Exchange Rate = Cost of trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like Poland is no longer a budget destination - were most is overpriced to it's real value thanks to Poland's latest exchange rate for it's currency ($1=3.15zl)... I guess Euro have resolved much of the issue in EU for countries that have it. It got so bad that in Warsaw what you are paying for a 4 star hotel you would pay for much better 4 or even 5 star in Paris...

Any other countries in same situation lately, were you are being asked to pay premium for something that is not - due to the exchange rate?
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 12:20 PM

In Prague, since the fall of Communism, you've always paid top dollar for accomodation
Old Mar 2nd, 2006, 05:41 PM

The problem in Prague is not Communist - it's Capitalist - everyone wants to go there and there is a shortage of hotel rooms - therefore prices skyrocket. Once they build more hotels rates should begin tosteady. In the meantime - there's always renting a room in someone's apartment for a real budget choice.
Old Mar 22nd, 2006, 12:33 AM

Hotel prices. Most travellers to Poland are on a business trip. Hotel rates are set accordingly. European tourists do not use 3-4 star accommodations. 'Budget' travel is available. Prices in Poland are at two levels. Resident needs and wants are inexpensive. Visitor hotels and restaurants and such are expensive. Note, postage for Air Mail to USA is at $1. A glass of tap beer (500ml) costs from $1 to $7 depending on the venue. Poles buy can/bottles in shops from 50 cents up. Really good 750/700ml. bottle of wine, $2. Slovakia had or has a two tier pricing scheme. A low price for natives and a high price for guests!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Good Wine for $2 in Poland??? I think you may have Poland confused with Germany or using some old exchange rate when converting zl to $ ... As for things being cheap for Poles ... hmm with zloty being so high up Poland is not producing but buying all from outside where it is cheaper - this also means over 25-35% unemployment and Poles trying to get jobs outside of Poland.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 11:29 PM

USA..Try Trader Joe's. On our last visit we bought wine at about $2 for 750ml. We bought one bottle, tried it, and then bought more. Poland, every wine merchant sells Bulgarian wines! Recent prices begin at 7 zloty. I'm trading at 3.2 zloty per $. .7l or .75l bottles come to $2.19. We found a Moldovian Merlot for $4.75. We have learned that doubled prices do not guarantee doubled quality/taste! Regional hotels are available at less than Warszawa prices. City 4/5 star hotels are for business travellers. It is a matter of 'culture' that German business travellers bring back outrageous expense reports. Try comparing theater/opera prices. London/Lodz. Parter/Stall seats are about $8. London?
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 04:33 AM
Neopolitan

I guess I'm a little confused about the pricing thing in Poland. Are you sure you're not simply looking at the number of zl's you get to the dollar rather than the actual prices you pay?
Yes I know costs have gone up, but I even checked a few hotel chains at random -- Starwood and Le Meridien, and I find for the same dates, similar hotels are still considerably cheaper in Warsaw than Paris (which is not really a good example anyway since most know that Paris remains a pretty major bargain for hotels -- you ought to try comparing them to London!)
For example the lovely Le Meridien Bristol in Warsaw offers a full range from 119 to a top of 179 euro a night. Le Meridiens in Paris range from 175 to over 350 euro per night.

Gee, a top room at Le Meridien in Poland for 179 euro? I sure wouldn't complain!

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

stayed in Le Meridien Bristol in Warsaw on my last trip few months ago and you can't really compare that to Le Meridiens in Paris ... Hotel in Warsaw being at least 1 star less (despite it claims) - service was great - but hotel itself needs a "face lift" to be the standard it claims... got a promotional price of 160Euro for larger room ...

My basic point is that with today's exchange rate of 3.20zl for a 1$ you are not getting any bargains fast - and in many places prices are higher then in what I think better destinations ... if I had a choice between Paris or Warsaw - even with Paris slightly higher - I would consider Paris...

Truth is that this higher exchange rate is hurting Polish Tourism, were even most Poles would vacation outside of their country then staying in - due to prices ...

