house. Is it like that? It's not that we are unsocialbe, we like to talk to people of course, but we also like to feel comfortable about coming and going without feeling that we are disturbing others.
What have been some of your experiences?
Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 06:20 AM

First of all out in the countryside there will be few if any places you will be out until midnight.

Second - in many B&Bs you get a key to the front door so you can come and go whenever you want.

They are private homes so you do need to come in quietly and not loud/boisterous. But that should apply even in hotels.

There are hotels and B&Bs all over the country - but outside of the cities, most hotels are really quite small 10 - 20 room or less so even in theose you really won't be coming/going anonymously . . . . .
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 06:46 AM

In addition to what janis said, we've also found that there's a wide variety of approaches to what is called a "B&B"

There's no shortage of B&B signs hanging everywhere, in front of ordinary houses in rural, town and city settings. We found though that many of the B&Bs we've stayed really funtioned as small inns. Mal Dua house in Clifden, or a small place whose name escapes me in Waterford were examples of this. They had parking; a small counter near the front door to facilitate doing business; a main "living area" that was setup to function as a lobby of sorts; and a hall or stairway leading to numbered ensuite rooms. The primary difference was that the "lobby" is not staffed and that you get a key. Sometimes you're asked, sometimes you ask, sometimes it's just handed over. Not all B&Bs are run the same, so it's good to ask ahead about the key. I could see being down at the pub until late (but don't come staggering in!). If you're reserving in advance, it's hard to tell what the atmosphere outside the room will be like. Try if you can find websites with pics.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

I just want to say we are nice, well behaved 50 year olds that don't really drink much and so we don't plan on stumbling in and knocking things over, when we end our night. It's just that I didn't want to feel worried about distrubing others if we came in late. Okay, so there won't be much to do in the country and we may not be coming in late. I just wondered what the atmosphere might be like. We are not used to staying in a B & B when we go on vacations. We usually stay in hotels. Thanks for your replys. You have been very helpful so far!
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 07:41 AM

There's a lot of experience available on this board. If you ask for specific recommendations for the "inn-type" B&Bs in the villages and towns you plan to stay in, things might be easier. As a general rule, look for the words "purpose built" meaning that the B&B was DESIGNED AND BUILT from the get-go with the intention of being used as a B&B, rather than an existing home that was 'converted' after the fact.
Carriglea House, (particularly the Converted Carraige House) in Killarney and The Lighthouse B&B in Dingle Town are two examples that come to mind.
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 09:54 AM

when I went to Ireland, I stopped at the tourist information desk at the Dublin airport and picked up a copy of the Town and Country B&B guide. We used it to find all the places we stayed. This is an association of B&B's. They were all of excellent quality and good value. I think they have a website - townandcountry.ie
Old Feb 19th, 2005, 10:23 PM

I have stayed at B&Bs in Ireland for decades. Most give you a key to the front door so you can come and go as you please. I don't see any problems as long as you are quiet coming in so as not to disturb other guests who may have had an early night and be asleep already.

Call Tourism Ireland and order your FREE copies of Town & Country B&B book and Be Our Guest: Hotels & Guesthouses. 1-800-223-6470. B&Bs tend to be a lot less expensive than hotels and guesthouses, which is why many of us prefer to stay in them. Also, interaction with Irish hosts and other tourists at breakfast is a plus. You might want to try a mix of B&Bs, guesthouses and hotels to experience the differences.

Old Feb 25th, 2005, 08:41 AM

Bear in mind that we use public transportation exclusively so there may be a slight hike to places but not really more than fifteen minutes from a bus stop or train station.

Arrived Shannon airport on Sunday and caught bus to Limerick. A friend we met at the bus shed told us where to get off and instructed the driver to make sure he stopped there. He did and we walked up the short cul-de-sac to Glen Eagles (not that Glen Eagles, but very nice.) <[email protected]> About 30 Euros pps ensuite. Helen and Patrick Daly

In Dingle on Monday we stayed at Dingle Heights. <www.dingleheights.com, or [email protected]> Ask for a front room overlooking the harbor. Bridie Fitzgerald was our hostess. Very nice view and about 30 Euros pps ensuite. We had our first, of many, bowl, of Irish stew at O'Grady's across from the tourist board along the waterfront. We lucked out and were able to attend a folk concert of harp, guitars, penny whistle at St. James Church. But we heard lots of music around town as we went back to our bnb after the concert. One place is a hardware store by day and a pub by night! We got cheated out of our tour to Slea Head by the well know local tour operator who renigged on our email reservation. So we will have to go back! And use someone else.

