EXCURSIONS IN TRIBERG, GERMANY

Jun 22nd, 2005, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

EXCURSIONS IN TRIBERG, GERMANY

My family and I are going to Europe for the first time. We will be spending three days in the black forest, Triberg, Germany. We haven't been able to find any excursions or things to do other then shopping for cukoo clocks and such. Any suggestions? Can we get around without a car because we didn't plan on renting one.
Jun 23rd, 2005, 04:50 AM

I should think the Black Forest without a car would be very difficult.

We stayed there a couple of days - and did a lot of exploring of small towns - a little walking (I refuse to call it hiking even if it's up a big hill with a waterfall) went to Schaffhausen to see the Rhine Falls etc. Very realxing and low key. (And yes, we did buy a cukoo clock.)

Not sure why you decided to go to Triberg - esp for 3 days - if you don;t know what there is to do there.

Perhaps you would be happier exploring a city? Or doing a boat trip along the Rhine?
Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:52 AM

hello ledhead,

The black forest is a great place to visit with or without a car. I assume you are going in the warm weather months as you didn't say when you are going.

Taking the train to various areas is both a good thing and a bad thing in the schwarzwald. Trains are good in that you can get to most of the scenic places via regional trains and see some pretty scenery at the same time without having to navigate mountainous roads. They are bad in that you usually have to make a few transfers to get where you are going and that often eats up more time than desirable.

From Triberg you could go to just about any of the major schwarzwald sites, areas within 2 hours by train, often less. My favorites are:

1. Baden Baden...neat town to stroll.
2. Black Forest High Road between Baden Baden and Fruedenstadt....beautiful scenery, crisp air.
3. Feldberg mountain...great little walk up the hill from a parking area where you can see the world.
4. Titisee...pretty little lake area to hike around.
5. Baden Wine Road.....tons of little villages and vineyards with tasting rooms, hiking trails through the vines, great little restaurants etc etc.

Jun 23rd, 2005, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the good advice regarding Triberg. Sorry, you guys are right. I am new here and I didn't mean to post it twice. Also, will not capitalize any more. We are going June 30th to Paris, London, Triberg and Florence. We are german and I have family who years ago visited the Black Forest and loved it. That is why we picked the Black Forest.
Thanks again!
Jun 23rd, 2005, 04:49 PM

You don;t mention how long the trip is - or what transport you will be using - primarily train? But I would think you would have much more flexibility in Germany with a car.

Depending on your time available - you might want to drive from Paris - since the train connections don;t seem very good - and then drop the car perhaps in Basle before taking the train on to Italy.