That said - I think you can still find many good deals in Poland, but it is much harder then it was a year or so ago...
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 07:41 AM

I don't know, I still think Poland (or at least Krakow) is moderately priced, if not dirt cheap. A kawa biala (cafe creme) at a good cafe still costs only £1 to $1.50. We had an excellent three course meal with a bottle of wine at a handsome restaurant in the Old Town for under $25 each. Our pretty, comfortable, spotlessly clean, centrally located 3* hotel cost us $60 a night (that's the rate for a triple), including full breakfast. We checked the rates on some chic 4* hotels near us and they were charging less than $140 for deluxe doubles with breakfast...that is cheaper than 4* in Paris unless you Priceline.
Coming from Vienna, we thought Krakow was very good value for money.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 07:42 AM

Oops, should be $1 to $1.50.
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 08:40 AM
Neopolitan

I guess it's all how you look at it. I haven't been to Warsaw since 2000. We did stay at Le Meridien and it was beautiful and wonderful (but I suppose they haven't redone it since). It was the second MOST expensive hotel we stayed in during that entire 5 month European trip. In fact, I looked in my journal and see we paid $160 US for a standard room. That seemed a lot six years ago. That's actually less than it is today!

Nearly everything else was a bargain though. I stopped looking at how many "whatevers" you get per dollar in any country long ago. That means nothing to me. The only thing that is important is what it ends up costing me in my own currency.

And for the idea that one might as well go to Paris as to Warsaw -- well, what can I say?

Old Mar 31st, 2006, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

"The only thing that is important is what it ends up costing me in my own currency." ... exactly my point and I'm sure for others as well...
I live in US - so when I travel to Poland I need to exchange ... traveling to Poland alot since I do like Poland I just found that lately I do need extra $$$ where I have paid less in past for things that did not change much in price in local currency - but basically due to exchange rate ...

BT > as I said you can still get good values but unfortunatly list is getting smaller do to the exchange rate ...
Old Mar 31st, 2006, 01:39 PM
Neopolitan

I guess you missed the point where I said I paid more for a room at Le Meridien Bristol 6 years ago than it costs today? I have no idea how many zlotskys that was then or now, nor do I care how many I got for a dollar then or now, but I do know the bottom line in US dollars.

And I realize it's a minor point, but can you name a place where prices haven't gone up in the past 10 years or so?

Old Apr 1st, 2006, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

"can you name a place where prices haven't gone up in the past 10 years or so?"
I guess in at Le Meridien Bristol Warsaw ;-) but seriously by travels to Poland are at least once a year where in my compares I never compare anything within more then 2-4years ...
And during those many of the hotels I've used have same price, also prices of some goods - even such as postcards, local papers, prices for some transportations, private services (as guide services, lodging, food) have been same or similar in Zloty, but higher in $ dollars (after exchange).

In short I think Poland is hurting from zloty being strong lately especially when it's economy is not there yet, were extra income from tourists would definitly NOT hurt.

Enjoy your travels!!!
Old Apr 1st, 2006, 05:58 AM
Original Poster

got a typo in previous -> "by travels to Poland are at least once a year"
should be:
my travels to Poland are at least once a year
Old Apr 2nd, 2006, 06:38 AM

Once more - Poland is a 2 tier country. Business travellers on expense accounts pay one price and tourists, both local and foreign pay another. Budget travellers do not stay in 5 star hotels. Poles love to travel, they use package tours. Query any Pole and you will learn that he has been to more countries than any USA citizen has. The PLN or zloty has ranged in value from almost 5 to the dollar to as low as 2.2, in the last ten years. Re: 5 and 4 star hotels. Hotels often opt for a 4 star rating as some taxes are cheaper!
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 01:09 AM

Exchange update. Krakow. We stayed at the Europejski Hotel. Total bill was 914 zlotych for one night, three rooms, seven people. I paid with a Visa credit card. My account was charged $283.38. 3.23 z per $. Today's posted rate is 3.28.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 05:55 PM

BTILKE, WHAT IS THE NAME OF THE HOTEL
IN THE OLD TOWN FOR $60.
LAST YEAR WE SPENT ABOUT 5 WEEKS IN
ROMANIA AND BULGARIA, SO ANYTHING WILL
SEEM EXPENSIVE TO ME.
Old Jun 10th, 2006, 03:56 PM

The hotel was the Hotel Batory. We booked it from the www.hotel.de site. That was an off-season rate (we went in early March). It included breakfast and taxes (if there were any). The hotel was very comfortable, my friend's single had three beds in it (known thereafter as the Goldilocks room). An easy walk to the main square in the old town. Nice little hotel restaurant.
Downside: the beds seemed a little short. If anyone in your party is, say, over 6'2", they might not be that comfortable.