Stayed in Killarney at Cloghroe <[email protected]> about 30 Euros pps ensuite, on Tuesday and did the Gap of Dunloe (three lakes by boat and through the Gap by jaunting car (otherwise a 7 mile walk) on Wednesday. Glad we didn't do the Ring of Kerry. Our hostess Margaret arranged the tour for us. Ate at Murphy's, known for it's pub grub.

Had to spend Wednesday night in Tralee since it is a long haul by bus from Killarney to Doolin. Stayed at The Willows, about five minutes from the bus station. <wwwthewillowsbnb.com or [email protected]> About 30 Euros pps ensuite. On Mary's recommendation we went to the Grand Hotel and ate in the pub section. Excellent food. Next day we walked out (rode the bus back) to the Blennerville Windmill before having to catch our bus to Doolin.

On Thursday night in Doolin we stayed at Nellie Dees. <www.nellie-dees.com or [email protected]> The bus driver will drop you at the door if you ask and it is across the road from one of the hostels. Only about five years old, all wood floors, very nice. Jimmy and Loraine Spencer. About 30 Euros pps ensuite. It was a bit of a hike to downtown Doolin but there were two pubs (out of 3) very nearby where we spent the evening eating delicious Irish stew and listening to trad music at McDermott's.

The next morning we hiked into town ("just a wee walk and a right at the bridge&quot. We passed several bnbs on the way that looked nice. We caught the ferry to Inishoor. Had to ride a carrick out to the ferry because the tide was out. That was a neat experience, although my wife was not really keen on it but nobody fell overboard.

Arrived on Inishoor (Inishere) on Friday and headed to our bnb, Tigh Searraigh. About 25 Euros pps ensuite. <[email protected]> Basic but clean and warm. Went for a tour around the island. It is only 2 km 2km so we knew we couldn't get too lost but the stone fences did start looking just like the last one. My wife got her Aran sweater made (supposedly) on the island. We went to pub (Fitzgerald's I think. There are only about 3 places to eat on the island) for supper and music. A bit of wait for the music but the food was great and the strawberry rhubarb pie was so good we ordered a second round. Bailey’s ice cream on it was heavenly. I have never tasted such a delicious ice cream! Called it a night about 10 PM and was up the next day to catch the 9 AM ferry back to Doolin and 12 noon bus to Ennis for our last night before catching our flight out of Shannon.

Saturday night we stayed at Stonehaven in Ennis <www.stonehaven-clare.com or [email protected]> about 15 minute walk from bus station but Marie would have collected us if we had called. Very nice family, especially Joseph the 7 year old. About 30 Euros pps ensuite. Ennis is a market town and we were there Saturday, market day. Neat!

Back to the train/bus station for our bus to Shannon airport and on to Scotland..

You can certainly see more if you rent a car but we didn't want the stress. Also, we noticed that more pubs are catching on to the attraction of pub grub by tourists and are starting to provide table service instead of us ordering at the bar. The price sometimes increases accordingly.

This may be more than you really wanted to know but we had a blast and are talking about doing the same tour again. I probably would not do Dublin again but there is something about the Southwest of Ireland that is magical. I will send you some Irish links if you will send me your email address. We are in Virginia Beach, VA [email protected]
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 08:54 AM

My wife and I were about your age when we drove around Ireland and stayed at B&B's and had no problem at all. It is just a place to sleep and have breakfast (which was always very good). They are in business so you can behave just like you would if you stayed at a hotel or were visiting someone home. Relax, and enjoy. You'll find the people who run the B&B's are wonderful and friendly just like most of the Irish we met all over the country.