Ever flown in the BA sleeper seats?

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever flown in the BA sleeper seats?

Have you ever flown in the BA sleeper seats? What was it like? Could you actually sleep? Were they worth it? If you could upgrade with a handful of FF points would you?
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 06:22 PM

Yes, I've flown first class on British Air to London from the US, and it was fabulous.

We used FF miles (this was back when BA was a partner with USAir), and oh boy, was it ever worth it! I slept the best I've ever slept on a flight.

They not only gave everyone a toiletry kit, but pajamas and slippers, and a duvet for your "bed". It was airline heaven! This was several years ago, so I don't know how it is now,

I've flown other airlines with sleeper seats since then, and it was nice, but nothing could top first class on BA.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 07:14 PM

Yes - heaven - yes - yes - absolutely! And have a Buck's Fizz while you're enjoying the ride.
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 10:15 PM

Received 77 Likes on 7 Posts
Well the OP is probably referring to New Club World (or NCW) which has sleeper seats in business class.

Yes, they're very nice and yards ahead of many other business class seats.

Pluses - Most of them (a couple of exceptions depending on aircraft) allow fairly tall people to stretch out. Good sized personal video screeens. Generally excellent catering and service in BA NCW.

Minuses - Not as wide as some competitors' sleeper seats, so your choice of sleeping positions is rather limited. The herringbone layout (windows face aft, aisles face forward) is weird if you're traveling alone - you face a stranger and sleep next to his/her feet (with a folding privacy screen that I understand is being replaced with an improved version - needed.) If you're in a window seat it can be awkward (read, impossible) to climb over the aisle seat to go to the loo if the other seat is reclined.

Takeoffs and landing facing backward are weird. Unusual positions required.

Would I upgrade? How long is a minute in New York?

Pictures of NCW seats here:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/709218/M/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/362328/M/
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Yes. I was talking about Business class as opposed to First Class. Is there a huge difference between the two in seats and service?
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 03:52 AM

No, but my husband has in Business class.
BA is the most comfortable according to him. When he travels with Qantas he always looks dreadful when he gets off the plane in Sydney, as the allegedly comfortable beds in business class are not! ....if he flies BA he is well rested and a very happy chappy.
I always travel in economy in the cheapest seat and dream of being upgraded one day to business.......
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 04:03 AM

I flew in the sleeper seats on a flight from Chicago to London in late November. Of course, they were exponentially more comfortable than seats in coach, but I didn't find them all THAT much of an improvement over their previous business class seats (I don't sleep well on planes, period). Agree with Gardyloo about the slight weirdness of the backwards facing seats (mine faced forward).
If you have the points, go for the upgrade. One other suggestion. If you are taking a night flight, I suggest you have dinner in the BA business class lounge instead of on the plane. The food is better, it's easier to eat sitting at a real table, and you can mix and match the menu choices.
First is even better than business, naturally. On the way back to London, I flew business while my colleague flew first. She was one of only 3 people in first. She said it was good, but not worth paying extra for (she was "bumped" into first by the company's travel department).
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 04:28 AM

I upgraded last year from Atlanta to Gatwick on BA last year with my daughters (ages 18 and 14) to club level (business). Although the food and amenities were nice, the cabin was extremely warm and I couldn't sleep. The cabin crew was also noticiably rude to those of us who "upgraded". Would I do it again? Probably not, it wasn't worth spending the extra $750.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 04:32 AM
awbaker

Last year I flew in BA First Class to London, and in BA business class on the return to NY. First was amazing -- albeit I felt a bit strange changing into the pj's but quickly got over that when I realized
how incredibly comfortable it is to fly in pj's! I slept the entire way so I did not truly get to enjoy all the aspects of the first class service, but it was a lovely sleep!

Business class was very pleasant, but I dearly missed my first class experience so it was a bit lost on me. I prefer Virgin upper class to BA business class, though.

Old Feb 25th, 2005, 04:36 AM
ira

>..it wasn't worth spending the extra $750.<

That's a 4* hotel and dinner for 2 at Taillevent.

Old Feb 25th, 2005, 05:04 AM

as quoted by Marcy

nothing could top first class on BA.

I have to respectfully disagree. Cathay Pacific F suites and service surpasses BA F by far.

Old Feb 25th, 2005, 05:07 AM

On BA staff behaviour.

I've managed to fly BA first or business for all kinds of reasons - from paying good money for the privilege to throwing a hissy fit when allocated a smoking seat to the nice lady at checkin feeling sympathetic when Mrs F's employers had paid for her to go in the front and mine hadn't. (Oh what it was to be a wage slave and get shareholders to squander money...)

And I've encountered their staff in every kind of mood - from straight out of charm school to "we're going to make everyone feel even worse than we do".

There is absolutely no correlation between their behaviour and how much you've paid or who you are. If they're feeling homicidal they're just as vile to people who've paid their own money going First to Australia and have loyalty cards made of platinum as they are to the backpackers in cattle class who've got their Glasgow shuttle tickets paid for by cornflake tokens.

When they're bitches, they're Equal Opportunity bitches. And that's just the blokes.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 10:41 AM

Lufthansa's first class is way better than BA's. In lufthansa you get none stop champage and caviar ! the last time I saw cavior on a BA flight was at least 3 years ago. With Lufthansa you definitely get what you pay for.

I've been on BA, Lufthansa, and SAS, Swiss, KLM and Lufthansa is my favorite.

Also, Lufthansa now has a new first class TERMINAL(not just a lounge) in which you can get a private room to sleep while waiting for your flight. Even if you have no time to sleep, you could just go relax, drink a glass of champagne, and when your flight boarding starts, a brand new private Mercedes S class whould take you straight to your plane !
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 11:26 AM

Flanner : LOL !

No one can say it like you do !
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 11:43 AM

I'm 1.75M/64Kg. BA's First and Business seats were great in '04.
M
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 12:25 PM

Eat too many BA F meals and that 64kg is in serious jeopardy.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 05:00 PM

GL,
No, despite the wine and decent food, as I run with the greyhounds.
M
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 07:18 PM

You chase buses? Cool.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 12:55 PM

The sweet, retired four legged racers are way faster and much more pleasant.
M